SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2010, 04:36 PM
sportflyer
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2004
355 Posts
Discussion
crimp tool for JST XH pins

Does anyone know what kind of crimper is to be use for these type of pins? Specifically the open barrel pin type is SXH-001T-P0.6 . These seem really small .

I have been manually crimping and soldering them for now, but its a real pain to do it with needle nose pliers .

Tks
sportflyer is offline Find More Posts by sportflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2010, 05:21 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Try these links:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=26

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2113798
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Nov 05, 2010, 11:41 PM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
This one will do a nicer job.

http://www.crazypc.com/products/crimp-tool-9145.html
radialarm is offline Find More Posts by radialarm
Old Nov 06, 2010, 12:16 PM
sportflyer
Joined Sep 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radialarm View Post
Does this do both the wire and the insulation together ? This one looks very nice with the ratchet function and still reasonable price. Tks
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:54 PM
sportflyer
Joined Sep 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radialarm View Post
I just bought one . However I find the die is just too thick so it crimps the bare wire portion whilst simultaneously crushing insulation as well . Not sure how to use this tool properly . Maybe I need to reduce the crimp pressure. Any suggestions ?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:21 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,458 Posts
I use the crimper as linked in post #2 above and it works beautifully. Picked mine up for ~$5. Never had a crimp pull out and I nearly always yank on the wires to disconnect. I know, shame on me...

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:51 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,846 Posts
I have a very used JST-XH OEM crimp tool I will sell. Works great and had crimped at least 10,000 pins, but I want to bring out my new unscratched one. Also, being it crimped so many, the pin holder is a tad loose but the pins still hold in place fine, just not "as fine" as new.

These make PERFECT crimps. It even has the "ratchet for dummies" and the pin holder flips out so you can stuff a new pin into one of the three correct wire size holders. I use these for many other pins but nothing works on the XH pins like the Real McCoy of XH crimpers.

New cost close to $470 shipped. I will sell this one for $350 shipped to lower 48.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=455-1136-ND

http://media.digikey.com/photos/JST%20Photos/WC-110.jpg

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:04 PM
sportflyer
Joined Sep 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
I use the crimper as linked in post #2 above and it works beautifully. Picked mine up for ~$5. Never had a crimp pull out and I nearly always yank on the wires to disconnect. I know, shame on me...

Mark
It looks like your crimp tool has the right thickness. Mine is just too thick . I will try to sell it off and get the same one as yours.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:04 PM
sportflyer
Joined Sep 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
I have a very used JST-XH OEM crimp tool I will sell. Works great and had crimped at least 10,000 pins, but I want to bring out my new unscratched one. Also, being it crimped so many, the pin holder is a tad loose but the pins still hold in place fine, just not "as fine" as new.

These make PERFECT crimps. It even has the "ratchet for dummies" and the pin holder flips out so you can stuff a new pin into one of the three correct wire size holders. I use these for many other pins but nothing works on the XH pins like the Real McCoy of XH crimpers.

New cost close to $470 shipped. I will sell this one for $350 shipped to lower 48.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=455-1136-ND

http://media.digikey.com/photos/JST%20Photos/WC-110.jpg

Rick
Too much $ for a few crimps. Tks anyway
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:46 AM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post
Does anyone know what kind of crimper is to be use for these type of pins? Specifically the open barrel pin type is SXH-001T-P0.6 . These seem really small .

I have been manually crimping and soldering them for now, but its a real pain to do it with needle nose pliers .

Tks
PM sent
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:06 AM
Afghanistanimation
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Sep 2006
1,171 Posts
Where can you get the jst xh connectors and pins new. Would love to replace those tiny TP style connectors.
johnnychimpo is offline Find More Posts by johnnychimpo
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:44 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,458 Posts
Digikey!

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2010, 03:45 PM
sportflyer
Joined Sep 2004
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post

Mark
I just received mine and started to try it out. The crimp looks very good but how do you keep the pin straight after crimp. After the crimp there seems to be a slight angle between the crimped conductor part and the part in front of the crimp ( ie the part that engages the male pin ) making it difficult to insert the pin into the housing . Is this because I apply too much pressure?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 05:26 PM
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
whoa! thats a lot of money for crimpers.too rich for my blood.but I like the suggestions in here so will try it,
propnut07 is offline Find More Posts by propnut07
Old Nov 20, 2010, 08:14 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post
I just received mine and started to try it out. The crimp looks very good but how do you keep the pin straight after crimp. After the crimp there seems to be a slight angle between the crimped conductor part and the part in front of the crimp ( ie the part that engages the male pin ) making it difficult to insert the pin into the housing . Is this because I apply too much pressure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by propnut07 View Post
whoa! thats a lot of money for crimpers.too rich for my blood.but I like the suggestions in here so will try it,
sportflyer, that is the most common problem with using any other crimper than the OEM JST crimper. That is why I broke down and bought those.
Patience, you need a LOT of patience. Maybe you can straighten the pin when it is in the crimper? Try that.
Also may want to not crimp it quite as hard.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman