HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2009, 04:37 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
634 Posts
Discussion
Latest Fox Composites Hawk

I will be building the latest version of the fox composites hawk, I bought the plane from rc-warbirds.com for $725 postage was around $115, there service was excellent and i received the plane in 8 days from date of order.
I spoke to James Fox and about the ducting, he said that they have two different size electric intakes for the hawk, one is for dynamax sized fans and the other is 115mm, you can order the plane with either of the intakes.
After receiving the plane i measured the intakes that i had received and they were the 115mm ones, they are also longer than the old stock intakes, im not sure if the Dynamax intakes are as long as the 115mm intakes.
I ordered the white version and i will turning the hawk into a T-45 and powering it with the Stumax fan.
Im on the lookout for some struts if anyone has any suggestions. so far im thinking the set from eurokit for the mains and a nose wheel from the yellow F4.

Weight of everything
Fuselage 755g
Canopy and frame 210
Rear hatch 75g
Left wing 450g
Right wing 450g
115mm intakes 105g
Rudder 95g
Left elevator 55g
Right elevator 55g
All hardware inc cockpit, wing joiner ect 480g
Total 2730g or 6lb

Pics below with the size comparisons to my Jetlegend T-45
EDF Crazy is offline Find More Posts by EDF Crazy
Last edited by EDF Crazy; May 29, 2009 at 05:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2009, 04:48 PM
GRX
gettin on the banned wagon
Joined Jun 2008
601 Posts
I'm soooo close to getting this setup, keep the pics coming! Hows the StuFan looking as far as mounting up to the supplied ducting?
GRX is offline Find More Posts by GRX
Old May 29, 2009, 04:55 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Very nice kit !

Any idea why the empty bare airframe is so heavy (2.7kg) ? Is it the relatively thick layup, is it polyester? It seems the wings (0.9kg) contribute quite a bit to overall empty weight. That must be one strong wing
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old May 29, 2009, 05:01 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
I have those struts on the lower most right hand side. The black ones! They are useless!!! The worst struts money can buy!!! They have almost no play and are very heavy. Hell if ya want em, I'd give you mineif you were here in the states!!! The behotec struts are nice. The eurokit struts are very nice!!!
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old May 29, 2009, 05:22 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
634 Posts
GRX the ducting will mate perfectly i just need to cut out a "v" so that the fan can go into the ducting.

Herb i think the wings are a bit heavy at 450g especially when the fuselage weighs 700g , but hopefully they are going turn out very strong for those not so perfect landings.

Looking on the net i found a feibao set of struts for there small P60 sized hawk. the set isnt badly priced and at 200g for 1 retract, strut and brake they arnt overly heavy. i wish i could just find a nose strut like the Jetlegends one, but just a bit smaller
Last edited by EDF Crazy; May 29, 2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old May 29, 2009, 06:54 PM
GRX
Joined Jun 2008
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDF Crazy
GRX the ducting will mate perfectly i just need to cut out a "v" so that the fan can go into the ducting.

Herb i think the wings are a bit heavy at 450g especially when the fuselage weighs 700g , but hopefully they are going turn out very strong for those not so perfect landings.

Looking on the net i found a feibao set of struts for there small P60 sized hawk. the set isnt badly priced and at 200g for 1 retract, strut and brake they arnt overly heavy. i wish i could just find a nose strut like the Jetlegends one, but just a bit smaller
Very Nice! Keep the info coming!
Old May 30, 2009, 06:21 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDF Crazy
I will be building the latest version of the fox composites hawk,<big snip>
Total 2730g or 6lb
Hi EDFC, thanks for starting this thread and I hope you post all your progress. Things have definitely moved on since I bought my kit, which was one of the first. Clearly the weight has come down a lot, as my kit components weighed in at around 6.3/4lb.

The EDF ducting has changed too. When I bought mine, there were only the ICDF or turbine intakes on offer. The EDF intake ducting in your pics looks much better!

However, I note that Jim is still using the turbine mounting lugs for mounting the fan. If you plan on using 11S or 12S of 6500mAh batteries (weighing around 66-72oz) then I think that the fan still needs to go further aft so that the batteries will fit between the intake ducts and not have to go on top.

However, I willingly stand to be corrected on this point and will take careful note of what you and Ron 101 do and how well it works. If Jim has got the ducting arrangement right this time, it'll save builders a lot of work.

Just out of interest and for comparison, here are some pics concerning Hawk intake ducts and battery placement I've pulled from this forum.

pic 1 shows my home-made duct installed, compared with the original ICDF ducting which Jim sent me to see if I could use it. My Stumax (one of the original carbon units so itís black) is locate about a foot aft of the original ICF location.

pic 2 shows an E-Turbax installation with a 10S 4500 (less than 48oz of batteries) battery installation. The batts can just be seen ahead of the intakes. The nosegear has only a wire strut for lightness, and to aid achievement of the CG, the nosegear retracts rearwards.

pic 3 has me confused. Itís extracted from the Foxcomp Hawk manual and shows the original ICDF intakes with telescoping extension pieces for EDF use. Clearly, Jim has moved on from this lash-up.

pic 4 is the pic of your kitís ducting which you posted earlier, which Iíve included here to make comparison easy.

pic 5 shows Kevinís AMD Hawk with a DynEmax installed at the end of an intake duct extension. Iíve included this pic to show how he managed to fit in the 12S 5000 batteries. He has some tailweight to achieve the CG, but the model is still very light. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1053593 has flight details.

Looking at Jim Foxís new ducting, if anyone wanted to move the fan as far rearwards as I did, it would seem an easy option to make up a linking tube by simply wrapping a tube from Mick Reeves Proskin (which is probably the same as thin G10 composite) rather than moulding one. This could be stiffened with carbon tow as is usual.

Cheers

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Jun 01, 2009, 12:36 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,271 Posts
Man... you lucky dog!!
That looks great!!
I can't wait to get one... you know if the fan needs to go back it would be easy enough now just to roll a tube (light fiberglass or stuff plastic) put some carbon tow on it and call it good..(opps justs read above that gordon already said this )
but I hope the stock location will work

I think for me it will... I'm thinking of 10s 40c packs or 11s 30c

Please keep us posted I'm dieing to do this one

later
Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Last edited by Ron101; Jun 01, 2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2009, 01:48 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,739 Posts
EDF Crazy
So the ducting fits Stu's fan as it comes in the kit???
I have my sites on the Black version! There is a very cool Union Jack Scheme I would do.
Bob
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Jun 01, 2009, 03:30 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
634 Posts
Gordon thanks for the info, i might call apon you for help at times im going to start with the installation of the servos and gear for now and see how that puts me with the cg, then see what happens with the fan placement. ill defiantly post progress as i go along.
Ron you def wont be disappointed with this plane, she really is very nice. at this stage i dont think ill have a problem with the stock fan location, while i was eyeballing things today i noticed with the ducts in position i can fit 1x6s or 2x4s packs ontop of the ducts and still get the rear hatch on. i think this will help alot if needed.

Bob yes the stock ducting will fit Stu's fan perfectly i just need to cut a "V" into the duct so that the fan can go in, i dont want to do this at this stage just incase i have to move the fan back and make a joiner piece, but if things go well i might not have to do that.

Simon
Last edited by EDF Crazy; Jun 01, 2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2009, 05:19 PM
GRX
Joined Jun 2008
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini
EDF Crazy
So the ducting fits Stu's fan as it comes in the kit???
I have my sites on the Black version! There is a very cool Union Jack Scheme I would do.
Bob
Too Late Bob!, I was thinking the same thing and I got the black one on its way!

Thanks EDF Crazy, now I have to launder the funds for another jet
Last edited by GRX; Jun 01, 2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2009, 04:06 PM
Germany
Joined Apr 2007
10 Posts
Retracts

Hi Alain,

welcome to the Fox Composite Hawk club.
I have been using the SpringAir 101HD-100 retracts plus Eurokit
15079 and 15080 legs. Not a very scale solution, but as I am flying
from gras, I have been looking for a rigid solution.
I have done new intacts (similiar to Gordons) as I was believing it would be an easy task.
But I am not sure if it was worth all the work I had to spent on it to get them right.
Finaly it would be interesting to see what static thrust you can get
out of the standard EDF intakes. I will provide some figures as soon as I have sorted out the electronic stuff.
Helmut
helau is offline Find More Posts by helau
Old Jun 05, 2009, 05:07 PM
GRX
Joined Jun 2008
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helau
Hi Alain,

welcome to the Fox Composite Hawk club.
I have been using the SpringAir 101HD-100 retracts plus Eurokit
15079 and 15080 legs. Not a very scale solution, but as I am flying
from gras, I have been looking for a rigid solution.
I have done new intacts (similiar to Gordons) as I was believing it would be an easy task.
But I am not sure if it was worth all the work I had to spent on it to get them right.
Finaly it would be interesting to see what static thrust you can get
out of the standard EDF intakes. I will provide some figures as soon as I have sorted out the electronic stuff.
Helmut
You and EDFC better get in gear, my parts are inbound and I'm a fast builder !
Old Jun 06, 2009, 06:37 AM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,817 Posts
has any one used an electric smoke system for there hawk?
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Jul 16, 2009, 03:18 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
634 Posts
This week i managed to get some work started on the Hawk / T45,

(pics 1-8) i needed to get the main struts shortened a bit as they were a bit long. i took about 14mm off the strut and i cut back the stop plate a bit allowing the strut to straighten a bit more when there is no load. once that was done it was time to do a test fit, with the retract and strut retracting away from each other i needed to cut a whole into the wing former allowing the cylinder to pass through. i though that the cylinder might be in the way and take up some room in the flap servo bay but this didnt become a problem. one problem i did note when fitting the gear is that the two precut gear bays were not in the same position as each other. so i had to mount the one retract 5mm more forward to compensate. i also noticed that the flap servo bays are also cutout in different positions too.

(pics 9-12) A T45 has a main strut that knuckles back more like an f-18 so i adjusted the spring length a bit by cutting 10mm off. i then added another spring that has alot less strength so that the strut would straiten when there is no load. Pic 9 shows the strut before the spring adjustment pics 10 shows after.

(pics 14-25) A T-45 has a nose strut that is mounted further back than the standard hawk so i needed to make another nose former and cut back the gear doors some more. after mounting the new nose former i could wait to see what she looked like on her gear.
The mains have a 3" wheel so taking off from grass shouldn't be a problem, ill be setting up and bench testing the fan with the supplied intakes in the next few days to see what kind of numbers the fan will get with the intakes.

Simon