HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2001, 09:50 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Great Rascal Modification

I had been flying my Rascal for months (built from a kit), and really enjoyed it. The only real problem is the tendency to dutch roll with little rudder input. I just got accustomed to it and didnt think anything about it.

Our local e-guy here told me he though the vertical was too small, and that could be causing the tendency to dutch roll. He gave me the measurements, and I cut a piece of 1/8th balsa to a curvy shape, covered it and installed it to the leading edge of the vertical. It worked like a charm! Now the Rascal is really stable, it doesnt wobble or roll around out of turns, and is a much more enjoyable plane to fly.

If anyone is interested, I could post a pic showing where the mod was made to give an idea of how to do it yourself.

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2001, 03:28 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Slope,
How many handss do you have????? Everytime I read Ezone you've got something else built or modified. I thought I was a fanatic in my building, you're amazing!!
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Sep 10, 2001, 03:36 PM
Miami, FL, USA
Joined Sep 2001
200 Posts
Hi, Greg!

I'm thinking about buying one in the next month or so, would you be so kind as to emial me those pic.

Thanks,

Angelo
AstroNut is offline Find More Posts by AstroNut
Old Sep 10, 2001, 06:37 PM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Dave,

I am just efficient! Thats what I tell my fiance anyway I try and keep busy. In all reality, my buddy already had the template for the vertical done so I just spent a bit of time sanding and installing. I also put a smaller spinner and a real tail wheel bracket (du-bro) the same nite.

I will take some pics of the mod and post them to my Photopoint site.
Old Sep 10, 2001, 08:56 PM
Acworth, GA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
7 Posts
Slope Nut,
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a dutch roll?
Thanks
Bill Mc
lanshark is offline Find More Posts by lanshark
Old Sep 11, 2001, 06:14 PM
Cocoa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
101 Posts
Rudder Photos

Hey Slope Nut, do you have a link to the photos? What would you guess the total area percentage increase is from stock size? Thanks, ---injunnut---
injunnut is offline Find More Posts by injunnut
Old Sep 12, 2001, 09:47 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Here are the two photos. Sorry for the poor quality, but they do show how the modification works. One pic is with the flash on, and the other without (so you can see the indented line where the added vertical section joins the original). Let me know if this helps

Hmmm.....I followed the UBB code for inserting images, but it didnt work Click and you will see them.

Greg
Old Sep 12, 2001, 03:03 PM
Jacksonville, Fl, USA
Joined Sep 2001
3 Posts
Rascal Modification

Thanks for info on the Rascal modification. I,too, have a kit built model and was beginning to wonder what was happening with the roll tendency. It has been a minor blip with an otherwise really fun ship to fly. I am also flying a Cutie, a similar design, and it is flawless.
Aaron C. Harvey is offline Find More Posts by Aaron C. Harvey
Old Sep 13, 2001, 08:03 AM
Dave Segal
Philadelphia PA USA
Joined Jun 2001
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lanshark
Slope Nut,
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a dutch roll?
Thanks
Bill Mc
You have to go back to the free-flight textbooks for this one. The classic definition is "out of phase oscillations in roll and pitch". It was named for a rolling style of ice skating identified with Dutch skaters. If severe, this can cause a model to crash. The simple cure is to increase the area of the vertical tail.

Dave Segal
Dsegal is offline Find More Posts by Dsegal
Old Sep 13, 2001, 09:17 PM
Acworth, GA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
7 Posts
Thanks Dave, I have seen this before but have never known the name of the action. We just said, make the fin bigger.

Best Regards,
Bill Mc
lanshark is offline Find More Posts by lanshark