HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2006, 06:40 PM
It crashed in to what?
Joined Apr 2006
58 Posts
Question
Apoxy

Is there any adhisive I can use that is just as good as apoxy? I hate the guess work of getting the amounts right.
Ground Hugger is offline Find More Posts by Ground Hugger
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2006, 02:47 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,206 Posts
There are many good adhesives but it depends what you're using the Epoxy for. I can't think of anything else that works as well for bonding metal to metal or to anything else or for repairing epoxy laminates.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Sep 04, 2006, 08:49 AM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Hugger
Is there any adhisive I can use that is just as good as apoxy? I hate the guess work of getting the amounts right.
No guesswork with these.

Get the West Systems 105 resin and the hardener of your choice (fast or slow), and use the correct hardener pump.

One stroke of resin, one stroke of hardener, percise measurements, no more bad epoxy batches. You do need to pump each a couple of times to prime the pumps, and throw away the partial deliveries from each, but after priming the delivered amounts are exact.

I switched years ago and haven't had a bad batch of epoxy since.
the-plumber is offline Find More Posts by the-plumber
Old Sep 04, 2006, 01:40 PM
Runcorn,Cheshire,UK
Joined Nov 2005
76 Posts
Use the epoxy in a twin syringe you get the right mix every time
or if using it not on foam use a flexy cyano they have rubber toughening that works the same way as an epoxy so they dont crack with vibration they dont need mixing
or a single part polyurethane (foaming glue) , there not as hard but very impact resistant but can be messy as they foam when seting on small parts can push them apart
Wil666 is offline Find More Posts by Wil666
Old Sep 04, 2006, 07:56 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,164 Posts
It's not that fussy.

When I use 5 minute from a pair of tubes or from squeeze bottles I let the glue come out as a snake by holding the tip about 1/4 inch from the mixing surface and lay down the same length of lines for both A and B. If I need more I lay down two or more lines of each about 2 inches long. A little care needs to be used when cutting off the ends of the squeeze bottles so that the snake comes out the same size. But it's not hard.

If it's a 2:1 mix then I lay down two lines of the A and one of the B that are the same length.

If I need more than that I use the little plastic medicine cups from either the fiberglass shop or from a better drug store. These little cups have graduations on the side so it's easy to mix up the proper amounts.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Sep 13, 2006, 07:42 AM
It crashed in to what?
Joined Apr 2006
58 Posts
Epoxy

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Ground Hugger is offline Find More Posts by Ground Hugger