Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:47 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,612 Posts
I hate to say it but I have to agree with mickydee. I like the plane and all but I have a funny feeling this one aint gonna stick. Their just isn't enough pattern flying going on anymore. I think it will fall right in line with the other planes he listed.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:02 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,390 Posts
still liking the looks of this one

after experiencing the new AS3X receiver in the VisionAire i reckon us mere mortals might be able to experience some F3A type flying even if we are not right into it. I would imagine those that stick at it would improve their flying skill 10 fold

anyway thought i'd share this picture, Mike from modelflight flew it on the weekend and loved it, oh he said "It's Fast!"

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:46 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,818 Posts
I am excited to see a pattern-type plane come out by Horizon. I have flown RC for years, but didn't really become proficent until I started to compete in pattern. It is great fun, and makes you a better skilled pilot (scale included). I am now able to fly fast EDFs, 1/4 scale,and large warbirds. I needed a smaller practice plane, and I think this is it!!

It is very exciting to do a precision 4-point roll. I can't explain it, you just have to feel it. I hope now that QQ helps Horizon continue this line with a larger electric version so folks can enter a contest at the Sportsman (beginning) level.

Nice job Horizon.
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:48 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
I am excited to see a pattern-type plane come out by Horizon. I have flown RC for years, but didn't really become proficent until I started to compete in pattern. It is great fun, and makes you a better skilled pilot (scale included). I am now able to fly fast EDFs, 1/4 scale,and large warbirds. I needed a smaller practice plane, and I think this is it!!

It is very exciting to do a precision 4-point roll. I can't explain it, you just have to feel it. I hope now that QQ helps Horizon continue this line with a larger electric version so folks can enter a contest at the Sportsman (beginning) level.

Nice job Horizon.
I agree. Nothing makes you learn faster then when you have to follow a line and not just bang sticks around in free flight. That could be some low hanging fruit Pheonix should add. Add some follow the pattern lines competition, with virtual lines in the sky with adjustable margins for error. I also notice online, not a lot people every practice good landings. Surely the first thing one should get good at I would think.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:03 AM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Jun 2012
347 Posts
I wonder why the esc is only a 60 amp
bladeguy5 is offline Find More Posts by bladeguy5
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeguy5 View Post
I wonder why the esc is only a 60 amp
6s .
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:52 AM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Jun 2012
347 Posts
so why cant the stock 60 amp esc in the habu take 6s?
bladeguy5 is offline Find More Posts by bladeguy5
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:06 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeguy5 View Post
so why cant the stock 60 amp esc in the habu take 6s?
It can. Just not with that fan. The KV is too high and it will draw too many amps.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:21 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,435 Posts
Popular mechanics

Two practical questions from the peanut gallery:

1. Looking at the LG attachment in the manual (http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EFL10250-Manual_EN.pdf)
will the LG, and the LG attachment point, be strong enough to withstand the occasional indelicate landing of this 5.5 lb bird?

2. Each wing is attached by the wing tube and two screws. Since most of us will have to take the wings on and off every time it's transported (right?), is there a legitimate concern about the long-term security/durability/longevity of those attachments?

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:57 PM
Ground Pounder
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2012
636 Posts
420$. F!!!!!
Gharddog03 is offline Find More Posts by Gharddog03
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:14 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
709 Posts
Hello,

Just a few of comments. For a complete set-up, at $ 420.00 is not too pricey. If you were to try to outfit it yourself with middle of the road components, it would be hard to beat. A similar sized balsa plane of decent quality will run between $250 to $350 for the airframe alone, so it is a good buy.

For those of you who would like to use the plane as an intro to pattern, you have to keep in mind that the stabilization system that comes with the receiver is against the spirit and rules of the event. In order to enter a competition, that function would have to be disabled.

Finally, I think that the plane is a little small for a 6S pack. The prop that they recommend appears underpitched at 14x7, unless you want to 3D the plane. I would use a 5S pack and try a 14x10 or 14x12 prop and see how it goes. For pattern, you don't want the plane to be a bullet, but it should not be a slouch either.

It would be nice if they offered the airframe alone; it would be fun to put one together using the stuff that I have sitting around.

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Last edited by viva_peru; Feb 06, 2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:39 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_peru View Post
Hello,

Just a few of comments. For a complete set-up, at $ 420.00 is not too pricey. If you were to try to outfit it yourself with middle of the road components, it would be hard to beat. A similar sized balsa plane of decent quality will run between $250 to $350 for the airframe alone, so it is a good buy.

For those of you who would like to use the plane as an intro to pattern, you have to keep in mind that the stabilization system that comes with the receiver is against the spirit and rules of the event. In order to enter a competition, that function would have to be disabled.

Finally, I think that the plane is a little small for a 6S pack. The prop that they recommend appears underpitched at 14x7, unless you want to 3D the plane. I would use a 5S pack and try a 14x10 or 14x12 prop and see how it goes. For pattern, you don't want the plane to be a bullet, but it should not be a slouch either.

It would be nice if they offered the airframe alone; it would be fun to put one together using the stuff that I have sitting around.

Teo
pretty similar plane here, a little smaller, only $150, runs on 4S. better deal to me.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/48-Super-...D_p_15881.html

also similar, $180. very nice plane.

https://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/48laser.html
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:50 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
pretty similar plane here, a little smaller, only $150, runs on 4S. better deal to me.

they are only ARF though, you still then have to buy all the other parts so not really a comparison?

I think Teo was just pointing out although it seems dear it's not really compared with others, Plus you get the after sales support from HH

anyway i was told last night i will get a loan of the Splendor in the photo i put up in 2 weeks when it gets back from the Gratton Airshow. Even though my piloting skills are not a match for this plane i am still looking forward to having a flight or three with it

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:39 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post

That's like saying that a compact car is cheaper than a mid-size. Those planes aren't even close to being in the same category. They're 30-size park-planes. This is a 50-size plane that is intended to be flown at a club field or other location that's suitable for large models. That's two sizes up from the 48" ships. Compare the Splendor with other high-quality 6s 50-size pattern ships & it's a completely different story.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 07, 2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:40 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
they are only ARF though, you still then have to buy all the other parts so not really a comparison?
Especially if you add in the AS3X receiver. Both of those other planes would be more expensive than the Splendor.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby