HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
Discussion
"Pimp my Oly III"

I was surfing the net last nite, fell in love with the tail of Kennedy Composites Miles tail/stab....I have an Oly III in the box.....how about putting the stab ahead of the fin, and copy the Miles tail feathers on the Oly III back end? Great Oly wing and fuse....sweet euro-looking tail?
Mr Smith1 is offline Find More Posts by Mr Smith1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:21 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith1 View Post
I was surfing the net last nite, fell in love with the tail of Kennedy Composites Miles tail/stab....I have an Oly III in the box.....how about putting the stab ahead of the fin, and copy the Miles tail feathers on the Oly III back end? Great Oly wing and fuse....sweet euro-looking tail?
Yes, I agree... go for it! Should look slick!

Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:15 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,827 Posts
Should work fine, but if you're going to move the stab forward, enlarge it in proportion.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:53 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,003 Posts
It would look very cool...And I don't think I have seen it done before with the O3. Should be an interesting flight review!

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,827 Posts
I don't think that tail design was originally for looks, even if it IS fashionable now. I think to properly "pimp" something, you've got to do a couple of things that don't make engineering sense. Like the pickup trucks I see that have 60 series or even 50 series tires and would probably roll over before skidding, at least on dry pavement. Or treads on road bicycle tires that are inflated to 100 psi (unless you can ride at 80 mph or something).

I once saw a glider with little panoramas built into the rear fuselage, with transparent panels over them. Very weird, at least it seemed so to me. Or there's always those little chord extensions just outboard of the poly joints on the BOT. Maybe you could add a NACA vent or something. ;-p
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:08 AM
∞ Boundary Layer
Joined May 2004
367 Posts
Don't move the stab forward, it's already a close coupled tail moment..
Move the fin & rudder back instead. That way you get more yaw authority.
rduder is online now Find More Posts by rduder
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:13 AM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
Perhaps the name would be euroly, oly with euro tail. I wonder if putting the stab forward would screw up the flight characteristics...like shortening the fuse behind the wing? Sure would get people to say "What the HLL is it, looks kinda familiar" (Maybe I should just take my medication, order a Paragon kit, and get off the internet)
Mr Smith1 is offline Find More Posts by Mr Smith1
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:25 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rduder View Post
Don't move the stab forward, it's already a close coupled tail moment..
Move the fin & rudder back instead. That way you get more yaw authority.
And end up putting more lead in the nose, and end up wih a higher AUW. That's fine if your average flying conditions need the mass and inertia, but not if you are flying in more still or liftless conditions.

But hey, if it floats your boat go for it, that's the beauty of building your own!

I pimped the crap outof my O3 and I loved it, people said I shouldn't stretch the inner panels so the span was 3.5 meters and I shouldn't reduce the dihedral but I did and I love it because it suits my flying style perfectly and blah blah,,,blah.

Just so long as.. if it doesn't work out, no-one goes and says the OIII is not a good design!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:26 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
+1 Steve. Mr. Hayes put a ton of effort into this high performance wooden design. Bashing the tail feathers for a different look is fun stuff but changing their moment may affect many different aspects of the design.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells