HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:33 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Cool
Twisted Hobbys/RC Factory 48 3/4" Sbach 342 Ė Build Ė Discussion-Have Fun, Thread

RC Factory - 48" Sbach- From Twisted Hobbys

Product Link: http://www.twistedhobbys.com/RCF-47-...12m-Rs-352.htm

Hey Guys,

Well, it's here! The 48 3/4" SBach 342 from RC Factory just cleared customs and will be shipping shortly. It is one of the newest offerings from Twisted Hobbyís, the only US importer of the RC Factory EPP designs . The 342 was designed by Jan Sedlacek and the RCF team. Jan is the current Czech F5D champion and is a long time F3A competitor. The plane is modeled after the RS 352 SBach, German designed aerobatic plane. The 342 is a follow up to the smaller 1m or 39Ē RCF planes such as the Flash, Yak and the SU-29. The 342 is for Extreme and 3D aerobatics, offers smooth pattern performance and can be an ideal 3D trainer. This one should be fun!

I have been eagerly anticipating its arrival ever since Brad from Twisted Hobbyís asked me if I would do the build thread. I, of course, jumped at the opportunity. I have been a fan of the TH product since day one when Brad developed and started selling the Yedge , Vector, Slick and now the Crack series and the Telinks and RCF product. I think the Yedge came out about 4 years ago now . Time flyís when youíre flying the best EPP out there.

Flight Report: : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post22412889

This thread is going to be a work in progress designed to be informative, enlightening and at times life changing. OkÖ so we probably will not enlighten or change anyoneís life but hopefully we can be informative. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas to better the thread, please donít hesitate to contribute. And remember,Ö.The only dumb question is the one not askedÖ. (That was in my fortune cookie last night. Sounded good at the time?)

Electronic Recommendations:

Power Combo Link:
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Power-S...-Motor-ESC.htm

Product Link
: http://www.twistedhobbys.com/RCF-47-...12m-Rs-352.htm

Specifications:
Wing Span : 48 3/4"
Flying weight : 21 to 25 oz
Motor: AXI 2808/24 Outrunner 200 Ė 400w (70 - 100g)
ESC : Min 30amp For lite set-upís. 45 Amp for heavier set-ups.
Servos : 14 Ė 18gram Metal Gear
Power : 3s 1500 Ė 2200
Prop : 10 x 4.7 Ė 11 x 4.7

Twisted Hobby's, Color Photo Illustrated Build Manual: http://www.twistedhobbys.com/media/1..._LR_081612.pdf

Build Manual: (Diagram Only)http://www.rc-factory.cz/ke-stazeni/dokument-529-3.pdf

Flight Video Link:

Shawn DuBois (AKA GravityCheat) Flying the RCF Sbach 342
Shawn DuBois Flying the Sbach 48.8 inch EPP by RC Factory (4 min 56 sec)

Jan Votava associate member of team RC Factory putting the 342 thru it's paces
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7wxOODrolHc

Build Notes: The main fuselage carbon bracing will be the only area of the build where I will be using CA. Although RCF recommends using CA throughout the entire build, we are recommending using CA only on the main fuse carbon bracing and Welders on the rest of the build. We are using CA on the fuselage section because there is very little glue surface for the fuse stiffeners to adhere to the EPP, CA is simply the better choice for this area. CA also dryís creating a stiffer joint, helping to insure the fuse section remains stiff. We are using and recommending Welders on the remainder of the build. Welders can be purchased at many Loweís or TH has it available here: http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Welder-...oz-WELDERS.htm

There are numerous techniques for using Welders glue. I will share the method I use but feel free to use whatever method works best for you. When using Welders, I coat both surfaces to be mated, I then join the two pieces and pull them apart several times. I then let them sit apart for a minute or two and sometimes longer for the larger joints such as the wing halves. By doing this, you create an immediate bond when the two pieces are again mated and also, drying time is greatly reduced. Drying time will vary depending on the amount of glue used, size of pieces being glued, environment etc.. But in most cases, you can continue the build within a very short period of time.
[B]Important Build Note:
The motor mount needs to be installed prior to the top fuse section. Installing it after the top is on is very difficult. There is no need for toothpicks or anchoring tabs as mentioned in the instructions. Just Welders it to the surrounding foam.
Build Photos:
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Last edited by Gravitycheat; Aug 20, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:34 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Pictures, Videos and other good "Stuff"

A definite must have upgrade for the Sbach are the carbon fiber servo extension arms.

It will turn the somewhat tame 3Dír into a 3D animal. I did not need them on the rudder or elevator as I am getting 45 and about 40 degrees throw on those surfaces. The aileron deflection with the standard set-up, although sufficient for sport, pattern and basic 3D, was not sufficient for getting really crazy.
Now I can do some really fast rollers, great snap rolls, fast point rolls etcÖ. I highly recommend them.

Name: IMG_6852.jpg
Views: 226
Size: 136.7 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_6861.jpg
Views: 191
Size: 107.0 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_6858.jpg
Views: 205
Size: 157.1 KB
Description:

Last edited by Gravitycheat; Aug 20, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:49 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,859 Posts
Sub'ed.

Thanks for doing the build thread Gravity.

My stuff is on the way and I'll share my build here as it progresses. Of course with defference to your build since you accepted the task.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:52 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Sub'ed.

Thanks for doing the build thread Gravity.

My stuff is on the way and I'll share my build here as it progresses. Of course with defference to your build since you accepted the task.

JC
Input is welcomed JC. I have enjoyed the 32" and 44" from TH but now have a 47"!! this is going to be great.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:56 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Can't wait for this. I'm totally getting it after I beat up my crack yak
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:59 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
Input is welcomed JC. I have enjoyed the 32" and 44" from TH but now have a 47"!! this is going to be great.
Similar hangars - I had an Extra Slick v1 (buddy talked me out of it), but currently have a v2 Extra Slick (nobody can talk me out of this one), and the Red Scheme Telink SU-29.

I think ths plane is going to be the best of both combined into one awesome package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Better order soon - they are in limited supply.

JC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JC Spohr; Jul 18, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:08 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,654 Posts
I debated on adding this one to my collection, but after having dusted off my 1.0m Sbach and spending a fair amount of time in the air with it the past couple weeks, I was reminded of what a nice flier the Sbach's are, and decided to go for it. Looking forward to all the insite as will be provided by Gravitycheat's Build as well as comments and posts from others here on this thread. Really looking forward to the bigger size of this plane.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:09 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,435 Posts
Yo!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; Jul 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:14 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Here're the only two flight videos that I know of so far. Enjoy!

Martin Pasáček NEW!!! SBach EPP kit (1.2m) RC Factory (8 min 56 sec)

New 1.2m RC Factory plane (4 min 46 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:17 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
The young man in the lower video is Jan Votava an associate member of the RC Factory team. Very good pilot.
Last edited by Gravitycheat; Jul 18, 2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: cant spell
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:35 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,859 Posts
Quote:
The young man in the lower video is Jan Votava an associate member of the RC Factory team. Very good pilot.
He's on RCG so maybe he'll add to this thread.

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:40 PM
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Looks like a great plane. Im jumping on board. Shawn, ill get video for you. This baby is gonna rock! Cant wait. Ship mine now!
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman18 View Post
Looks like a great plane. Im jumping on board. Shawn, ill get video for you. This baby is gonna rock! Cant wait. Ship mine now!
Thanks for the video offer Brad. Just need to get her built and for the rain to stop
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:46 PM
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the video offer Brad. Just need to get her built and for the rain to stop
Maybe we can do an indoor at Holiday
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:57 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman18 View Post
Maybe we can do an indoor at Holiday
That would be cool.