HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:03 AM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
I like it ! Looks like it would be great for beginning builders/flyers . Looking forward to seeing the water version !
Thanks Al

Yep its a beginner plane. Its pretty light Weight so putting floats in place of the bottom slats should be easy. Going to have to wait for a trip to the lake to test it. I doubt anyone at the local water park would appreciate me chasing the ducks around with it.

I was really not expecting it to fly well and almost scraped it before completing it. It does fly really well though.

One other thing I have to try now is making one thats much sleeker, prop in slot with light polyhedral and elevons. A self righting beginner jet.

Too many ideas and not enough time...

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:35 AM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
483 Posts
Nightstone

You're probably sending that motor to an early grave and shortening your flight times running that motor at 17A. The HK 5X3 data looks consistent with that for a high price motor in the same class, the AXI 2208/20. That motor has KV of 1830 and a 16 A limit. According to the Adam_One calculator, it's turning near 18600 RPM with a 5X3 and 3S, while drawing about 6 A. The Watts to heat curve goes up to 40 at 17A in.

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/calc_motor.htm

Using a 6X3 or 6X4 might get the current down to 10-13A and spare the motor.

Joe
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:11 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe View Post
Nightstone

You're probably sending that motor to an early grave and shortening your flight times running that motor at 17A. The HK 5X3 data looks consistent with that for a high price motor in the same class, the AXI 2208/20. That motor has KV of 1830 and a 16 A limit. According to the Adam_One calculator, it's turning near 18600 RPM with a 5X3 and 3S, while drawing about 6 A. The Watts to heat curve goes up to 40 at 17A in.

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/calc_motor.htm

Using a 6X3 or 6X4 might get the current down to 10-13A and spare the motor.

Joe
Thanks for the concern Joe and the heads up. Up until yesterday I have not had a watt meter to check current flow. That said my only indication that I was pushing a motor to hard was heat. Higher amps produce more heat. Heat kills motors. So my understanding is as long as the heat is reasonable anything goes.

The motor in question has well over 100 flights on it. 60 plus of those on my original DSE ( Its still flying ). So far I have not had heat issues with those props. so I have to assume I am not causing damage by using them. That led me to believe the HK data was incorrect. The motor also comes with a Heat Sink. I think this is also a factor.

I fly in a windy area so I burst my speed a lot as I am flying. I don't fly full throttle for extended periods of time though. So far this has been working for me and the motors are holding up fine. Can you imagine flying that plane I just made in 10 plus mile per hour winds with 1/3 of the wattage? At 200w it flies great.

Btw... I also use a 7x6 prop on that motor though that does seem to warm the motor up a bit so I stopped using it.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:03 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
483 Posts
Nightstone

I'm glad your getting good service from the motor. I don't think the HK data is wrong as it is conservative. The only way to test it is with a 5X3 prop on there. The prop power demand goes up fast with diameter, especially at the high RPM that motor turns at.

Now that you have your meter, you can run through different props and make your own data.

Keep 'em flying

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:38 PM
Arizona Rim Country
Joined Nov 2001
491 Posts
Test Meter

Hey,

Do you have a link for that meter ?
pcaffeldt is offline Find More Posts by pcaffeldt
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:39 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Nightstone

I'm glad your getting good service from the motor. I don't think the HK data is wrong as it is conservative. The only way to test it is with a 5X3 prop on there. The prop power demand goes up fast with diameter, especially at the high RPM that motor turns at.

Now that you have your meter, you can run through different props and make your own data.

Keep 'em flying

Joe
Had another big surprise motor wise today. Tested a FC 28-05 2840KV motor. HK has 2s and a 5-7 inch prop as recommended. HK forums state a 3s and 6x3 prop is okay. 3s and a 6x3 prop was 231w and got hot real fast. If I had followed that advice I would have cooked it. 2.75x2.75 on a 3s was 187w and motor stayed warm. Perfect choice.

Glad I got that meter. Should be able to make accurate decisions now.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:41 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaffeldt View Post
Hey,

Do you have a link for that meter ?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10080

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:15 AM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
Sweet M mount

Quote:
Al
I wanted to show you the parts I've cut so far for my Super Easy. The first picture shows one wing panel and the Fuselage/keel.

I modeled the slot after the one by Otto Dieffenbach that you referenced here in Post # 73.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=73

I scaled Otto's drawing to a 7 inch prop diameter. The prop line is at 15 inches, just like your rectangular slot. The slot in the keel is shorter because the motor sits up a bit. I noticed this follows your plan too. I'll see how noisy this is. Planning to fly at a club field rated for nitro planes. Maybe I'll need to paint on a muffler, since all planes that fly there are supposed to have one.

The next picture shows my motor and prop sitting in the slot. The last shows my firewall on a stick motor mount.

The only modification I've made is the 12 X 8 inch triangle to be glued on at the nose of the wing panel. You could call it a KFM panel, but it's more likely a simple reinforcement, with a little nose weight thrown in.

Each wing panel with the tip piece weighs 119 grams and the keel weighs 65 grams. I removed the paper on the side of the tip piece facing the wing panel and on the matching surface of the wing panel. I'm going to use Quick drying Gorilla glue to bond these together. I've bought the reinforced Scotch extreme shipping tape from Home Depot to bind the edges.

Thanks again for the inspiration

Joe
Hi Joe I like your Motor Mount sweet did you happen to weight it?
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:06 AM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
483 Posts
Sparken 57

It weighs 13 grams, about half an ounce. Not a bad match to a 60 gram motor, I think. Just laid the motor's X mount on a piece of 1/8" birch ply and TLAR from there. Cut the ply out with my Dad's old Craftsman Jig Saw. I put this stuff in a spread sheet when I build. That's what computers are for.

Hope it works for you

Joe

P.S. This is post where mount picture is attached

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=130
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DuPageJoe; Sep 28, 2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Added ref to mount picture
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:25 AM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
Quote:
Sparken 57

It weighs 13 grams, about half an ounce. Not a bad match to a 60 gram motor, I think. Just laid the motor's X mount on a piece of 1/8" birch ply and TLAR from there. Cut the ply out with my Dad's old Craftsman Jig Saw. I put this stuff in a spread sheet when I build. That's what computers are for.

Hope it works for you

Joe

P.S. This is post where mount picture is attached

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=130
I went with this one took my hot knife to it got it to 3 grams i just wish I didnt cut out the cross bracing just the bracing only weight about .2 grams
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:42 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,684 Posts
Balsa or Carbon,

Took two brief test flights with my Super Easy Paper Plane yesterday. For the first flight I taped a 1/4-20 screw and nut near the nose to adjust the CG. Flew well. Removed the extra nose weight for the second flight and she flew even better - probably from being an ounce lighter

This one is made from some generic inexpensive paper-covered foamboard bought in a dime store (good "find"). She's equipped with a Dualsky (2dogrc) 2223EA-14T 0.8oz outrunner with GWS 7x3.5 prop, 2s850 lipo, Thunderbird-9, XPS Rx, and two HS-55 servos. Used a "Y" pushrod on top so that one servo could operate both elevators.

Link to video:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post22943192

Thanks for the cool design.

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Last edited by FlyingW; Oct 08, 2012 at 07:36 AM. Reason: added video
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW View Post
Balsa or Carbon,

Took two brief test flights with my Super Easy Paper Plane yesterday. For the first flight I taped a 1/4-20 screw and nut near the nose to adjust the CG. Flew well. Removed the extra nose weight for the second flight and she flew even better - probably from being an ounce lighter

This one is made from some generic inexpensive paper-covered foamboard bought in a dime store (good "find"). She's equipped with a Dualsky (2dogrc) 2223EA-14T 0.8oz outrunner with GWS 7x3.5 prop, 2s850 lipo, Thunderbird-9, XPS Rx, and two HS-55 servos. Used a "Y" pushrod on top so that one servo could operate both elevators.

Link to video:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post22943192

Thanks for the cool design.

Paul
Awesome ! Looks like a VERY clean , lightweight build . Great idea using the Y pushrod . Thanks for posting the video !

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,385 Posts
Indoor SUPER EASY

Made an indoor SE for the upcoming rainy season . Peeled the paper off the $ Tree foam , halved all the dimensions , put on a KFm1 airfoil for strength and slower flight ( high alpha ) . Used this little motor/ESC combo from Hobbypartz http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-mars-b...l5a-combo.html , cruises around at half throttle . Borrowed Flying W's idea of using one servo for both elevators .
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:56 PM
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
117 Posts
The original if I remember right was 30"L x 40"W, so what is the dimensions of your 1/2 version now?
eboggs59 is offline Find More Posts by eboggs59
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboggs59 View Post
The original if I remember right was 30"L x 40"W, so what is the dimensions of your 1/2 version now?
15" x 20" , every dimension 1/2 of the original .