HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2014, 12:26 PM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
847 Posts
Thomas - I followed Spencer's well written instructions pretty much to the "T" and it worked out great. Very fiddley build for sure. I popped the clevises on and off so many times that one of the pins actually broke The only other advise I can give is that the Aileron rods have to be super short. I think mine only have about 3-4 thread left. Also use a filler that adds strength to the resin like West 404 or Cabosil.

After building mine I feel like I can put the next one together much easier. I will probably be Building Steven's pretty soon as well. If any of the local guys want a hand let me know.

Lee
killercando is offline Find More Posts by killercando
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2014, 02:46 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakumann View Post
PS.: toughest Moldie I ever installed the radio gear

Lee

thanks for the input
Tough was mend as solid Model, not as hard to outfit or build

Cheers
Thomas

PS: I dont trust the tiny threads on clevises too much, mostly I solder them anyways.
wakumann is offline Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2014, 08:09 PM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
847 Posts
Gotcha Thomas, This little sucker is indead Built Tough, oh and purdy So very purdy....
killercando is offline Find More Posts by killercando
Old Jul 08, 2014, 02:42 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
4,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll914 View Post

Alan Cocconi has created the ultimate servo for the K2m (and most F3F/B/J planes for that matter)! He made a MKS DS6125 based servo that has 1.6x the torque, runs on any voltage you want, has fully programmable rotation, moves at about 0.06sec/60deg, and has circuitry that prevents you from ever burning up the motor even if the servo is stalled for hours on end! That is the ULTIMATE SERVO! I'm looking forward to the day when these are widely available!!!

Spencer
What is the story with these servos??? Was a few years back these were talked about
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2014, 04:15 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,160 Posts
Its a custom servo that Alan makes for his K2m. He basically uses only the case, pot, and gearset from the MKS DS6125 replacing everything else with his own custom pieces. The end result is a programmable HV servo with alot more torque and is ridiculously fast. Plus Alan's design can be stalled indefinitely and never burn up. As a bonus on the flaps he replaces the output shaft with an adjustable slip clutch to prevent ever stripping gears. Safe to say its the 'ultimate wing servo'. If Alan worked for minimum wage, they'd probably be worth about $350/ea!!

The closest commercially available option I think is the MKS HBL 6625. I've used these on the sweeper and they are very nice servos. They aren't programmable but they do have about 20-30deg more rotation than the DS6125 and I measured a useable 75oz-in of torque vs about 55oz-in on the DS6125. Speed on 2s lipo is .11sec/60deg. They might not the holy grail but they are a nice step up from the already nice DS6125 for sure! I also have a new heavy (150oz) K2m ready to fly with them on all 5 surfaces... Will report more when we get enough wind to fly it.
sll914 is offline Find More Posts by sll914
Old Jul 08, 2014, 05:42 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
4,889 Posts
Cool info, thanks Spencer. Sheesh Alan is a clever guy!
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2014, 01:19 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,622 Posts
Alan has developed the most incredible servos in the world, but the mainstream servo manufacturers refuse to adopt the technology. It took Hitec several years to bring the brushless series to market. It would be nice to have a smaller servo with the Alan guts to compliment the standard size brushless that are now available.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance