HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:20 AM
definitely a madman with a box
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
How is the smoke at the club field? Are people flying there today? (Not to be insensitive to the desperate situation)
MadManWithABox is online now Find More Posts by MadManWithABox
Last edited by MadManWithABox; Jun 23, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:49 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshterizermizer View Post
How is the smoke at the club field? Are people flying there today? (Not to be insensitive to the desperate situation)
It looks like the fire's mostly out. Not much smoke on the east side of the mountain.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:29 PM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Mar 2010
443 Posts
Subscribing.

Justin
the_walrus is online now Find More Posts by the_walrus
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:06 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,551 Posts
There are a lot of guys that fly at the field but not much of a community of them posting on here.
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:25 PM
South Jordan, Utah
Joined Mar 2007
63 Posts
True. I am quite disappointed that our UVA club members haven't embraced this forum a little more. I think it's a great way to communicate and I think maybe more members would use it if they had it set up properly, i.e. to notify them whenever there was a comment posted.
rus55ros is offline Find More Posts by rus55ros
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:41 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
The differences between the UFO group and the UVA club explain why there's such a great UFO presence here and such a small UVA presence.

1. UFO is mostly young guys working in the electric arena flying ARFs who enjoy chatting about RC as much as actually doing it. UVA is mostly middle-aged and older gents building their own larger planes, flying a fuel & electric mix. Many of them are not computer literate, or at least don't have the mental programming to rely on digital communications.

2. UFO pilots fly at a number of locations that require coordination through the forums in order to get together. UVA flies at a single club location that requires no near real-time coordination. People just show up and fly.

3. UFO pilots need a forum to discuss club plans & issues because they have no physical residence to do so. UVA has both a club field for monthly club meetings, and during cold months meet at the rec center. 20+ guys show up at those meetings, where they discuss and resolve issues, have show & tells, do training, hand out prizes, etc.

4. There's an investment in the AMA club that keeps members coming for life because they feel part of something tangible. UFO has no investment, therefore people flow in and out of the group like water through an unstopped sink.

That said, the one thing that held the UFO club together like glue, regular combat, has lost most of its original participants except for the two big annual combat events. Finch, Darren, Jeff J, Myself, Diego, and most of the other original group except for Lee don't attend combat regularly because we're doing other RC related things that take us to different locations. Finch & LeMon are doing DLG almost exclusively, I'm doing FPV almost exclusively, Darren & Jeff mostly do scale stuff now, Diego is busy training the next generation.

The UFO don't have a club leadership like the AMA club, so there's not as much sense of responsibility to organize regular events. However, despite this, combat is so intriguing and visceral that it constantly draws new members and new pilots.

However, I think the UFO RCG forum has become more of a global place for Utah residents to interact and help each other out, both for combat and all other aspects. It's no longer focused on just combat like it was originally. And that's how it should be.

It would be great if the AMA club took advantage of this thread more. I think if there were more discussion among AMA members, other people in the state flying RC would get to know the AMA members and be drawn towards the club, especially the younger pilots.

Ultimately however, I think the best thing the AMA club could do is find a location more conducive to flying all sorts of aircraft. I'm not a big fan of the Saratoga location because any crash beyond the flight line is a totally lost aircraft. Once it's in the river or swamp beyond, there's really no option for recovery. I don't dare fly my big planes there. And there's no place to fly combat safely. I'd love to see a field where there's a nice paved flightline on one side of the lot, with desert or farmland beyond, and and a big grass flying field on the other side of the lot. Two flight lines separated by a nice parking would be the bomb. If it weren't too far away from the interstate and more central, that'd be the go-to place for all RC pilots in the valley. There's a big unused go-cart park right by the freeway in Pleasant Grove with farmland all around it that I thought might be a really great RC airfield. There'd be a LOT of work to tear down the trees & bushes that have grown up and prepare a clean runway, but it would be cool.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wind_of_Change; Jul 09, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:50 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,551 Posts
There is just as much swamp where the heli guys fly. Not a river of course, but it is wet and muddy and watery just beyond the tables. My bro put a camera on his heli over there one day..

Trex 600 Contour HD Onboard (6 min 37 sec)
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:51 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
Wow, you're right. What a swampy mess! Does the heli club have a set of waders that they leave at their pad so people can wade out and retrieve choppers?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:52 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,551 Posts
Heli guys never crash... why would they need waders?
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:55 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
Hahaha, are you kidding? My crap, I've personally nearly been killed or maimed by three large choppers crashing within a few dozen feet of me that testify otherwise.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:06 PM
South Jordan, Utah
Joined Mar 2007
63 Posts
Thanks for a very well stated comment. I couldn't agree more. If the go cart track really were a viable option, I'm sure there would be support from many of our club members to help with the work involved to make it flight worthy. I am among the many who have lost aircraft to the mighty river.
rus55ros is offline Find More Posts by rus55ros
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:30 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Hahaha, are you kidding? My crap, I've personally nearly been killed or maimed by three large choppers crashing within a few dozen feet of me that testify otherwise.
I'm sure you're mistaken. Probably someone was hovering a 3d plane with a large prop or something. You probably didn't get a good look before the crashes.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:56 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
When a 12 lb helicoper comes flying towards you with 5 feet of spinning blades, and the tail rotor is tail up in the air, there's absolutely no mistaking that sound, nor the mortal fear it inspires. I've had it happen three times now, which is why I always get really nervous whenever a heli guy takes off and starts hovering behind me while I'm trying to fly a plane at the flight line.

You only need one experience with a sheared rotor flying right past your head to realize that Heli's are ridiculously dangerous, and they're difficult enough to fly that most new heli pilots are just as much a risk as any new plane pilot.

I stopped going to Heli events because there were just too many close calls for my comfort. That, and I got tired of watching guys yell at each other.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:58 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
When a 15 lb helicoper comes flying towards you, 5 feet blades aimed in your direction, out of control, with the tail rotor up in the air, there's absolutely no mistaking that sound, nor the mortal fear it inspires. I've had it happen three times now, which is why I always get really nervous whenever a heli guy takes off and starts hovering behind me while I'm trying to fly a plane at the flight line. Guys doing crazy 3d acrobatics right at the flight line with people standing a few feet away is another thing that terrifies me.

You only need one experience with a sheared rotor flying right past your head to realize that Heli's are ridiculously dangerous, and they're difficult enough to fly that most new heli pilots are just as much a risk as any new plane pilot.

I stopped going to Heli events because there were just too many close calls for my comfort. That, and I got tired of watching guys yell at each other.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:20 AM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,551 Posts
It's true, people stand too close to airplanes and helis some times. I've seen airplane guys get a little bent out of shape now and then too though. Haven't seen any UFO guys get too worked up. Probably because a the majority of wings flying around didn't cost that much and don't break too easily.