HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:28 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
133 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone P-47D - Orientation Issues Due to Gray Color - How Do I Resolve This?

I took my Parkzone P-47D out today for its maiden flight... I almost lost it 3 or 4 times due to orientation loss, due to its gray wings making me lose track of which side I was looking at... It seems the gray color on the top and bottom of the plane makes it so I cannot tell what side is up, and when the wings are tipped they are the same color on the top so I cannot tell what side of the wing is right and left... I want to be able to tell the following from just looking at the plane at a distance: Front of plane, left top wing, right top wing, bottom left wing, and bottom right wing. I did add some large checker strips to the wings, but you cannot view them when the plane is at any distance, so it was uselesss... I had to stop flying today due to this issue... I love this plane it flies like dream, I just hate the gray perfectly matching sky color... Thanks again and please advise as to the color to use and where exactly to put it.
VEGAS_RC_ACE is offline Find More Posts by VEGAS_RC_ACE
Last edited by VEGAS_RC_ACE; Apr 23, 2011 at 01:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
16 Posts
Put some orange on there, it's the easiest color to see!
williamwalton is offline Find More Posts by williamwalton
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:53 PM
Joined Apr 2011
133 Posts
Thanks Will, but where EXACTLY should I put it?
Last edited by VEGAS_RC_ACE; Apr 23, 2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 02:15 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,923 Posts
If you're going to repaint it for orientation, you might as well go for a fully custom scheme. I typically find that orange on top and black/white on the bottom to be optimal for visibility....

Or better yet, rub the whole thing down with kicker (the paint will come right off) and pick a scale paint scheme that will work better for you!

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...7g-m2&aql=&oq=
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Apr 23, 2011, 02:19 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2010
468 Posts
Keep it in a tighter pattern, don,t go so far out.At least it helps me when its not so far away..
motor12 is offline Find More Posts by motor12
Old Apr 23, 2011, 03:36 PM
Joined Apr 2011
133 Posts
Thx guys, especially MRGTX... I will try and fly closer but still that gets boring... I want to be able to fly at some distance and at least see what control surface is what...
Old Apr 23, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Apr 2011
133 Posts
What is kicker?
Old Apr 23, 2011, 05:06 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGAS_RC_ACE View Post
What is kicker?
"Kicker" is a curing catalyst for instant glues like Zap and usually local hobby shops carry it.

It sounds like you're in the 'learning curve' (don't know when it really ends, Ha!) and you will graduate from wanting to watch the control surfaces and become ahead of the airplane in your guidance. You'll go more by how the airplane is responding than knowing just how the surfaces are moving. The colors of the airplane will matter less as it becomes more intuitive to fly. Just my $.02.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Apr 23, 2011, 05:12 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,493 Posts
I find that adding the invasion stripes to the bottom of the wing works quite well. The contrast is really visible when flying and helps with orientation. It's almost as if WWII planes were designed just for us RC guys to model and fly!
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
Old Apr 23, 2011, 05:40 PM
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Jan 2011
1,069 Posts
I kind off follow every move of the plane in my head, and even if I'm not sure 100% position of the plane, I know what i just did, what position I started that maneuver and what is going to happen next.
Plus don't fly far away if you don't have lots of altitude to fix your mistakes
scoobiemario is offline Find More Posts by scoobiemario
Old Apr 23, 2011, 05:53 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,185 Posts
Im with Edge...Invasion stripes are a big help, also changing the paint scheme a bit to a Fighter Group with a red or yellow cowl will also help....even black and white checkers...LOL
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:35 PM
Joined Apr 2011
133 Posts
Thanks guys!!! You guys are saving me... Right now I am ripping off all decals and preparing to paint with airbrush.... I am going to paint the top all black and the bottom all neon yellow... What do you guys think? Is that ok? I did flat black on top so its not super shiny when the sun hits it as I live in the desert... Is this a good idea? Thanks guys!
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:44 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Here's a Nazi captured P-47.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/350/2/0/2

TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:50 PM
Joined Apr 2011
133 Posts
Thanks TripleW..... AWESOME!!!!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:44 PM
Joined Apr 2011
133 Posts
I just painted it like the link you sent Triple W... Without the German markings as I love the USA... I will use it like a captured and then re-captured US plane and I ordered black stickers for markings.... I will post pics soon.
Closed Thread