Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:54 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jun 2013
18 Posts
Discussion
Choosing a Tx for Quads only - How many channels?

I have done quite a bit of research on different models and brands.

The only thing I still need advice on, is how many channels should I support if I plan on doing FPV.? I doubt I will do AP within the next year or two, and by that time I will want another radio. I would think that 7-9 channels would be decent, and I was looking at getting a used Hitec Aurora 9x.

I have to goto the hobby shop and look at these Tx and see which one i like the most.

Please any advice you can give me i appreciate.
sur3fir3 is online now Find More Posts by sur3fir3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:17 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,022 Posts
Something like a Turnigy 9x radio
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Jul 21, 2014, 01:03 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,959 Posts
Atleast 5. I never use autolevel so i've only ever used 4. But i use five channels with a plane alarm occupying the fifth. When i crash, or do an emergency landing over grass, i flick a switch and the quad starts beeping an SOS.

For the radio, try to get one with a slot in the back that accept modules. I have a Turnigy 9XR and i use these with it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Module_RX.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html

You can also look into the Taranis, haven't actually used it but most seem to recommend it.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2014, 02:48 AM
Joined Jun 2013
18 Posts
I've used turnigy radios in surface RC, and the quality of their steering, and triggers were crap. How are the Turnigy Gimbals?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 04:14 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,959 Posts
Compared to a Devo7? Not good. But it's passable, and if you're planning on replacing the radio anyway, it's a good start.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2014, 06:18 AM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
1,888 Posts
Grab a a turnigy 9x, smartieparts board , backlight for around $100-120 and have a pretty versatile tx that is super easy to program and with add on modules for dsm2 and other protocols ..
Waterbound is online now Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:01 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,022 Posts
Or for $180 a Taranis with everything
Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:43 AM
Joined Jun 2013
18 Posts
The only thing that has steered me away from the taranis is the programming learning curve. this is my first air based model, and my first quad. Would the taranis be too much for me?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 09:40 AM
Registered Crasher
Joined Apr 2014
22 Posts
While the taranis does run openTX, it comes with it installed, so none of the flashing with a computer has to be done. I use er9x (somehow related to openTX) on my radio, and I haven't found the setup to be difficult at all. The only programming you would have to do is setting up what sticks and switches go to what channel, which is required on any radio. Just Google taranis setup.
Seigfried is offline Find More Posts by Seigfried
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:21 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,022 Posts
Learning curve for the Taranis won't be much more than any of the 9x radios. It's a great value and you don't have to modify the radio. Comes with most of the mods you'll end up doing anyways. USB connection. The newer firmware allows you to use the Taranis as a joystick for your computer. Voice. Built in telemetry. I highly recommend it.
Old Yesterday, 12:30 AM
Joined Jun 2013
18 Posts
I really dont like turnigy/flysky anyways i would rather have a dx6i, If i was going that cheap. My only concern for the taranis was the software programming for sticks and channels.

I've modified xboxes jailbroken/rooted cell phones. I like to mess with Rasperry pis, solder.. etc. So hardware mods are easier for me to do than the software side.

Thanks for the push in the right direction I really wanted one of these but was afraid it might be too much Tx for me. I will put in my order when my Armattan order ships out
Last edited by sur3fir3; Yesterday at 12:35 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,022 Posts
I'm the same way. I've done plenty of hardware hacks and mods like the xbox :P but for the cost of the Taranis I've would had started with that radio. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck!