HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Please help spread the word about the RC community petitions to the FAA

Let the voice of the RC community be heard! Sign and share these two petitions! Get the word out!

Splash

Step up and sign these petitions to the FAA to rethink it's stance on FPV and commercial RC operations!

With the FAA's latest statement the Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft a lot of modelers were taken by surprise that the FAA took such a harsh stance on FPV and commercial RC applications. (For a Cliffnote version of the FAA's statement take a look at the image posted below) I'm happy to say that our modeling community is not going to just sit back and watch. All over the web I'm seeing that the RC community is doing it's best to educate people about the different aspects of FPV and multi rotors. And several people have organized petitions to let the FAA and the US government know that we are a voice to be heard and we respectfully do not agree with their latest interpritation!

These are two main petitions that I found online that seem to be getting some traction. I hope that everyone who reads this article would go and sign them immediately.

1) Rescind Your Latest Ruling On Model FPV Flying And The Personal & Commercial Use Of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles.

2)Compel the FAA to adopt the UK's commercial sUAS standards immediately

If anyone has links to other petitions that are relevant to the FAA's statement, please feel free to post them here!

Thanks!

Discussion

Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:50 AM
Multirotor News Contributor
United States, OH, Aurora
Joined Aug 2006
969 Posts
ALSO!! Please add a respectful comment HERE!
Sleepyc is offline Find More Posts by Sleepyc
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:53 AM
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Jan 2014
292 Posts
This is quite sad. I just read this article and saw on the regulations site that there only just over 2000 petitions. When in fact there are over 100,000 hobby enthusiasts. Please stand up for our right to fly and fpv.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorym...limit-flights/
Wolphe is online now Find More Posts by Wolphe
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:56 AM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyc View Post
Done!
BenHayat is online now Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:08 PM
Joined Jan 2014
20 Posts
Done and done
fiveo is online now Find More Posts by fiveo
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:37 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,209 Posts
It will do far more good for people to provide comments directly to the FAA
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Jul 10, 2014, 04:05 PM
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Jan 2014
65 Posts
done.
rattydude77 is offline Find More Posts by rattydude77
Old Jul 10, 2014, 05:05 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Apr 2014
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyc View Post
done!
AnndyBo is online now Find More Posts by AnndyBo
Old Jul 10, 2014, 06:45 PM
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jan 2008
133 Posts
Done
rockstar08 is offline Find More Posts by rockstar08
Old Jul 10, 2014, 09:01 PM
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
That would suck if they did this! The majority of real estate is within built up areas, UK standards would suck it! Try this one instead: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...lanes/kHsRbnPp
baileysookie is offline Find More Posts by baileysookie
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:56 PM
I am what I teach
Tucson AZ
Joined Mar 2007
457 Posts
Anybody have a link to the UK standards or have an explanation of what they are? I'd hate to sign something only to find it an out of the pan and into the fire situation.

As for the second petition listed - I like the general idea but I feel it was written a bit too much in anger. Anybody that's tired to get a government official to do something will tell you that if you go in yelling you're more likely to get the door slammed in your face.
moparren is offline Find More Posts by moparren
Last edited by moparren; Jul 11, 2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 06:13 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Nov 2013
262 Posts
Unfortunately, I think the 2nd Petition relating to the UK UAS regulations is fundamentally the same as what the FAA proposes:
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?ca...5&pageid=16012

They basically require LOS, unaided operator visual contact. The biggest difference is that they do detail differences in rules between under 20kg airframes, have specific rules for aerial photography (stricter), and offer / suggest there are ways to certify airworthiness and operator competence for flights outside those parameters listed.
makattack is online now Find More Posts by makattack
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:57 AM
United States, OR, Mt Hood
Joined May 2014
215 Posts
Sleepy,

I've responded to the FAA's comment site and am currently preparing a waiver request. On top of that I've posted links to petitions on three RC sites and advised the petition writer of several other sites to post in. What I cannot understand is the apathy or disinterest the multirotor/FPV/sport flyer community is demonstrating by their lack of response. It's almost like they think none of this will have any impact on them.

Considering that many in here are still asking questions about FPV equipment and use it's almost like they haven't read or heard a thing related to the special rules proposal. Perhaps they have yet to hear of the 400' altitude limits or having to request permission from airport operators to fly within 5 miles of the airport at any altitude. Perhaps they think what they do will remain exempt from special rules. More likely they have failed to consider that once any rules are enacted those rules will grow exponentially, just like taxes. Just as TFR's have been expanded to include the grounding of RC aircraft whenever Air Force One is landing within 25 miles or so of the area.

This isn't just about commercial use of RC sized aircraft, it's an airspace grab and denial of people's right to use civil airspace. It's the government again demonstrating that it desires total control of everything by regulating things that for 100 years have required no regulation. It's about limiting aerial commercial operations to only those firms and corporations that will be able to spend many millions of $$ to meet aircraft certification requirements that are currently applicable to manned aircraft and their systems.

It won't matter if all you do is fly a foamie in the park, soon it will impact you. Look at the actions of the New York aviation cops as an indication of how bad they want regulations that will enable them to arrest and prosecute anyone flying in their cities. You either step up and get involved or sit back and take whatever will be handed out to you and give up your voice to protest and complain about the result forever.
PatR is offline Find More Posts by PatR
Last edited by PatR; Jul 11, 2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:04 AM
United States, OR, Mt Hood
Joined May 2014
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolphe View Post
This is quite sad. I just read this article and saw on the regulations site that there only just over 2000 petitions. When in fact there are over 100,000 hobby enthusiasts. Please stand up for our right to fly and fpv.
AMA membership alone accounts for ~160,000 RC aviation enthusiasts. Internet sales and other marketing means would suggest there are likely nearly as many that have not been counted due to a lack of association with the AMA. That would place the total number of people participating in RC aviation close to equal as the number of people currently active as full scale private pilots. Those people are vastly more organized that RC hobbyists are and do all they can to protect their rights to use the U.S. airspace. We seem to prefer doing nothing or letting someone else do what needs to be done instead of doing it ourselves.
PatR is offline Find More Posts by PatR
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:56 PM
BME 102 For Sale, PM me!
USA, NJ, Milford
Joined Jul 2006
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileysookie View Post
That would suck if they did this! The majority of real estate is within built up areas, UK standards would suck it! Try this one instead: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...lanes/kHsRbnPp
this is an inaccurate statement. there is plenty of room in the UK standards for real estate photography, especially if operating below the 7kg weight limit established for the smallest category of sUAS.

Please reconsider your position and sign the petition.

Bart
barchiola is offline Find More Posts by barchiola