Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:39 PM
Hutch
United States, Mt, Bozeman
Joined Jan 2012
309 Posts
Discussion
Stihl moto mix/ sv 26cc gas

After talking with my favorite stihl mechanic, I've decided to run this premade fuel in my newly acquired sv 26. The sv calls for 30:1, and the stihl mix is 50:1, so ill probably add some ultra hp. This stuff is kind of expensive, but is supposed to last a long time and clear up any gunk in the carb. I'm gonna run it at the beginning And end of every flying season. Anyone have any good/bad experience ? I also like that the smell is minimal and not unpleasant! Anyone running anything other than 30:1 in the sv 26

http://m.stihlusa.com/products/techn...stihl-motomix/
hutchinstuff is offline Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:20 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
It is good stuff, but, at $8 or $9 a quart it is a bit spendy. You could go to your local motorcycle shop and buy some "race" fuel, VP brand is one, and mix your own for much less. The "race" fuel is closer to real gasoline than the stuff you buy out of the pump. OH, you don't need anything beyond 90 octane.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Jun 20, 2013, 06:20 AM
Delaware, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
291 Posts
I used the Tru Fuel last summer. If you can find it, they have a 4 stroke fuel with no oil. I was able to find it for about 5.00 a qt at Home Depot. Mixed it cost about 24.00 a gallon. Great stuff, no real smell at all and ran clean. For the cost I switched back to glow.

Jim
jymz is offline Find More Posts by jymz
Old Jun 20, 2013, 09:29 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,028 Posts
Why in the world to people buy gas engines, then spend all their time complaining about the gas smell?
Just aski'n. I don't even notice it.??
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:12 PM
Hutch
Joined Jan 2012
309 Posts
Have anything useful to add Fokker ? I'm not saying I won't run gas, and if you read my post, I plan on running gas during the season. I was just pointing out one of the great things about the moto mix. If gas didn't smell like it does, would you complain that it should smell? Please don't extrapolate what I've posted.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 02:41 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
I don't complain about the smell of gas but my wife sure does
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:14 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchinstuff View Post
Have anything useful to add Fokker ? I'm not saying I won't run gas, and if you read my post, I plan on running gas during the season. I was just pointing out one of the great things about the moto mix. If gas didn't smell like it does, would you complain that it should smell? Please don't extrapolate what I've posted.
Not directed at you, so please don't take offence, but Fokker does have a point there:

Why would people go gas (usually because of the fuel expenses), then instead of gas run a fuel that is pretty much the same price as glow fuel, just because they suddenly realize that ordinary gas smells bad?

I drive a car, so I get to the gas station a lot....
I fly models, so I go to a LHS a lot.
I do NOT use gas-operatied garden appliances, so I do not get at the hardware store a lot....

Then I go from glow to gas, but need to get to a hardware store to get a horribly overpriced fuel with relative to gas or glow fuel limited availlability, because it has no smell on it, while glow fuel did not have a bad smell to begin with....

Funny when you think about it?

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Jun 21, 2013, 03:26 PM
Hutch
Joined Jan 2012
309 Posts
Still, the question is mostly aimed at end of year storage.
You also assume that going with gas is a price point for everyone. I'd probably only go through 2 bottles of the moto mix per year. A lofty $16. I'm not asking about everyone's monetary situation, how close you live to the hardware store, how often you fly, or whether or not you love the smell of gas. I'd just like to know if anyone has used it, and what their experience has been. Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:08 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,469 Posts
Jeezzzz.... you're no fun....

No, I did not use it, because I do not encounter any problems, not even when storing an engine (without ANY lay-up measures) for over 2 years.

I have a can of gasoline mix over 3 years old now that still has starting properties like I bought it last week (yes, I know, I run my car far to little).

So I have no reason whatsoever buying Stihlmix or Aspen 2T

I know a few guys running Stihlmix, and they claim all kinds of benefits, Like long time storage of fuel, effortless starting, higher performance, etc etc, that I just cannot confirm because my engines perform the same, handle the same, start the same, and last the same. My can of ordinary gas still works like new after 3 years.... My engines and fuel just smell a bit more, that is the only difference I have noted, other than the price.

One of those guys adds (Stihl) oil to it, the others run it as is. Only difference I see is a bit more gunk from the pipe, performance wise I don't see differences between them.

I think it is all in the mind, except for the smell.

As I said, Own eyes observation, but not first hand info.

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:37 PM
Hutch
Joined Jan 2012
309 Posts
Thanks! That's great information!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:07 PM
Joined Apr 2011
113 Posts
i am using av gas. very little smell and i get it from friends at the airport. no cost. i use a quality 2 stroke oil mixed to engine manufactures recommended ratio. running a 26cc zenoah
mudcan is offline Find More Posts by mudcan
Last edited by mudcan; Jun 21, 2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: added info