Closed Thread
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:33 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
Did you reverese the rudder servo? It can be done through the radio...one of the dangers in teaching yourself is you can teach yourself bad habits....I again strongly recommend some time with an instructor...take a taxi, horse or walk....you'll be a lot better off even if for just a day....
I don't know where you are flying but I never can recommend flying alone (you ought to see my fingers)(I am glad someone was around when I tangled with a prop) or in this sue happy nation flying anywhere public
I don't mean to sound harsh I don't mean to be I want you to succeed....and the best chance of that is with help
Good Luck
I agree that it would be better to get on a box with a Instructor but he was clear that it isn't an option. I also belong to a club an have AMA. BUT, I also lived in Wyoming for a while where there was NO Club or RC instructor within hundreds of miles. He did say he's waiting on some props so that tells me there's not a hobby shop in his area.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:03 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,154 Posts
He also rides a bike everywhere...I doubt that happens in BFE...my guess is he hasn't done his homework...that there might be a experienced flyer close by..or a club even..I have hobby shops close by but I am waiting on a prop right now.
All I am saying is no one should fly alone...and think twice flying anywhere public
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:33 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
He also rides a bike everywhere...I doubt that happens in BFE...my guess is he hasn't done his homework...that there might be a experienced flyer close by..or a club even..I have hobby shops close by but I am waiting on a prop right now.
All I am saying is no one should fly alone...and think twice flying anywhere public
I completely agree. Rick. If you post your location. I bet we can find an Advanced Flyer/Instructor in your area that would travel to you. It's actually a gratifying thing when you successfully teach someone else how to fly. I've done it with RC and Real Planes.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:39 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2007
1,290 Posts
I am still wondering if you have the ailerons reversed. If you push the stick to the right the right aileron should go UP and the left go down, In other words the aileron should move to meet the stick. (all done from the BACK of the plane.)
Arceenut is offline Find More Posts by Arceenut
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:56 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
I too am wondering about the ailerons being reversed. In a drive you should of had enough speed for the aileons to start working
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:41 AM
United States, NC, Indian Trail
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
the rudder is correct as per the layout sheet. i could turn the servo around but its no big deal just to reverse the servo on my digital transmitter. I did find a club 10 miles from here, emailed and called but no response. not sure if there still up and running. The place i "try" and fly is a field that is about 100 acres and is desolate on the weekends. I went by there and there was another flyer there. its a 1/4 mile from my house and has a very long paved road running through the center of it and no one drives on it. perfect runway. Im gonna try and get this guy to help me out. he had 3 planes there so im guessing he had some experience. I unfortunately had no time to stick around that day to actually see him fly. I just ordered another plane that may be easier to fly for beginners. a hobbico nextar electric which has the speed brakes for slower flight. I also ramped up the difficulty on my realflight 6 sim with some drastic wind conditions, although i would never fly an actual plane in these conditions it gives me a better understanding of the unstable flight characteristics in extreme wind conditions.

Thx
Rick
asusrick is offline Find More Posts by asusrick
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:30 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asusrick View Post
the rudder is correct as per the layout sheet. i could turn the servo around but its no big deal just to reverse the servo on my digital transmitter.
Rick
Rick what about the ailerons? When you move the stick to the right what direction does the right aileron move?
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:20 AM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
yes pda the ailerons r correct. move stick left and,left aileron up, move stick right , right aileron up, looking from behind.

heres the plane after three hard crashes. cant see the damage, but i replaced the windshield 2 times and fixed some wing tip dammage. of course i lost 3 props and a spinner
Last edited by asusrick; Jan 06, 2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added photo
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:57 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,470 Posts
That's a perfect trainer. I can't see another plane being any easier. I hope the one rubber band on each side is just for the pic. When you fly, your at least using 6-8 rubber bands, right ?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:36 PM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
i use 10 actually. yes its there for easy removal. i remove the wing often, start it every few days and run it for a bit. sometimes i get bored so i run it in my driveway without the wing on till it runs out of gas. only thing i didn't like about the trainer was the landing gear so i just ordered some more. a solid kind and gonna ditch the wire ones
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:28 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,470 Posts
The spring wire landing gear is designed for bad landings. If you land it like a fighter Jet on a carrier, it will just bend the gear. Not the plane. If you put the aluminum or carbon fiber gear in it and have a bad landing. It will tear up the plane. If it were me. I would use this plane as a trainer and save my money for my next venture.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:22 AM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Good point dale I didn't think about that. my only problem with it is it bends out of shape fairly easy and im having to adjust it often and that's just from running it on the road. I want it to track proper during takeoff with minimal input during takeoff so i have no rudder deflection. this has caused one of my accidents. i was trying to keep the plane tracking straight during liftoff and when it did lift off the plane turned because there was rudder applied, then i was trying to correct for this and over corrected. to make a long story short it didn't end well. so now that im on the subject heres the question.

how can i bend this gear to the exact shape on a regular bases without the trial and error method, or is it just trial and error until it looks about right?

By the way I'm originally from Orlando, and i seen another posting here from jax, I also lived in San Marco, worked for Huckins Yacht as a yacht builder
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:08 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,470 Posts
The spring steel gear is what it is. It's never gonna be perfect.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:00 PM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
found a possible problem with the plane. my first cg stand i built i wasn't pleased with it so i built a "super duper" model. after i put it on the scale it had 1-1/2 ozs to much in the tail., and i mean it was all the way at the end by the stabilizer, which could have been making it want to climb at an alarming rate and stalling. of course im guessing that this may be the cause through simple deduction. I'm am ready to fly again and do my best
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:46 PM
United States, TX, The Colony
Joined Nov 2012
315 Posts
Good luck.
Full throttle on takeoff! They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.
los36 is online now Find More Posts by los36
Closed Thread