Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuano View Post
There are a lot of different phantom builds out there, but the ESCs accept a very wide range of gains, and many configs will work well between 120-180%. If you are flying single battery with gimbal, I would say start with 140/140/140/100 basic p/r/y/v (the last two tend to be user preference) and whatever you like for fast/slow stick input for the attitude gains. You will be adjusting basic pitch/roll mostly, based on whether the phantom is twitchy/warbly/spastic (in which case drop pitch/roll by 10-15 and retest), or slow and lazy and difficult keeping position (in which case increase by 10/15 and retest).
Thanks
It will give me a base line to start with.
I am using single battery if that makes a diff.
Plus its typically windy where I live and it wants to wander all over the place.
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 05:06 AM
Joined Dec 2013
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wheel View Post
Thanks moonlitnite and Brandigan.

Your success with the 1.1.1 has given me a glimmer of new hope for mine.

I used the x1 with the tilt control method and was able to find a setting with a minimum of wobble, but still had too much. The last time I tried with those settings is when it went into a wild wobble just before landing and broke one of the props. That was with 1 battery in the normal position. It was stable during vertical rise, but would start wobbling a little in hover and then became worse during fast forward flight. In GPS mode, it would wobble wildly when I turned the stick loose during forward flight and then smooth out after it it had stopped and was hovering. Descending, even very slowly, in a hover was almost impossible. I would have to descend a few inches and then release the sticks to let it hover and stop bucking around. Then repeat until it was a few inches from the ground, where I would cut power and let it drop onto its skids. I could descend more smoothly if moving slowly in any direction, but landing was always an adventure.

I gave up on the 9 inch props for getting more flight time and went to the external 'saddle bag' battery mounts. With 8 inch props, the external packs, and stock p1 gains, it flies smooth in all modes of flight. I strap the packs onto the bottom of the mounts and my center of gravity checks right on. I understand that moving the weight away from the center could make it more difficult for the controller to handle momentum changes. It's the same when flying a full size airplane with wing tip fuel tanks. The pilot has to compensate for the momentum, the mass, being so far from the center of the aircraft. However, the same is true whether 8 inch or 9 inch props are used. As I said, mine is smooth as silk with 8 inch props, both with 1 pack inside or 2 packs on the external mounts. It also flies smoothly with the 8 inch props and p2 gains.

I have only seen a few people claiming to get smooth flights with v1 and 9 inch props. These were with older Phantoms, or they have changed motors, esc's, etc. It makes me wonder if the newer 1.1.1 version (less than 6 months old) have the same motors, esc's, as the older birds or the v2/vision. moonlite, when did you purchase your 1.1.1?

Later;

D.W.
Seems like it was early/mid-December 2013 before the holidays, close to the time the new P1.1.1 came out with the Zenmuse H3-2d at the reduced price. Yes, still using the original vintage 2214 DJI motors (with my Tiger AntiGravity still in wait). Never touched the factory ESCs, etc - only upgrading to the P2-type props, dual batteries (UNDER the sideboard mount) and FPV.
moonlitnite is offline Find More Posts by moonlitnite
Old Today, 05:34 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wheel View Post
<snip>
I have only seen a few people claiming to get smooth flights with v1 and 9 inch props. These were with older Phantoms, or they have changed motors, esc's, etc. It makes me wonder if the newer 1.1.1 version (less than 6 months old) have the same motors, esc's, as the older birds or the v2/vision. moonlite, when did you purchase your 1.1.1?
<snippity>
Already answered this back here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post28971152

And you won't (even I don't) get smooth flight with 9" props and original 8" gains, certainly in wind.; they are more 'bitey' and ride the wind more, so faster gains need to be able to respond to that.

At least try the P2 gains with your current 8" props and see how that flies, because that combination works fine on a Phantom 2.

If it's all good, then you'll be at least partly prepared for the 9450 9" props from Tahoe Ed.
Brandigan is online now Find More Posts by Brandigan
Last edited by Brandigan; Today at 05:49 AM.