HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:27 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; May 07, 2013 at 11:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:34 PM
United States, WI, River Falls
Joined Jan 2013
25 Posts
What is the best way to remove the flybar? I don't like that it doesn't have a screw. I pried it apart and now the plastic seems to have some negative memory effects.
Sipple31 is offline Find More Posts by Sipple31
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:10 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
[QUOTE=Steve_;23864297]It's spinning clockwise as observed from above?

To spin clockwise, the tail has to over-power the main motor.
Your tail motor is stock?

A more common problem when upgrading to the Xtreme 180 motors is
the stock tail motor cannot keep up, and the helicopter spins counter-clockwise.

Have you had any recent crashes or flybar strikes?

Unwanted clockwise rotation is usually a defective gyro, or shorted output transistor.[/QUOTE

Thanks for your reply guys... It has a stock tail motor that
has maybe 5 flights. The Pcb is the original, and has been thru some hellatious crashes. Like nosing into the ground a couple of times at fff. Where the battery has launched almost all the way thru the canopy. And the usual drops from 50 ft coming out of trees. So I wouldn't be surprised if the gyro was tweeked. But when I hold the bird and test the gyro by pitching her left and right the tail motor does Rev up swinging ccw and shuts down swinging cw.

Also to answer Blair's question. I don't really notice a difference in any power between the oem motor and the extreme.
camano27 is offline Find More Posts by camano27
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:19 PM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
Well I flew it a little today but didn't push it because it's real windy and only 25 degrees. It flies fine, but differently than before. The best way I can describe it is that the heli feels like it flies lighter, if that makes any sense. It'll take some getting used to, but I think I'm going to like it.

Do I see a modded swashplate?
Laidback_racer is offline Find More Posts by Laidback_racer
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:50 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I guess the most telling question would be how does the Xtreme 180 lift? If it lifts better than the stock motor, you have gyro issues.
I have both a new oem main motor and a new pcb in "stock", so I guess ill first put in the new motor and see what happens. If there is no change I imagine that my gyro is fubar.
But I am wondering why the new xtreme motor seems to be only as powerful as a worn out oem motor. Ive read over 160 pages of these 9116 posts, and nobody ever mentioned having to tweek there pcb to use the xtreme motor. I know ive read of people burning out stuff when trying to run both the xtreme and a stronger tail motor together. I also know that there is a mod out there to over ride the "MOPS"??? But my xtreme runs without the pcb cutting the throttle, which is what I thought was the reason for the mod. But seriously my xtreme seems to run like a tired oem. What the heck is going on????
I am using the larger gage wire that the xtreme came with buy soldering the wire to the lugs in the oem connector. Everything else is stock.
I would love any wisdom you might feel gracious enough to impart on me old cranky wise one.
Ken
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:14 PM
Joined Dec 2012
385 Posts
Bad battery connection or weak FETs?
resago is online now Find More Posts by resago
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:28 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by resago View Post
Bad battery connection or weak FETs?
I have two new 900 lipos that I run her with. And a balancing charger to charge them with. What is a FET?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:51 PM
Joined Dec 2012
385 Posts
MOSFET. Check the battery wires that are soldered to the pcb. sometimes only half the strands are soldered. Good enough for stock motor but not the extreme.
resago is online now Find More Posts by resago
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:25 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by resago View Post
MOSFET. Check the battery wires that are soldered to the pcb. sometimes only half the strands are soldered. Good enough for stock motor but not the extreme.
Well if that's the case, it could very well be the novice soldering job I did on those TINY oem pin lugs. Very delicate work. Maybe id be better off using the oem wire and soldering to the motor, which isn't as delicate?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:02 AM
Just a 9116 flyer.
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Dec 2012
613 Posts
Sipple31 wrote,
Quote:
What is the best way to remove the flybar? I don't like that it doesn't have a screw. I pried it apart and now the plastic seems to have some negative memory effects.
That's the only way.
Try squeezing it back together a tad before replacing the bar.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those that may be interested in which MOSFETs they are...
The part # stamped on them is > GEP1 4241.
I tried a Google for them but couldn't find anything relative.
Most cofnusnig.
Anyone have any luck?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you're replacing the motor, I'd suggest using a slightly heavier gauge wire.
You can use stranded or solid. It's up to you.
Maybe around 2mm squared? 10 Amp stuff.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Fathead wrote...
Quote:
Hey guys, i have another question. Im tinkering with my servo linkages trying to get the swash level. Is it normal for the swash to lean backwards with throttle, but level without?
I levelled the swash (static), tried a hover & noticed that the RHS servo pulled down on power up.
I tried to adjust the trims but ran out of adjustment.
Hand held, I then adjusted the swash for level with power applied.
It's weird mixing going on in the chip....apparently, or my PCB is on the way out.

L..
Rajah235 is offline Find More Posts by Rajah235
Last edited by Rajah235; Jan 20, 2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:08 AM
Build the Weapon....
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Jan 2013
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camano27 View Post
Well if that's the case, it could very well be the novice soldering job I did on those TINY oem pin lugs. Very delicate work. Maybe id be better off using the oem wire and soldering to the motor, which isn't as delicate?
Perhaps try soldering the new heavy wires from the motor direct to the PCB as Steve suggests?
Laidback_racer is offline Find More Posts by Laidback_racer
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:15 AM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback_racer View Post
Perhaps try soldering the new heavy wires from the motor direct to the PCB as Steve suggests?
Not sure how to accomplish that mod. Pry off plastic female connector from pcb??
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:16 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,687 Posts
More 9116 weight reductions

Information removed.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:25 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,687 Posts
Information removed.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:49 AM
Just a 9116 flyer.
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Dec 2012
613 Posts
camano27,
Yes.
The whole connector has to be removed. Use some de-soldering braid to clean up the connection & while hot, just pull it out.
Be quick, otherwise you'll de-glue the PCB tracks.

Looks great Steve.
Rajah235 is offline Find More Posts by Rajah235