Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:24 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Hixson
Joined Nov 2012
110 Posts
Well, after a lot of sessions, I need to go to bed. Flew the mQX after flying the Nano all night and MAN is it easy by comparison.

Would anyone suggest tuning down the D/R and exp at all? I have them set to the specs from the Nano manual which is 100%/30%

With the DX6i I also have a super aggressive setup now on the mQX as well as a really really forgiving setup that I want my GF to try flying it on.
schott1984 is offline Find More Posts by schott1984
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:21 AM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
You can imagine what those who learned with a V911 or DH9116 would be experiencing with the Nano. These are self-stabilizing single rotor helis with slow response and very little movement authority or power.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:26 PM
Incurable heli addict
McKrackin's Avatar
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schott1984 View Post
Well, after a lot of sessions, I need to go to bed. Flew the mQX after flying the Nano all night and MAN is it easy by comparison.

Would anyone suggest tuning down the D/R and exp at all? I have them set to the specs from the Nano manual which is 100%/30%

With the DX6i I also have a super aggressive setup now on the mQX as well as a really really forgiving setup that I want my GF to try flying it on.
Yes...Turn the rates from 100% to 75% and bump the expo up from 30% to 45%

Should be very docile then.

Also turn your rudder servo limit down to about 40% from 100% to slow the pirouette rate.

Expo softens the servos around center...A higher number is more tame while a lower number speeds the servo up through the center of travel.

Futaba expo is opposite but off topic.lol...
McKrackin is offline Find More Posts by McKrackin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:20 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Hixson
Joined Nov 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKrackin View Post
Yes...Turn the rates from 100% to 75% and bump the expo up from 30% to 45%

Should be very docile then.

Also turn your rudder servo limit down to about 40% from 100% to slow the pirouette rate.

Expo softens the servos around center...A higher number is more tame while a lower number speeds the servo up through the center of travel.

Futaba expo is opposite but off topic.lol...
Well I came home from work and after dinner got ballsy and decided to try flying in "stunt" mode (DX6i programmed per NCPX manual) and am actually having an easier time flying around tonight than I was last night in normal mode.

Today is another day I guess.

I did try flipping it over and crashed pretty violently into the wall. Maybe I should learn to fly upside down in the outdoors?
schott1984 is offline Find More Posts by schott1984
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:09 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Hixson
Joined Nov 2012
110 Posts
And I broke the tail boom. Hopefully there is one locally otherwise it's waiting on ebay.
schott1984 is offline Find More Posts by schott1984
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:48 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2012
76 Posts
Get some spare parts. My tail boom was also the first part I broke
Since then I always have a spare boom, just in case...

I also bought a replacement main motor, rotor head, landing skids, main shaft and some other stuff.

Meanwhile I had to replace the landing skids and yesterday I replaced my main motor. Best to have these things available and order a new one when you installed your last. This way you never run out of spares
Passero is offline Find More Posts by Passero
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:12 AM
HeliBent
United States, MD, Port Deposit
Joined Dec 2011
12 Posts
I'm jealous. I just bought Phoenix with the DX5e just so I could buy the Blade BNFs... namely the nano. Strange thing is I was just as excited about phoenix as I was with a new heli! I wasn't let down either!!
suzukirobguy is offline Find More Posts by suzukirobguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:27 AM
HeliBent
United States, MD, Port Deposit
Joined Dec 2011
12 Posts
That's the other reason I want to give the nano a try... the LHS always has blade parts in stock. I've had the msr and the cx, and the parts were always there!!
suzukirobguy is offline Find More Posts by suzukirobguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:08 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Hixson
Joined Nov 2012
110 Posts
Back in business! Hobbytown for some reason hasn't ordered NCPX parts for stock yet. Stupid? If they sell the heli, I think so.

Found a real LHS that carries them so I got two new tail booms. Gunna try flying with the bullet blades now. Can't wait for the weekend so I can try flying outside...
schott1984 is offline Find More Posts by schott1984
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:09 PM
Incurable heli addict
McKrackin's Avatar
Southern Ohio
Joined Mar 2009
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schott1984 View Post
Back in business! Hobbytown for some reason hasn't ordered NCPX parts for stock yet. Stupid? If they sell the heli, I think so.

Found a real LHS that carries them so I got two new tail booms. Gunna try flying with the bullet blades now. Can't wait for the weekend so I can try flying outside...
Good luck and enjoy.
McKrackin is offline Find More Posts by McKrackin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:28 AM
AMA 994002
matiac's Avatar
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,045 Posts
So an Art Tech Falcon 450 would be a bad choice up from a 4 channel (converted D.H. 9104)? Actually, right now it's a 3 channel, but I'm in the process of converting it to 4 ch. 2.4GHz, but right now I can fly it around with a pretty high degree of proficiency, hence the 2.4 swap...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:03 AM
Registered User
United States, TN, Hixson
Joined Nov 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiac View Post
So an Art Tech Falcon 450 would be a bad choice up from a 4 channel (converted D.H. 9104)? Actually, right now it's a 3 channel, but I'm in the process of converting it to 4 ch. 2.4GHz, but right now I can fly it around with a pretty high degree of proficiency, hence the 2.4 swap...
Beats me... The bigger helis look a lot less twitchy than this nano but I bet when you make a mistake you break a lot more stuff because of the power and could get hurt pretty bad if it hits you.
schott1984 is offline Find More Posts by schott1984
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:11 AM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiac View Post
So an Art Tech Falcon 450 would be a bad choice up from a 4 channel (converted D.H. 9104)? Actually, right now it's a 3 channel, but I'm in the process of converting it to 4 ch. 2.4GHz, but right now I can fly it around with a pretty high degree of proficiency, hence the 2.4 swap...
All DH helis have a very high degree of self-stabilization and very limited movement authority. They are not good preparation for flying any CP heli. They are toys that allow you to have some fun, not learning tools. Buy a micro quad before attempting the transition. It will make things much less frustrating and costly.

Art Tech helis have never sold very well. They have a reputation for being heavy, complex and not very durable. They do seem to be improving regularly, but buying any heli that doesn't have much of a track record is always risky. In any case, its not something I'd recommend for your experience level.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:34 AM
Registered User
United States, TN, Hixson
Joined Nov 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
All DH helis have a very high degree of self-stabilization and very limited movement authority. They are not good preparation for flying any CP heli. They are toys that allow you to have some fun, not learning tools. Buy a micro quad before attempting the transition. It will make things much less frustrating and costly.

Art Tech helis have never sold very well. They have a reputation for being heavy, complex and not very durable. They do seem to be improving regularly, but buying any heli that doesn't have much of a track record is always risky. In any case, its not something I'd recommend for your experience level.
Mqx was a good one to learn on. I still no where near as touchy a.s nano cpx, though.
schott1984 is offline Find More Posts by schott1984
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:17 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
412 Posts
Definitely try flipping outdoors with lots of room rather than inside.

This video should help, this is how I learned with my MCPX. I can't stay inverted yet so I just do loops.
This guy breaks the steps down really good, do it slow and high and its pretty easy actually. ( I can't stay upside down without freaking out yet ) I learned right->Left with a backflip rather than front flip though.

Flight lesson 4 (freddy can fly) (10 min 31 sec)
KTMDirtFace is offline Find More Posts by KTMDirtFace
Last edited by KTMDirtFace; Nov 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Please let me introduce myself jimaquo Dock Talk 7 Oct 27, 2010 02:27 AM
Discussion New here wanted to introduce myself. jdoenumber2 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 18 Aug 12, 2009 03:08 AM
Discussion Let me introduce myself... dude_109 Coaxial Helicopters 3 Jan 11, 2008 07:00 PM
Alert Let Me Introduce MYSELF Boy'os! "The Dwarf" Motorcycles 1 Apr 30, 2007 03:06 PM
Alert Hi, let me introduce myself... Flip01 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 7 Jan 24, 2005 03:57 AM