HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:11 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,425 Posts
$52 per day for a Nissan Wagon is very good if it's a 4WD. All fullsize 4WD's are a lot more expensive than the smaller things. I like the idea of the Outback if there's only one or 2 people, as it's more than capable but cheaper than the big 4WD's.

I sent this in a message to Knut: What I found with the US trips is that there are online booking sites that buy a large amount of business and sell it off cheaper than going direct. The first time I went with http://carrentalrepublic.com/ and the second time I went with http://www.netflights.com/ and for both bookings I chose to rent the car from Thrifty in LA. It's sometimes less than half the price of dealing direct with Thrifty.

I haven't booked a car for NZ yet. But I looked thru the above sites, and found a cheaper price with http://www.omegarentalcars.com/ so if I do book one I'll probably look to them. But I'd be happy renting from one of those "rentawreck" mobs too.

Hey with your boxes, remember that they do have to be pretty strong. You want to be able to perch the box on the crossbar of a trolley when it's fully packed, without it bending under its own weight. And imagine someone dropping another heavy box onto it or stepping on it (these things do happen unfortunately) ... yours needs to be rigid enough not to squash. I wasn't happy with the strength of single layer 5mm coreflute so I put a second layer inside, cross-grain. It sticks brilliantly with 3m77. The one I made for the April trip is still intact after months of storage. My long USA box which was 2.1m long and held 32kg needed 5mm for the entire inside layer and weighed 7.3kg. But the new shorter box for NZ which is 1.7m long and will only hold 23kg uses some 5mm and some 3mm coreflute inside, and it weighs 4.2kg.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:15 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,003 Posts
Andrew, any chance to see a picture of your box? Just found a coreflute supplier about 10 min from my home.
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:16 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,425 Posts
Box pictures are here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...reflut&page=11

There are some more pictures of the rivets on the previous page.

Subsequent to this I lined the inside with a cross-grained layer of 5mm coreflute.

I don't have any pics of the new box but I'll take some when I pack it next Monday!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,219 Posts
Well although the 2mm aluminum composite sheet was on the info sheet. The supplier only stocks 3mm and much heavier. I had been looking at building something that I could use long term (throw in a trailer or take on other trips etc) but now will look at thing differently. I do have 70mm blue foam I could use but looking more and more at a light coreflute box lined with white foam to make it a little more ridged and the blue foam in the base.
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:18 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,425 Posts
I don't agree with lining the box with foam. It just takes up space, which is a premium. Just make a rigid box, and rely on good packaging of the gear within it. For peace of mind, I most like the plywood box that I took to the States last year, but it's a bit heavy so I'm happy to compromise with double wall coreflute. Even if you have foam lining, it won't protect against simple damage like the flap horns of one wing dinting another one, so inevitably you have to pack everything carefully. My mouldie wings and fuses all have good bags, but even so I put a lot of thought into putting slices of white foam between wings, jamming rolled up bits of cardboard here and there to stop stuff moving, and jamming bubblewrap everywhere. You want the box to be filled tightly with the lid closing tight so that if the box is rolled upside down, the planes inside still stay snug.

EDIT: P.S. if you don't have good padded wing and fuse bags, think about it. Not just for the plane trip, but even more so to protect them during the trip. At home, when you get a day out flying, perhaps you and your flying buddy know how to pack your gear carefully into your own car. But on a DS Safari like NZ in December you're gonna find yourself in a strange car, throwing all sorts of gear in, perhaps picking up other guys and their gear. You might be moving around and have suitcases and stuff in the back, and keeping it all under control is a challenge. And for most of us it's not normal to spend a huge intense day out flying, DSing, meeting new guys and so on, then do it again the next day ... and the next again. Maybe you guys are nuclear powered but I get really tired and likely to do stupid things. In short, it's a classic situation for accidents and damage to happen. Maybe all the gear is stacked up and falls over going round a corner and his super heavy D80 fuse falls on your light F3F wing. You don't see that your V-tail is down beside the seat, and someone pushes the door shut. The charger is balanced on the headrest and someone tugs on the lead and it falls on the planes. Etc, etc, etc. If your wings are packed in nice strong Insulaire (or similar) bags they're not going to get easily damaged. Peace of mind.
Last edited by AvB; Sep 28, 2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,219 Posts
AvB your experience really shows and although most of my planes get thrown about without wing bags without issues (foamies etc)I will make a few more.

I had planed to take my good F5J model for lighter days but as you said it may get knocked around. This does have wing bags but although molded large sections are built up between the spar and TE.

If I don't take it it will also mean i could use a smaller box.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:16 AM
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
514 Posts
This is the box that I took to Manilla. It is 1650x400x550 and I took 9 gliders over and 11 home and fully packed it weighed around 30kg. It is made from 5mm corflute with a lining of 5mm corflute in most places. I had no breakages on either flight and I now use it for storage in my garage but it will come out of retirement for the CHCH event. I think that corflute is the way forward in spite of being a bit heavy
jonoashton is offline Find More Posts by jonoashton
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonoashton View Post
This is the box that I took to Manilla. It is 1650x400x550 and I took 9 gliders over and 11 home and fully packed it weighed around 30kg. It is made from 5mm corflute with a lining of 5mm corflute in most places. I had no breakages on either flight and I now use it for storage in my garage but it will come out of retirement for the CHCH event. I think that corflute is the way forward in spite of being a bit heavy
What airline did you fly with?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:34 AM
Joined May 2006
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSELECTRIC View Post
What airline did you fly with?
Qantas. They are great
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:51 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,425 Posts
That's a great looking box Jono! What are the 3 button things on the edge of the lid? Interested in what you used to secure the lid. I have screws and bits of ply to screw into, but something simpler would be good.

Wow, took 9 gliders over!! And 11 back!!! Wow! Problem with the big fast DS planes is they're so heavy ... even taking 32kg max, you could only fit in perhaps 5 big DS ships.

I'd love to go Qantas and I agree they're great. I went with them to the US both times, using frequent flyer points. I took 3 items of checked baggage each trip: a 32kg 2100mm long box of gliders, plus a well stocked toolbox, and a huge suitcase. It was good value. They're Much more flexible with fare changes and stuff too. The only reason I didn't go Qantas this time is that they have no direct flights from Brisbane and it makes the trip lots longer.

Frequent flyer points are a bit of a joke in some ways, but for glider trips like these I like using them. I'm never 100% sure I'm going till I'm on the plane, and with FF points you can cancel or change flights with very little penalty. Not so with cheap fares booked the usual way.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:09 AM
Joined May 2006
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
That's a great looking box Jono! What are the 3 button things on the edge of the lid? Interested in what you used to secure the lid. I have screws and bits of ply to screw into, but something simpler would be good.

Wow, took 9 gliders over!! And 11 back!!! Wow! Problem with the big fast DS planes is they're so heavy ... even taking 32kg max, you could only fit in perhaps 5 big DS ships.

I'd love to go Qantas and I agree they're great. I went with them to the US both times, using frequent flyer points. I took 3 items of checked baggage each trip: a 32kg 2100mm long box of gliders, plus a well stocked toolbox, and a huge suitcase. It was good value. They're Much more flexible with fare changes and stuff too. The only reason I didn't go Qantas this time is that they have no direct flights from Brisbane and it makes the trip lots longer.
They are Hobby King M6 nylon bolts and blind nuts with home made aluminium washers. I had the rear of the lid hinged with corflute and 7 bolts all up for retaining the remainder of the lid. It worked well.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:37 AM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Palmerston North NZ
Joined Dec 2006
1,186 Posts
Yes Jono's idea was great and they work well, the ones he gave me are round with a slot.
pope is offline Find More Posts by pope
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,219 Posts
Well father inlaw had the dibond rep out today and we are starting to make progress on my box. Going to use dilite at about 3.1kg/m2. Box will be 600 wide 400 high on one side and 200 on the other, the length wil be 1600.

Total weight should be around 10Kg
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:22 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,003 Posts
transport box

I started my box today, got some core-flute today ansome 3m 76 hi tack spray adhesive. I have used 2 layers of 5mm stuff. So far I used 2@ 8x4 sheets, Still need another sheet to make the lid. Wasn't very successful with the rivets. The ones I got are too strong. It squashes the 2 layers totally.
Have to see if I can get something more suitable.
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroNut45 View Post
I started my box today, got some core-flute today ansome 3m 76 hi tack spray adhesive. I have used 2 layers of 5mm stuff. So far I used 2@ 8x4 sheets, Still need another sheet to make the lid. Wasn't very successful with the rivets. The ones I got are too strong. It squashes the 2 layers totally.
Have to see if I can get something more suitable.
Looks good what are the dimensions?