HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:27 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,920 Posts
I was planning on hot glue but CA or Goop or anything would work where it is so tight.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:41 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
I am still getting frustrated with building my Albatross. It feels like a very non brand new to the hobby friendly aspect of it
Jaynen is offline Find More Posts by Jaynen
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:13 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,920 Posts
Try watching the building videos? Hope they help.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/albatr...ng-videos.html

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/albatross-46-videos.html
Last edited by Lee; Feb 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:14 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynen View Post
I am still getting frustrated with building my Albatross. It feels like a very non brand new to the hobby friendly aspect of it
Jaynen, We have been there, done it and the aircraft still flew nicely. Watch the videos and if you want something clarified ask away.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:36 AM
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
None of it by itself seems too hard it's just a lot of steps when you want to fly!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:50 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
996 Posts
Understand, one step at a time and you will get there.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:58 AM
My dog ate my airplane
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
189 Posts
Jaynen,

When you buy airplanes in kit form you have to expect some build time, and if you can't enjoy that part of the hobby then there's always ready to fly airplanes out there for you. I enjoy the building part so kits are fun for me, especially these kinds of foamy ARF kits that go together "quickly", but that's relative I suppose? When was a kid most kits were balsa and they were way more labor intensive, so these things are easy for me now I guess, cue Bill Cosby, "When I was your age we had to walk to school barefoot in the snow, uphill... both ways..." Just keep your head up and take baby steps and you will be flying before you know it.
sredlin is offline Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:15 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynen View Post
You might not be a "builder". Nothing wrong with that. I won't sugar coat it, the Albatross is one of the easiest kits you'll ever find. But it's still a kit, not an ARF. The benefit of sticking with it (other than the pride of building a nice flying, indestructable plane) is that you learn a lot more about how model planes work. If you buy an ARF, you hook up the control rods, and it pretty much just works, which is good in a sense, but you don't really learn anything about CG, servos, control rods, batteries, ESC's, motors, etc.

My advice for the future. For any plane you buy, ARF or kit, read the instruction manual before you buy. All the CTH manuals are on line, so you'll know exactly what you're getting into, what's in the kit, what's not in the kit, and what tools (and skills) you'll need.

That said, I did have one little problem building my Albatross. After I hinged the elevator to the stab, it seemed like the glue bent the stab into a crescent moon shape. I went to the hobby shop, and bought a very thin carbon rod (rectangular cross section). I embedded it in the stab to straighten it.
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:35 AM
Joined Jan 2013
157 Posts
I've built and enjoyed building multiple R/C car kits. I think it is just two fold. Even though I read the directions I assumed because it was a kit aimed at beginners there was less work involved than there is. And because it is my first plane the time it takes to build it is more agonizing when you can't just go fly something else in the mean time
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:48 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
996 Posts
Jaynen, Here is a couple picture of the horizonal stab with a flat carbon slat installed. The width measured at 4.48MM (so between 4 & 5 MM) and runs the complete width. I cut a Vee channel to insert and backfilled with medium weight CA. The trick is make sure the horzional stab is on a flat surface when gluing. Add condsiderable strength without a lot of weight.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:50 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
996 Posts
One other thing I did, hard to see pictures, is bevel the leading edges of the both the horizonal stab and vertical stab. Shoe Goo along the edges to toughen them up.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:16 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,920 Posts
Our planes are simple to build compared to most. Building is part of the hobby. It teaches you how to maintain and fix a broken plane. I have many people come to me with stories of how they have spent thousands of dollars on ready to fly planes and have wrecked them all and now don't own any flyable planes. This is what we try to avoid. I want you all flying and having a great time. I tell parents who are looking at for a plane for their son that if he is capable of building it he is old enough to fly it. If he can't build his plane he will need a pit crew to maintain his plane.

Our foam planes are relatively easy to build, especially with the solid fuselage. My first kits were balsa gliders that had hundred (s) of parts. Even the fuselage had 20 parts or so. I remember one glider (Goldberg Gentle Lady glider) I hadn't even flown and I hit the door frame on the way out of the house and folded the wing. All of the balsa sheeting and ribs in that area crushed so easy I couldn't believe it. I remember hitting a stiff thistle weed at another time and crushing a wing. Now we get reports from customers who are flying our EPP designs and have hit trees and the plane survives.

I build a plane or two a month. What started out taking me many hours now only takes me minutes because I know what needs to be done next and I have developed the technique that makes it go faster. My son built an Albatross wing and had the fuselage glued together and the goop glue on the hinge line in less than an hour. He still needs to install the radio glue on the tail, install the radio and put LEDs in the wing. It was his plane that I took the pictures of him drilling the fuselage to put the pod on it.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:05 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I remember one glider (Goldberg Gentle Lady glider) I hadn't even flown and I hit the door frame on the way out of the house and folded the wing. All of the balsa sheeting and ribs in that area crushed so easy I couldn't believe it.
Even with EPO planes I have to be careful bringing them out the house and putting them into the car. EPO doesn't crush or snap like balsa but it's so easy for it to get scratched and dented.

You only need to come out with a glider and a pusher jet so I can have a totally crash proof fleet!
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Last edited by gooby; Mar 02, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:49 PM
Joined Feb 2013
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
Lee, any chance you can throw together a "sport" wing for the pelican? We're thinking of trying to put ailerons on it.
Denial:

Did you go ahead with the ailerons on the pelican?

I'm thinking the same thing and would love to see some pictures of your build, or more information on where you plan to put the aileron servos.

Thanks

Charles
chardur is offline Find More Posts by chardur
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:11 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
996 Posts
Burned a motor up!

I burned a motor up today on my Storm Chaser #2. I built it about a year ago and had maybe thirty to thirty five flights on the motor. This was the first flight, with the exception of the maiden flight, where there wasn't any FPV gear on board. . Ironically I had just removed all my FPV gear and put it on my Grim Reaper. I had done a rebalance for the CG a wanted to do test flight (sounds like a lame excuse for a 37 degree day with 12 to 14 mph winds but that’s all I could think of to beg off a later supper.)
I climbed out at half throttle making tacking turns into the wind. It climbed nicely going up over a very large hill to the South of the flying field. I estimate I was probably about 500 yards out and about 400 yards high. The aircraft was clearly silhouetted against a white overcast sky. When to my surprise the nose dropped suddenly. I thought “oh crud what’s going on.” I quickly did controllability checks and found I had directional control but no throttle. I glided the SC back over the top of the field and did a slow circle, losing altitude all the while (did I mention it glides extremely well). My concern was I would lose all control and ah, well have a hard landing.
I got the aircraft down and started trouble shooting. All the controls worked—let’s try the motor again. I held the aircraft down and did a full throttle run. In less than two seconds smoke came pouring out of the motor. To say it was warm to touch was an understatement. It still smells burnt.
Now the caveat: it wasn’t one of the CTH recommend motors. The HK NTM motor I wanted was on backorder so I bought no name one off of e-bay. To think all the times I was flying FPV (this was my low level rig, 72 mHz Tx and 900 mHz vid) this was a sheer luck. I have already ordered two (replacement and a spare) HK NTM 35-30 1400Kv. Same one I have on SC #1 with will over a hundred flights and still going strong.