HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:28 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C6Silver View Post
Another question for the group. Where can one find replacement rubber grommets for the canopy? They don't come with new canopies (nor do new canopies come with correct sized holes...) The various places I go to for parts don't show these.

Thanks.
My canopies didn't come with them either. I can't remember if it was the 250 size heli or 450 size heli that I bought the grommets to use on my v400, but one of them worked. I think it was the 250, but like V999 said, I think they changed the canopy post holder sizes. I ended up replacing them cause I broke mine though.

Before I got the grommets I was just using electrical tape all folded up and duct taped to the inside with a hole poked through...
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:38 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2011
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
The canopies are supplied with grommets, or at least the 4 or 5 I've ordered have been, from various vendors.
450 grommets are OK if you have the old canopy posts, but If you have the recent posts I don't know. Perhaps 300 size grommets like used on the Hbfpv2.
Interesting. I have purchased several canopies over time and none has ever come with the grommets. Can I ask where you get your canopies from?
C6Silver is offline Find More Posts by C6Silver
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:33 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Rtf-heli has grommets that will work with the mounting posts on the v400. I'm not sure the 450 ones will work, maybe too big?
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:45 PM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Interesting. I have purchased several canopies over time and none has ever come with the grommets. Can I ask where you get your canopies from?
Yeah, sure.

I got my most recent couple from Miracle Mart.

I just had a look at my recent canopy from them, and this too comes supplied with grommets.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Last edited by V999D02; Nov 22, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Sep 2011
369 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, sure.

I got my most recent couple from Miracle Mart.

I just had a look at my recent canopy from them, and this too comes supplied with grommets.
It also looks to have appropriate hole sizes! Mine have come with very small holes that I had to bore out. This has been part of my issue with the grommets.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:56 AM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
It also looks to have appropriate hole sizes! Mine have come with very small holes that I had to bore out. This has been part of my issue with the grommets.
It sounds as if a couple of you are being supplied with the first version of canopies.
These canopies had small holes and were press fit onto the larger canopy posts.
They didn't use grommets and hence wouldn't come supplied with them.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:04 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segdohbird View Post
I'll check it out tnankx.
I have a miniCP coming that should be here in the next few days. I'll let you know what is like. Or just buy both.
BThirsk is online now Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:49 AM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I have a miniCP coming that should be here in the next few days. I'll let you know what is like. Or just buy both.
I got my mini cp couple weeks ago. Still playing around with getting it setup to my liking. It was a used brushless so it had a few issues. Going to need to order a few parts. Mainly new tail, the slightess numb and it detaches from the frame.
segdohbird is offline Find More Posts by segdohbird
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Sep 2011
369 Posts
Quote:
It sounds as if a couple of you are being supplied with the first version of canopies.
These canopies had small holes and were press fit onto the larger canopy posts.
They didn't use grommets and hence wouldn't come supplied with them.
Very interesting. I wonder why they went away from that as it seems better than grommets.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:36 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Quote:
Very interesting. I wonder why they went away from that as it seems better than grommets.
I've tried both, and I can say that grommets are better and will last longer. With the original push-on style, the canopy would get distorted around the holes, and then cracks would form over time.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Sep 2011
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
I've tried both, and I can say that grommets are better and will last longer. With the original push-on style, the canopy would get distorted around the holes, and then cracks would form over time.
I see said the blind man. Good stuff. I will have to look closer when next I buy a canopy. I didn't realize there were ever two different versions and so I assumed that they both didn't offer grommets and made life more difficult with incorrect sized holes!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:20 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
When I purchased my V400, nearly two years ago, the canopy had small holes that allowed the canopy to be forceably pushed onto the ends of metal shafts attached to the upper frame. This was reasonably secure once installed, but was a pain to remove without feeling like I was tearing up the canopy. If fact, I was tearing up the canopy and over time the effects became more and more noticealbe. I later picked up some rubber grommets from RTF-Heli, which seemed to fit comfortably into 3.7mm holes. On my original canopy, I just drilled out the holes. When I purchased a more recent replacement canopy, it already had the larger holes and came without any grommets whatsoever.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Mar 2012
174 Posts
So have this coming and so looking forward to seeing how this works out with a 450 kit with a tail servo using the RX V2614. Ill be making a youtube video on it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/V400D02-RX26...item53eee07ed7
rangerxp28 is offline Find More Posts by rangerxp28
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:43 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
some hovering

Got the super blue out,hovered around some, still cant turn the darn nose at me. As the heli falls left or right or backwards. Ill get it when i stop being scared to death of crashing
10 10 12 hover (4 min 7 sec)
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Last edited by fastfwd; Oct 10, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:31 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Dude, don't be too hard on yourself. You've come a long ways since you first posted your hover videos. I'm still building up the skills and nerves to hover nose-in. I would say be sure to have fun every time you fly--don't worry about progressing; otherwise if you start having expectations of yourself, you will become frustrated and unhappy with the hobby. Trust me, I have been in both places.