HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:51 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
324 Posts
Hi All:

How would the Wildcat be for an airleron trainer? I'm currently learning the ropes on a Parkzone Super Cub. I hope it won't be long and I'll be ready to move up to an airleron plane... and I just LOVE "warbirds", both WW1 and WW2.

Input?

Thanks.

Andre
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:22 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,480 Posts
I suppose my ONLY reservation in recommending this wonderful model to you as an aileron trainer is the fact that it's hand launched.

I guess if you practice hand launching with the SC, you might be alright. There's several folks on this thread who have started with the Wildcat, so I'm sure they'll chime in soon enough. Just DON'T launch at full throttle....55-65% is all she needs...and a FIRM, LEVEL toss.

I would also recommend/encourage you to bring along a friend who has experience with 4 channel models with you on your first few outings. Helps the little 'cat keep it's pristine looks a tad longer

Cheers and happy flying !
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:43 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
Hi All:

How would the Wildcat be for an airleron trainer? I'm currently learning the ropes on a Parkzone Super Cub. I hope it won't be long and I'll be ready to move up to an airleron plane... and I just LOVE "warbirds", both WW1 and WW2.

Input?

Thanks.

Andre
Not a good trainer. If you just want a warbird trainer get the T-28 or if you want really cool looking and easy, great flying, get the original PKZ F4U Corsair, not the new one. Very easy to fly at fast and slow speed. I also have the F4F and it's not hard but the other 2 I mentioned are easier to learn on.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:18 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by butaford View Post
Mine will try to take me up with it if I don't let go fast enough. Our weather here in SW Louisiana has been awesome this week, bluebird skies and no wind. I can't charge the lipos fast enough.
Good news!
Fine here in Up state NY too.
This time of year has the sun hanging low in the sky.
Not good at our local club.
The best field is closed for the hunting season.
Most of the places to fly have been hayed, but seem brushy this year.
Waiting for snow! Have fun while you can! Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:43 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
Not a good trainer. If you just want a warbird trainer get the T-28 or if you want really cool looking and easy, great flying, get the original PKZ F4U Corsair, not the new one. Very easy to fly at fast and slow speed. I also have the F4F and it's not hard but the other 2 I mentioned are easier to learn on.
The parkzone T-28 in the Navy colors may well be a better choice.
ROG lets you have both hands on the TX.
Wildcat is easy to hand launch. BUT it is hard to see!
Loss of orientation is never good.
You will need visual feed back to get the thumbs working.
Everyone I know who has the T-28 loves it.
I went Wildcat because it looked like a better belly lander and I thought it would
handle more wind. While I still do not have the pz, I do have an 800mm Airfield.
It flys great! Much less prone to tip stall and I can gly it farther out than a stock
Wildcat. For that matter I also have the um T-28 which is fantastic. except for the brushed motor.
I tried an E-flight L4 Grasshopper as an aileron trainer.
It is too nice to wreck so got a cheap 48" Super Cub.
a little expo helped.
Thing is the Wildcat (next) was far better!
The light wing loaded high wing units were blown around so much I spent a lot of time reacting to the plane (behind the curve) instead of telling it what to do!
The dihedral in the T-28 and Wildcat help.
I vote for the T-28 in red and white.
You will need a bit of up E applied to turn.
A sim helps.
Ha did not have sim back then.
Good luck! Chris
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:50 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hink64 View Post
Nope - built too strong..LOL

Now if you want to put a EF25 and looking to do a buck fitty on the flat - then you may want some extra sparage.
Gee, I tore the E control horn off with a power 10!
Beefing up that 'do not exceed speed' now! I am happy with 60, but love going
vertical or yanking out of stalls!
Were is the scale speed of sound!? Ha! Chris
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:07 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric5989 View Post
I crashed my wildcat. It was about 30 feet up, and I lost orientation, and basically flew it into the ground. nothing rally broke other then the plastic cowl and prop, so I thought. after replacing them and doing a good check over everything, I tried to fly it, and it basically no longer has enough power to fly.

Its hard to tell, if you just run it up, on the ground. but when i tried to take off, it basically just skipped down the field. This was at full throttle, with a full battery.

It hit pretty hard on the nose when I crashed. Do you think i should replace the motor? ESC? any other ideas? And If motor are there any cheaper replacements?
Wondering what is up with your power system.
An up grade wakes up Wildcat dramatically.
While I do not have a need for speed, get out of trouble power has saved down time.
Our Wildcat only comes with an 18amp esc! Strange the other birds come with bigger ones.
I suggest 30amps as a min. Make sure the bec will handle your servos.
Your stock analog units do not use much.
Try Heads Up Rc for reasonable prices and CHEAP fast shipping.
There are a few choices in the 480 class around 1000kv. Also high discharge bats that have been great.
Curious to see how you make out with your repairs.
motor turns freely? Lose magnit. Have another bat to try.
Prop backwards is all it takes. Good luck. Chris
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:13 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,008 Posts
Quote:
Hi All:

Input?

Thanks.

Andre
I disagree with some of the post here.
I have the Wildcat and the PZ T-28 and have flown the Corsair.
The Wildcat was my first warbird park flyer and it is a great aileron trainer. Very easy to fly plane and the hand launch is so simple.
Check out my maiden video. The first few seconds if my trimming it out a little.

PZ Wildcat Maiden.wmv (5 min 41 sec)
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:35 AM
Carthage, TX
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
I disagree with some of the post here.
I have the Wildcat and the PZ T-28 and have flown the Corsair.
The Wildcat was my first warbird park flyer and it is a great aileron trainer. Very easy to fly plane and the hand launch is so simple.
Check out my maiden video. The first few seconds if my trimming it out a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbTzijsQBPU
Yes, you could learn on the F4F just fine but I have all three of the above planes and the F4F requires a little more speed than the other two. Just saying the T-28 & F4U is a better warbird trainer for most who have never flown Ail's. They are all 3 great palnes!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:43 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,008 Posts
I find that my wildcat will float along better than my T-28. And the WIldcat was my first aileron warbird and it did a great job for me.
I did have a 36" 3D plane before my Wildcat, but it was not flown for 3D. I bought it because I knew it would float along and help train me on the ailerons
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:54 AM
Carthage, TX
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
I've been charging batteries all morning and thought I was about done but I guess I need to charge the F4F & P-51 batteries as well!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, OH, Rosemount
Joined Jul 2011
938 Posts
Quote:
Hi All:

Input?

Thanks.

Andre
LA Ming, Guys I'm 100% with sky Captain on this one, I too graduated from a hobbyzone super cub lp and my first ever aileron plane was the Parkzone Mustang gunfighter. Now after a couple years of flying the mustang and my F4F wildcat I would say Yes the wildcat is a very nice aileron plane to start with and what I should have bought in the first place when I first started out. Hand launches very easy, can smoothly land dead stick or come in a little hot, very stable and will fly pretty slow speeds without stalling.
If you do decide to purchase the wildcat, remember just keep it visably close and a tick under half throttle and a couple mistakes high and you will be just fine. The hardest thing you will have to accomplish is getting the bird trimmed out but once this is done your in the house IMO
JM66 is offline Find More Posts by JM66
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: German Luftwaffe pilots
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:45 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,480 Posts
+1

The Wildcat will definitely float with the best of them...which is not surprising given the amount of wing area the stubby little fighter has ! Being a belly lander, I suppose it makes landings a bit easier and as others have said, it can come in hot or cold; either way, just make sure you flare about 1' off the ground and she'll settle right in. Just remember to keep your wings level, kill the throttle at the last second and you'll be fine.

Otherwise, the same rules apply for the SC or the Wildcat in regards to landings: good approaches = good landings. Bad approaches = bad landings. Set up a good glide path, bring her in nice and straight, and flare right before touch-down. All of this can be practiced with the SC....that's how I got my start. Just add me to the looong list of folks who started with the SC, and went on from there.

For just all out fun and scale flying, ya gotta love the 'cat !
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:41 PM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
772 Posts
Nice Maiden Sky Captian,
I've had this plane for two years now, and it's still my go to plane. I learned to fly with this plane so it took a beating, and it lived up to the name Iron Works. The Cat still goes with me every time I fly ,it's the Ronco Roticery of warbirds "just set it and forget it" Like justwingit said a great scale flyer. I've been trying to go into a dive inverted and roll out which was what they did in dogfights to gain speed on Zeros. Glad your enjoying it.
mustangloyd is offline Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:06 PM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangloyd View Post
Nice Maiden Sky Captian,
I've had this plane for two years now, and it's still my go to plane. I learned to fly with this plane so it took a beating, and it lived up to the name Iron Works. The Cat still goes with me every time I fly ,it's the Ronco Roticery of warbirds "just set it and forget it" Like justwingit said a great scale flyer. I've been trying to go into a dive inverted and roll out which was what they did in dogfights to gain speed on Zeros. Glad your enjoying it.
Thanks, I'll have to try that maneuver. Sounds fun