HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2003, 04:27 PM
colorado
Joined Apr 2003
357 Posts
Finally- Maidened my Dandy Sport(after retiring estarter)

Finally,
after 2 weeks (three I think), I got to maiden my dandy sport.

My heart was pumping as I walked to the field. (last sat am) I have always had trouble with all my planes with excessive trimming. I was worried this one would be no different. So I decided to hand launch it on top of a tier to instantly give the plane 4 feet clearance to give me time to pull it up.

I full throttled (before that, I did a complete pre flight inspection!!! remember my estarter with inverted evelators???) and then gave it a toss and watched it ZOOM out of my hands!!

eps100a (yes, i used the smallest engine- not the eps300)
8 cell nimhs(aa) maxed out at 11 volts. heh heh.
pico bb servos, etc

1080 prop.

The plane got up straight to about 50 feet perfectly, and only one trim of the rudder!!! the ailerons required only 2-3 trims!!! i was in heaven!!! FINALLY, a perfect plane!

I grinned ear to ear as it responded to my commands INSTANTLY!!! I kept it really simple, still in shock that something that I "built" actually flew!!! I did loops, and one knife roll, losing a little alitude which i pulled up out of. A few birds came by to play with it, and I was flying with them!

The feeling was the greatest I ever felt. I finally "broke" my jinx of poor planes. (other than slowstick, but i had to do excessive work on it to get it to fly)

I flew for 8 lloonnggg minutes!!! then I realized I was in trouble- the battery was getting low.

I have NEVER landed an aileron plane before.

Did a smooth turn to land on the tier before me, and cut power- watched it float in- but realized it was coming in toooo fast. I was used to the estarter's sloooww gliding and especially the slowstick slow gliding in landing.

I realized this wouldnt be pretty- pulled up before it hit the ground at insane speed, did a turn with the rudder to make another flyby- but as I turned it (it was about 2-3 feet up in the air) the plane's wing dropped and (no ailerons applied- due to my inexperience) hit the ground.

it did a spectular cart wheel, parts flying everywhere.

Motor mount came out with motor, battery flew out the side of the fuslage(and was still attached),acting like a wrecking ball, taking out the fuselage side, then the bottom "door", and coming to rest on top of the fuselage..

My heart sank realizing that this would take MASSIVE repairs to get it back.

BUT i was so elated that I "really" DID fly the dandy sport!!! I was not "responding" to the plane, but FULLY in control.

LATER on, KonstantKrash showed up, and then showed me his brushless dandy sport. He got it up and let me fly it- I did some sharp knife edges, loops, and I think with my limited flying experience (probably 20+ hours by now) I impressed him.

I pulled out my ss and flew it, playing with konstantkrash's dandy sport.

it was GREAT morning, one I will never forget. It's too bad that the dandy sport (DUE TO MY INEXPERIENCE) will require a lot more repairs, but I can now truly say, I FLEW- not I responded.

Sigh...
Lance
wolfance is offline Find More Posts by wolfance
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2003, 04:44 PM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
Sorry to hear about the tragic landing. I know the feeling of a successful flight that negates even a crash landing. Hope you get it back together and up in the air.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Jun 16, 2003, 05:11 PM
wild in the park?
McDonough, GA
Joined Mar 2003
1,614 Posts
Good man Lance.
Don't let a little setback get you down.
I love my DS, and if I crash it today, I will turn right around and rebuild, or order another.
You are lucky that you have some other flyers to help you get some stick time.
Best wishes,
Bil
wherndon is offline Find More Posts by wherndon
Old Jun 16, 2003, 05:44 PM
New Providence, NJ
Joined Aug 2002
465 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear you had a rough landing, but at the same time glad to hear you flew it well! I have yet to learn 'crash repair' on the switchback... but I'm sure that will happen one day (probably as I try to teach myself aerobatics). As you have probably learned... you need some power to make a landing. With my Switchback, I usually make my approach with an even rate of descent and cut the throttle gradually as I near closer to the ground. 'Feathering' the up elevator just a bit here and there keeps it from dropping too quick. As soon as the wheels touch the ground, I cut the power and let it roll to a stop. (Heh, since I can be lazy, I practice my taxi skills and bring the plane back to me). Hopefully you'll have your Dandy rebuilt quickly and be airborn again.

James
james1787 is offline Find More Posts by james1787
Old Jun 16, 2003, 05:48 PM
colorado
Joined Apr 2003
357 Posts
Yeah, I tried cutting power a good 10-15' away before the "landdown" hoping it would slow down a bit. It still came in a little too fast for my tastes.

After I saw konstantkrash land his dandysport a few times, I was like, "man- I SHOULD have gone for it the first time instead of pulling up to try to redo the approach".

He just landed it, and it bounced but then stopped. I was visualizing the landing to be more like a slowstick. Shows how much I really know, eh?

BTW, i sold the townhouse, so we will be packing, cleaning up, etc. I move out in a month. This means it will take a miracle to get the time to do massive repairs on the dandysport. I still got the slowstick to fly so I'll still get my "fix".

Lance

Tips: Fly in a no wind day for the rookies. it was a big plus!! i really enjoyed this plane throughout!!!
Second tip... land in weeds. I should have done this. Didnt think of that.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 06:03 PM
Round Rock, TX
Joined Apr 2003
150 Posts
I'm glad you like the plane. It makes me sad though that you did not get to fly it more than once. Since I didn't have anyone available to teach me how to fly, I decided to do fast landings. So, I started with fast landings to make sure it did not stall anything and I've been gradually slowing stuff down. The only problem with my approach is that I have to re-tune my landing gear after fast landings in long grass.

Repair it and fly some more!

Dale
mitchydkid is offline Find More Posts by mitchydkid
Old Jun 16, 2003, 06:24 PM
colorado
Joined Apr 2003
357 Posts
Just in case I might be enlightened- when you say fast landings, do you mean you fly in with the motor running and then cut power the mintue you touch down and skid to a stop?
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:41 PM
New Providence, NJ
Joined Aug 2002
465 Posts
I don't think I would reccommend that... coming in at full power and then cutting it at the last second. I believe it is better to slow the plane down as much as you can, and then slowly bring the power down as you are a foot or so off the ground, keeping the plane level. I usually finally cut the power just as it touches the ground. I would think keeping full power as you land gives alot more room for the plane to get damaged if it doesn't hit right, not to mention the landing gear may not hold up. If you think about it, a jet airliner does not come in at full power, they slow the plane down and reverse the motor when they land it. When you were landing the Dandy, did you have full power when you were 10-15' away and cut it? Or was it throttled back? If it was full power, you may have come in too fast. If you cut it completely, it may have stalled... so perhaps gradually cutting it and slowing the plane down as you make the approach and cutting it altogether when you touch the ground would do the trick. I normally like to find out how slow I can fly the plane as a point of reference, a 'few mistakes' high, of course. I hope you get that dandy back in the air soon!

James
james1787 is offline Find More Posts by james1787
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:48 PM
colorado
Joined Apr 2003
357 Posts
james,

I tried to land it like I do my slowstick. That should say a lot.

I cut power about 20' away, and about 10' high, and eased it down to about 3' with no power by using the evelator to keep the nose up, but it still came in too fast for my tastes (Which surprised me since this was an eps 100a)

My biggest mistake was trying to turn it around at 3' high instead of aborting the landing and apply power to get it up again to try another clean approach.

Now that I know, after watching KonstantKrash land his a few times, that what I had the FIRST time was just perfect. Granted, it might have comen in a little fast, but the angle was perfect. I was just second guessing myself.

Live and learn, I guess. But now repair time- and I'm packing to move to another place in 4 weeks so I might have to "wait" on this.

lance
Wish I could have videotaped the landing, it was truly spectular seeing the battery flopping through the fuselage side like a wrecking ball. Even the prop wasnt broken- go figure.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 12:14 AM
Lurker
Longmont, Colorado
Joined Nov 2000
493 Posts
Wolfance is a fine pilot. He just needs more flights. The Dandy, and most planes, come in a little hotter than the slowstick.

Lance,

When you land, always try to set up the same pattern. Ease off on the power so she starts to lose altitude but she is still flying. Becareful not to bring your nose up to high or you will stall it. BTW, I'm sure that is what happened with yours.

Bring it in from a longer distance compared to the SS. If your plane is in good trim then your throttle equals altitude. Too high...little less throttle. Too low...little more throttle. Don't over control it and whatever you do don't try and stretch a landing by trying to bring the nose up.

One more point, don't wait until you don't have any more battery. If you do then you have to land no matter what. Land with some reserve just in case something happens.

Keep up the good work and good flying!

KK
KonstantKrash is offline Find More Posts by KonstantKrash
Old Jun 17, 2003, 11:27 AM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
Even if you run the battery out, if you throttle back all the way, wait 5-10 seconds, then apply throttle again you can usually get a bit more out of the battery pack as it recovers some voltage. This is the emergency power you need if your landing is not setting up well.

Try practicing flying the Dandy Sport about 4 feet off the ground at half throttle, then SLOWLY reducing throttle to the point where you just start to lose altitude. At this point you should be able to fly the plane to touch down without reducing throttle or making much of an adjustment on the elevator. You can cut the throttle just as you touch down.

I'm surprised there was so much damage to your plane. I've dorked my Dandy straight down from 20 feet and had less damage than that. You must have had a lot of speed.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Jun 17, 2003, 11:57 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,534 Posts
Lance,
I am no means an expert, but I will share my thoughts with you. Most can fly a plane at 100 ft off the ground and anyone with decent eyesight can fly one at 200 ft off the ground. You really start to have doubts at below 15 feet. My first few flights with a new plane, I barely get off the ground and unless there are serious trim problems, I immediately try to land it. Usually all in a straight line from behind. You can get a real sense of the sinking rate and if worse comes to worse, you kill the motor and glide it as best you can. It is hard to do too much damage at a slow speed from 3 or 4 feet. Your case may be the exception. Back to my thought. For the first 5 months back into this hobby, I bet I have landed at least once for every two minutes of flying. I do enjoy rolls and loops and inverted flight, but all that is naught if it does get back where it came from.

The other reason I practice landing so much is that I always choked on the 8 ball in pool. I'm just nervous at flying something I put so much time into. I want to get over the shakes before I do anything daring with it. So if I get the landings out of the way, then I can enjoy flying it.

Sorry your Dandy was damaged, but I don't think there is any of us that hasn't experience what you did. You never learn from the things you do right, only from those on which you need to improve.

Last thought, I usually make my final approach from about 80-120 feet out at a height of between 8-12 feet. I try to come in with a little power and as I approach touchdown, I cut the power and let the plane settle in, not giving much up elevator untill the wheels have touched and then not enough to let it take off again.

Peace,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Jun 17, 2003, 07:50 PM
colorado
Joined Apr 2003
357 Posts
konstantkrash,
thanks for the compliment. I've studied a lot to get to where I am.(growing up with flight simulators seems to have helped.)

I looked at my dandy sport (my first real look) and noticed one thing interesting about this....
(I love foresnics!!!)

I now know exactly what caused the plane to splinter like it did. It was not the battery.

When I landed it (on the side), it hit the wing as excepted, BUT THEN it hit the side of the landing gear!!! This in turn TWISTED the plane, shattering one side of it, displacing the motor mount and the battery mount. Then the battery came out.

I am able to "demostrate" after putting three pieces back on it how this happened (react) so now i know. DO NOT land on the sideof the landing gear!!!

If you want to see what I mean, take your fuselage and hold it. Take the landing gear and "twist" it. You will see the fuselage "strain" to the direction you are twisting it. This is what/where it broke.

Lance
Old Jun 17, 2003, 10:48 PM
Round Rock, TX
Joined Apr 2003
150 Posts
Sorry it took so long to get back to ya.
What I do for landing speed is this. I bring her around at half throttle and line up with my imaginary runway. I am about 25 feet up at this point. I cut the throttle entirely, because if I do not, the DS simply drops too slowly. Now this is the part that takes a little bit of nerves. I keep the nose pitched down, but not too much. Keeping it pitched down helps you keep your airspeed. When the plane is aabout 20 inches above ground, I start my flair, but it does not go into full flare (sp) until about 12 inches. I think the plane goes into ground effect at this point, becauese it maintans altitude for about 5 feet and then settles down nice and soft.

Hope that helps,
Dale
Old Jun 17, 2003, 10:59 PM
Round Rock, TX
Joined Apr 2003
150 Posts
Ok,
I wanted to add some info, as I really have come to like watching the way I land. I am not bragging. I know I have alot to learn, but landing the Dandy Sport the way I do is fun to watch in my opinion.

So I almost always land from left to right. I fly the plane at 150' or so down the back side of the soccer field from right to left. I then make a two bank turn, one bank at each corner of the field. The first corner/bank, I use plenty of elevator to keep altitude. The second corner/bank is the setup for landing. With this one I use the bank to set my approach altitude. When you bank the DS without any up elevator, she drops pretty fast. So I start the bank with vitually no up and when it drops to the altitude I like I dial in some up to stop the decent. A few times at this and it gets to look real smooth. From this point on I just cut throttle and glide her in with the nose just a little down and do the flair routine in my post above. Even though I am pretty new to this, the Dandy Sport has made these landings look so good that my lack of skill is nicely masked.

Dale