Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 02, 2010, 06:16 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Discussion
Charge Nimh receiver pack with Nicad charger?

Can you charge a 4.8 V Nimh receiver pack with the charger that comes with a Futaba radio that is designed for Nicads? If so, does it decrease the life of the batteries or is it OK.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2010, 06:47 AM
Brillion,WI 54110
Joined Jul 2009
593 Posts
I want to say that you can....chargers don't care if its a Nimh or Nicad. A charger that I have says its for Nimh or Nicad, so I assumed it would be the same for other chargers. I charged my Nimh receiver packs on my Futaba and Airtronics chargers. They took a while longer since my capacity was greater, but they did charge right up.
planebldr is offline Find More Posts by planebldr
Old Apr 02, 2010, 08:21 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,249 Posts
That will work fine. The only time you have to worry about the difference between NiCd and NiMH batteries is with fast charging. There is no practical difference at all for standard overnight chargers like you describe.

The only other thing is as already said is you will need to work out how long to leave it on charge if your NiMH pack is bigger capacity than the standard 600mAh pack the charger was probably intended for.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Apr 04, 2010, 07:20 AM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
I know the millivots at full charge for nimh (5 per cell) are different than nicad (not sure) which chargers can use among other things to determine when to "stop" charging. My charger says sit will charge, nicad, nimh and lipo but it determines the chemistry on its own and then institutes the parameters needed for a proper charge. So in the long run you may be doing damage to your batteries but I think it will be minimal. NIMH and NICAD are much more similar in chemistry than say Lipo or LI-ON.
Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Apr 04, 2010, 12:59 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
My charger says sit will charge, nicad, nimh and lipo but it determines the chemistry on its own and then institutes the parameters needed for a proper charge.
What charger is that ? It must be seriously clever. In many years working with batteries I've never heard of any practical way to tell a NiMH cell from a NiCd cell without testing them pretty much to destruction.

BTW the millivolts you're talking about are only used by delta peak FAST chargers to detect end of charge. Overnight/slow chargers like those we were discussing don't use end of charge detection.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:48 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
What charger is that ? It must be seriously clever. In many years working with batteries I've never heard of any practical way to tell a NiMH cell from a NiCd cell without testing them pretty much to destruction.

BTW the millivolts you're talking about are only used by delta peak FAST chargers to detect end of charge. Overnight/slow chargers like those we were discussing don't use end of charge detection.

Steve
ahhh correct on the mv... and yes.. i do have to set the millivolts or mah capacity that I want for the nicd or nimh.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin