Old May 20, 2015, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by PC-6
Canada, BC, Prince Rupert
Joined Feb 2010
29 Posts
Discussion
Hinging flaps and ailerons

Hi Folks
I have recently acquired a falcon 880. The wings are covered in monokote and are in meed of recovering, the flaps and ailerons are hinged with tape and film. I intend on stripping and then fiberglassing the wings and then paint. My question is how is the hinging done on most of the high performance glass ships built today? Are they using traditional hinges or some sort of tape hinge? I am looking for a secure method that will give the cleanest look and aerodynamic cleanliness.

Thanks to all for their input.
Leif
PC-6 is offline Find More Posts by PC-6
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2015, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by slopemeno
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
7,113 Posts
Ever tried silicone hinges? It's a pretty simple process once you've done one or two. Here's a link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2212308
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old May 20, 2015, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by PC-6
Joined Feb 2010
29 Posts
I think that sounds like a good idea. Are there any tutorial videos that you know of. I searched u tube and found nothing other than sealing a gap with traditional hinges. The thread link you listed gave the idea but failed to give any step by step instructions.
Old May 20, 2015, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by slopemeno
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
7,113 Posts
Here you go:

Silicone Hinge Demonstration (8 min 19 sec)

http://www.rc-soar.com/tech/silicone.htm
http://www.slopeflyer.com/artman/pub...rticle_5.shtml
http://www.southernsoaringclub.org.z...conehinge.html
http://www.howe2wash.co.uk/SMSA/howsilicon.html

Some things you should know:

Always use tan masking tape- the blue doesn't seem to work
Always use pure silicone or aquarium silicone- never Silicone II.
Don't use Goop unless you know exactly what you're doing. It's solvent will eat a wing core like it's not even there.
You're shooting for a small 1/32nd" web of silicone between the sub-TE and the control surface- too much silicone is counter productive.
If it all goes sideways don't sweat it- cut the surface free, scrape the old silicone off, and try again. I've redone them many times.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old May 20, 2015, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by PC-6
Joined Feb 2010
29 Posts
That is great info and a great demonstration video, just what I needed. Thank you very much.
Old May 22, 2015, 03:00 AM
Find More Posts by Avaldes
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,686 Posts
PC, why do you want to fiberglass the wings on your Falcon? That model flies much better at lower weight. I would not put the effort into that modification as you will not add any structural performance to the plane and you will absolutely make it heavier.

The Falcon 880 was designed with tape hinges. They are simple and they just plain work. The bevels on the wing aren't really setup to receive silicone hinges like molded wings.

Of course this is just my opinion, but I used to fly a lot of Falcons back in the day. They are wonderful airplanes, truly a benchmark design.
Avaldes is online now Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old May 22, 2015, 03:45 AM
Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
dare to thermal
Mannheim, Germany
Joined May 2004
712 Posts
If you recover it with moncote you can use silicone hinges as well. Ive done it many times. Much better than any kind of tape hinge.
http://www.swiss-composite.ch/pdf/A-...scharniere.pdf page5
Bernd Brunner is offline Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
Old May 22, 2015, 12:44 PM
Find More Posts by kukailimoku
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Aug 2014
53 Posts
Wow, this is fascinating stuff (and the first I've ever heard of it. Would it work on your basic Ultrakoted woodie, assuming that the covering on the hinge surfaces extended far enough from them to afford a good solid base for the silicon?
kukailimoku is offline Find More Posts by kukailimoku
Old May 22, 2015, 04:28 PM
Find More Posts by PC-6
Joined Feb 2010
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaldes View Post
PC, why do you want to fiberglass the wings on your Falcon? That model flies much better at lower weight. I would not put the effort into that modification as you will not add any structural performance to the plane and you will absolutely make it heavier.

The Falcon 880 was designed with tape hinges. They are simple and they just plain work. The bevels on the wing aren't really setup to receive silicone hinges like molded wings.

Of course this is just my opinion, but I used to fly a lot of Falcons back in the day. They are wonderful airplanes, truly a benchmark design.
Thanks for the input. I have read in a number of places of guys glassing the wings and none of them mentioned the performance was an issue with the extra weight. My reasoning behind glassing the wings was a more durable surface as well as the ability to put a nice paint scheme on it, (I like airbrushing)
I will definitely give it some more thought.