HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:54 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,656 Posts
Quote:
If level the worst is you just land it and try again.
Mine has been know to touch (not hit!) the ground after a less than perfect hand launch, keep accelerating and then take off from the ground. It depends on whether it hits a tussock of grass which spins it or not. The bottom of mine is covered with very slippery (and protective) covering film.
richard9999 is online now Find More Posts by richard9999
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:12 AM
Joined Sep 2010
48 Posts
I actually placed my ESC on top of the canopy area (well, just behind it on the foam) as I wanted to ensure for the first few flights, it wouldn't get too hot. I've flown AXN's with the ESC on top quite a few times when I planned to beat the hell out of the motor and it was great because I never had to worry about the ESC's temperature.

But as it was a bit further rearward than usual (and it's not a particularly light ESC) I reckon it all increased the chance of the c of g tiptoeing rearwards. It certainly flew like a plane with a too- aft c of g.

By the way, I had a mate connect his watt meter up to my AXN and at full throttle, it was pulling 45 AMPS.

This sort of went over my head until my mate calculated I'd only get about 2 1/2 minutes of flight with a 2200mAh 35C lipo if going at flat chat. THAT certainly got my attention.
trefor is offline Find More Posts by trefor
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:18 AM
Joined Sep 2010
48 Posts
I meant to say, I have always hand launched planes. However I still remember my first ever slope soaring flight (over 35 years ago) when I gave my glider a heavy throw into a strong wind. I'd read up a book on slope soaring and thought I was ready for what would happen next but the glider went up like a rocket. I was very fortunate to shove some down elevator in just in time.

But as we all know, with the AXN, the initial 'dive' when you open the throttle can be quite surprising.

By the way hendrk- I angled my motor down a few degrees so it's pointing ever so slightly towards the bottom of the tailplane. What sort of angle did you go for?
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:31 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,049 Posts
I have the standard motor and my 40amp ESC in the same place as yours and body servos back further than normal so I have to put on 4 big heavy washers on the nose until I pit the FPV gear on again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trefor View Post
I actually placed my ESC on top of the canopy area (well, just behind it on the foam) as I wanted to ensure for the first few flights, it wouldn't get too hot. I've flown AXN's with the ESC on top quite a few times when I planned to beat the hell out of the motor and it was great because I never had to worry about the ESC's temperature.

But as it was a bit further rearward than usual (and it's not a particularly light ESC) I reckon it all increased the chance of the c of g tiptoeing rearwards. It certainly flew like a plane with a too- aft c of g.

By the way, I had a mate connect his watt meter up to my AXN and at full throttle, it was pulling 45 AMPS.

This sort of went over my head until my mate calculated I'd only get about 2 1/2 minutes of flight with a 2200mAh 35C lipo if going at flat chat. THAT certainly got my attention.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:07 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,050 Posts
i cut a hatch finally
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:33 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,049 Posts
Have you worked out how you are attaching or packing in the electronic equipment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
i cut a hatch finally
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:20 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Have you worked out how you are attaching or packing in the electronic equipment?
not sure still need to decide the placement
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:39 PM
Always a noob
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
not sure with the props selection but I'm using 6x4 already have a little space left to the boom, most probably the you can't use 8" or 9" props on axn unless you did some modification on the motor mount

I'll go for 2200kv from rctimer or the turnigy 2200kv for power need bigger esc (40A) but it will be power hungry
Those prop sizes are just part of the motor's specs, not what I'm planning to use. I just wanted to know if the Hawk Sky motor is better than the stock CF motor, since I have one handy and it's a straight replacement.
irodrigo is offline Find More Posts by irodrigo
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:24 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,189 Posts
First Flight

First flight for me with an airplane. What a blast !
I build this AXN with my little brother to introduce him to the hobby. He is really interested now and pretty helpful. We got to a huge grass flied free of trees, ready to learn and perhaps buddybox my novice brother to share the experience.

I really underestimated how hard it is to fly a plane. After 3 years of heli piloting in all orientations I was pretty confident this should be a walk in the park. How wrong i was.

After a crash dinging the nose a bit, setting control surfaces to a more reasonable throw i got a little more comfortable and the landing after 20 minutes was smooth and soft. I did loop it several times
Needless to say i left the buddybox for another day.

I have several questions... The rudder to roll effect is off the chart. if i want to take a turn with rudder only i have to counter the inward roll really hard with ailerons to keep the plane from knifeedging and plummeting down.

What is up with the over sensitive rudder? Did i just set way to much throw on it or is something else wrong (cog perhaps?)

Aileron travel is maxed out to not bind the servo, also middle hole. It feels slightly ineffective, but was expecting this. I can always mix in some rudder later on.

After trimming in level flight, my rudder is quite a bit off to the right. None of the wings or motor looks crooked. Anything i should check or just fly with it?
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:27 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,254 Posts
Anyone has info on the TGS 5X5 prop? i think i have a couple arround.. but with the TGS from HK you never know what it really is... as many of you know the 6X4E its really a 6X5 or near..and the 6X5E its a 6X4..

In thinking in trying again a 5X5 to see if i can a bit more speed in wot passes... theory says that if i get X speed with a 6X5 a 5x5 should be a bit faster? (tought less aceleration) ..or will the greater thrust of the 6X play a more diferencing role...
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:43 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post

I have several questions... The rudder to roll effect is off the chart. if i want to take a turn with rudder only i have to counter the inward roll really hard with ailerons to keep the plane from knifeedging and plummeting down.

What is up with the over sensitive rudder? Did i just set way to much throw on it or is something else wrong (cog perhaps?)
Nop... thats normal.. wellcome to the wonderfull worlf of dihedral planes .. the dihedral (in the CF the curve up wintips) makes that when you apply rudder the outer wing gets quite more lift than the inner one and it raises and oposite effect to the inner one.. think that theese planes come from the EastStar wich had no ailerons and was able to fly without ailerons , same as the WildHawk and the CloudsFly , HawkSky, Bixler/skysurfer, Rookie ..and all this family of planes all can be flown without ailerons.. i have a big 2m glider (wich is a FPV plane now) wich has polidihedral (double dihedral angles) and it has no ailerons and you dont need them either..it rolls with rudder only..

To counter you have to apply oposite aileronsto level off the wings...

Quote:
Aileron travel is maxed out to not bind the servo, also middle hole. It feels slightly ineffective, but was expecting this. I can always mix in some rudder later on.
Also normal... the CloudsFly is not known for its overly effective ailerons.. even maxed out it will not be much aerobatic, but enought for flying arround... and if you use both ailerons and rudder it can snaproll like crazy

Quote:
After trimming in level flight, my rudder is quite a bit off to the right. None of the wings or motor looks crooked. Anything i should check or just fly with it?
Did you trimmed because it was rolling ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:10 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post

Did you trimmed because it was rolling ?
No, just to keep in flying in a straight line at 1/3 throttle. I might have overdone it ,as i also notice little aileron trim to counter the rudder.
Come to think of it it was a little windy up there. might have thrown stuff off slightly.

Good to hear it will roll like mad when set up properly. love to do a bit of aerobatics soon

6X4 prop is on now. hope to get more flights off tomorrow.
I liked my "flapperons" setting i made on the 3-position switch of my Tx. Made the landing really slow Feels like cheating.
Flying around with a little flapperon was not bad at all. the plane flew a bit more relaxed.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
If you get yourself a watt meter and hook it up to the 4S with the plane on the bench just run it up static for 2 or 3 seconds ... check the amps if the speedie will handle it then go for it!
Are you saying No one has done this before? this thread is three years old, i find it hard to believe no one has already tried using stock motor on 4s...my 60 amp esc can easily handle 4s .i use the same esc in my vampire using 4s...i just want to know if motor will handle the extra volts and rpms without blowing appart...also not sure the mount will hold the motor...Just thought for sure someone here already tried this simple 4s battery mod...I do not own a watt meter...thx UPDATE! Just tried 4s and the power was off the charts i held full throttle for 5 seconds then the motor cut out...motor was not hot,,,but now when i hook up my 3s all i get is beep beep-----beep beep ----beep beep etc.... all servos work fine...i think motor was destroyed...so kids don't try this at home..3s is all the stock motor can handle and frankly the performance on 3s is very good...this was a stupid thing to try....But at least i did'nt crash
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Last edited by hate2crash; Sep 07, 2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:01 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
Are you saying No one has done this before? this thread is three years old, i find it hard to believe no one has already tried using stock motor on 4s...
roovexer in his video about the wingtips mod says he uses stock motor and 4S battery.. seems to work fine and he says he only swaped the ESC for a Turnigy 30A
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:51 AM
Joined Sep 2010
48 Posts
I've heard somewhere that the 'stock' motor that comes with recent versions of the AXN are different to 'stock' motors that came with this plane a year or so ago. So I'm wondering if that could be why one motor went to r/c heaven whilst roovexer's lived long after?