HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2006, 01:46 AM
C17 Instructor
Yorkshire, England
Joined May 2004
211 Posts
Build Log
1/4 Scale Bleriot XIb

After much deliberating between Lysander and DH60 I have settled on building a ľ scale 103" span Bleriot XIb from the DB Sport & Scale plan pack.

I contacted DB Sport & Scale and a week later the Plan Pack arrived. Complete with a newly laser cut set of Ribs, see picture of root ribs below. Note the ribs are 22" long. This model used to be supplied as a kit and as such a few things are not identified on the plan or in the supplied kit building instructions, but with a little experience its not hard to work out whatís needed.

This is not a build for the inexperienced or someone who is not able to manufacture rigging or metal suspension type u/c with shock absorbers.

As I've said before, I'm in the RAF and live away during the week at the unit to which I'm posted. I help run the RAFMAA club there and also build there. So updates to this log will be at weekends when I'm home.

As to why the build is in the Electric Scale area, the plan originally has the Bleriot powered by a .90 2-stroke or a 1.20 4-stroke. I'm re-powering the Bleriot with an AXI 5330/24 with probably 28 cells turning approx a 22"x10" prop. I realise it will be over powered a little, probably a lot, but it will allow me to turn a large prop at a slow speed. Should be nice for those late summer evening flights.

Iím trying to source all the wood at the minute and am having trouble with the spruce as its not a size that is stocked at the local model shop. So Iíve e-mail a full size aircraft spruce suppliers in the hope they donít mind supplying a small order as they list the sizes I need for the fuselage and the spars.

Paul
(AKA Veri-Gash)
Veri-Gash is offline Find More Posts by Veri-Gash
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2006, 05:14 AM
C17 Instructor
Yorkshire, England
Joined May 2004
211 Posts
Build Log - 1/4 Scale Bleriot XIb

7 Oct 2006

Cut the 0.8mm ply strips and formed the laminated outer part of the rudder earlier this week (thatís 5 layers of 0.8mm ply). Then after it was set took it off the board and cleaned it up. Then made the framework part of the rudder and glued on the outer part. See photos attached.

Still awaiting a response from Aircraft Spruce & Speciality Co regarding the spruce I need but I spoke to them last week and it sounded promising.

I will put the info in this build log if they can help and hopefully the price will be good.

I always like it once Iíve started building a model as I know a little work here and there will result in a flying machine.

Anyhow should finish the rudder next week and make a start on the tailplane.

Paul
(AKA Veri-Gash)
Last edited by Veri-Gash; Oct 07, 2006 at 05:23 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 04:37 PM
C17 Instructor
Yorkshire, England
Joined May 2004
211 Posts

13 Oct 2006

This week I finished of the rudder and started the tailplane. See photos below.

Am still waiting for the aircraft spruce rep in UK to get back to me with a quote. I chatted to them midweek and they reckon delivery is only a week or so. Will wait for the quote.

Ordered the Mick Reeves ľ scale Le Rhone Rotary engine Wednesday and it turned up Friday. See photos below.

Should look nice in the front of the Bleriot.

Anyhow more next week.

Paul
(AKA Veri-Gash)
Last edited by Veri-Gash; Oct 13, 2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 05:07 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
This is going to be a monster Paul

Should be impressive in the air!

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Oct 13, 2006, 05:47 PM
C17 Instructor
Yorkshire, England
Joined May 2004
211 Posts

Thanks Pat

If you follow the link below theres some photos of one another dbsportandscale customer did to the same plan. Though its has got and I/C engine in it.

www.dbsportandscale.com/bleriot_photos.htm

Also check out this French Memorial Flight website.

http://storage.mfa.free.fr/BleriotXIuk.html

Paul
(AKA Veri-Gash)
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:17 AM
C17 Instructor
Yorkshire, England
Joined May 2004
211 Posts

29th October 2006

This week saw the finishing off of the tailplane and elevator structure. (see pictures)

On the spruce front, I still havenít heard from Aircraft Spruce, so as I work at RAF Marham which is about 20 miles from SLEC Uk (which used to be Precedent) I took a drive down there on Tuesday to see what could be done.

Once their I spoke to a very helpful guy called Barry, he had a very nice piece of Douglas Fir which had the length to do the fuselage longerons in one piece. Unfortunately the grain looked a little wild but he said heíd try it.

So I gave him the list of what I needed and asked if it could be ready for Friday. Answer, no problem.

Went down Friday to collect, to say the Douglas Fir grain was wild was an understatement, no strength at all, ah but the colour. As requested, because the Douglas Fir was unsuitable he had cut me everything in lovely Sitka spruce all to the sizes I needed and 4 feet long (see pictures). The plan calls for scarf jointing 4 foot lengths so no problem.

All this for the enormous sum of £40, a bargain.

So, building the fuselage can commence this week. Every little bit helps.

For the of you are wandering what a RAF model club looks like Iíve included some pictures of the building and storage areas.

Weíve also got a test site for the RAF Marham Model Aircraft Club, with loads of pictures up and running at test.paulluby.com

Enjoy till next week.

Paul
(AKA Veri-Gash)
Last edited by Veri-Gash; Nov 04, 2006 at 03:47 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:29 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
I see a Flair Hannibal wing and fuselage in those photo's, Our club president gave me his old wrecked one, which was mostly the wing and some tail bits. It's a nice model but it's heavy. I've been trying to figure out if a sp 700 2.8 ratio belt drive would fly it, if I could keep the auw down to about 8 pounds.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Oct 29, 2006, 04:27 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,147 Posts
Veri-Gash,

Do you intend to use wing warping? If so, consider what I found out recently (I posted it just now in a Peter Rake thread):

"Regarding wing warping, I think Andy Sephton, pilot for the Shuttleworth Collection, said that he doesn't use the wing warping on the Collection's Bleriot XI, but uses the rudder, depending on the wing dihedral to bank the aircraft. (This from a recent issue of either Fly Past or Aeroplane.) Hey! Haven't modelers been doing this for decades?"

What do you think?

Jim R
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:20 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,733 Posts
Scariole Bleriots!

I've been fascinated with the Bleriots too. Just watched a PBS TV program on a descendant of Bleriot attempting to fly his re-creation of the channel crosser, (he winds up in a cow pond, wetter but wiser). I have also read about a US airline pilot's adventures flying his 40mph Bleriot, not exactly a joy to fly with it's narrow takeoff/flight/landing envelope and fair weather preferences. Would like to know more about how a scale electric powered model Bleriot, using wing warping or rudder/elevator only actually performs and whether it is "practical" in terms of controllability and longevity.Good luck with this project.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 05, 2006, 10:29 AM
C17 Instructor
Yorkshire, England
Joined May 2004
211 Posts

5 November 2006

This week saw the laying down and completion of one of the fuselage sides. Boy this is one big model as you can see from the photos. Next week should see the other side done then the ritual joining of the two the week after.

Looooeee,

The model in the background you mentioned is a Flair Magnatilla (60 Inch Span). Its powered by an Axi 4120/14 running on 14 GP3300 cells. Itís a little overpowered but I can always throttle back. It weighs around 6.5 lb and it looks lovely if its flown as the sun goes down with the sun showing through its antique solartex.

Jim R,

DB Sport And Scale have designed the model to fly on Rudder, Elevator & Throttle control. I pretty sure Iíve convinced myself mines going to have wing warping, Iíd rather have it and not have to use it than not have it and need it.

I saw the article you mentioned, it mentioned adverse yaw. Iíve flown large model gliders before where this was an issue and as you probably have, you learn to work round the problem, hopefully.

E-Challenged,

Iíd also like to know how an electric powered 103 inch Bleriot flies and if it is practical. Guess Iíll find out.

I do tend to like older model aircraft, WWI type models and such. Building a model aircraft from the early periods involves the use of the same sort techniques that early aircraft designers/builders used. As such you get a feel for how flimsy these early machines were.

Iím an aircraft engineer in the Royal Air Force and whilst not to belittle what modern aircrew have to contend with I find it amazing that early aircrew not only flew these pieces of wood and string but they managed to fight in them as well.

Very brave individuals, who I imagine had a great sense of adventure.

Anyhow, enough for this week.

Paul
(AKA Veri-Gash)
Old Nov 05, 2006, 03:49 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,147 Posts
Veri-Gash,

Good on you, and the best good fortune in this endeavor. I'm particularly interested, because I have an old Royal kit of about 48" span that I might build this winter. It won't have wing-warping, however.

Do keep us all posted on your building progress, and do give us all the details on flying performance.

An observation about Louis B's work: It seems that the Model XI was the first truly successful Bleriot, the predecessors having been pretty much stumbles in the dark, given the state of the art of aeronautical engineering of the era.

Jim R
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:19 AM
C17 Instructor
Yorkshire, England
Joined May 2004
211 Posts
1/4 Scale Bleriot XIb

12 Nov 2006

I got the 2nd fuselage side finished last week. See photos below. Hopefully should get the fuselage formers done and maybe start joining the sides this week.

Thatís all for this week.

Paul
(AKA Veri-Gash)
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:22 PM
C17 Instructor
Yorkshire, England
Joined May 2004
211 Posts
1/4 Scale DB Bleriot

Hi All

Got the formers cut, the wing joiners put in place and all the angles sorted the week before last, then this last week I glued the wing tubes and the first 4 formers in place, joining the fuselage. See Photo.

As you can see all Iíve done to mount the AXI is put an extra ľĒ former in place and I will radially mount it.

Thatís all for this week. Hopefully Iíll get a little more done next week but as I'm posted next Friday the build might be put on hold for a couple of weeks.

Paul
(AKA Veri-Gash)
Old Dec 03, 2006, 08:18 AM
C17 Instructor
Yorkshire, England
Joined May 2004
211 Posts
1/4 Scale Bleriot XI Build

3 Dec 2006

Hi All

All I did this week was glue the first 2 forward fuselage cross members in place prior to a test install of the motor and a test running it.

The AXI 5330/24 was test run with 28 cells turning a 22"x10" prop, it drew 28 Amps at full throttle. Given the motor is allowed to pull 38 Amp continuous and 58 Amp peak Iím well in so I can up prop to a more scale size prop.

Iím pretty confident now that I have loads of power to spare. You can see the test run as Iíve attached the video, see Bleriot Video Forum . It doesnít half pull.

Enjoy till the next instalment.

Paul
(AKA Veri-Gash)
Last edited by Veri-Gash; Dec 03, 2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:49 AM
C17 Instructor
Yorkshire, England
Joined May 2004
211 Posts
1/4 Scale Bleriot XI

29 Dec 2006

Not a lot done this month due to my posting. But on the good side, over the Christmas holidays I got the rear fuselage joined together. See the photographs below.

Iíll be honest, pulling the rear posts together was a pain involving a lot of steaming and a lot of shaping followed by a lot of steaming and so on. The plan calls for balsa gussets and ply bracing at the rear fuselage posts, given the amount of stress the rear posts could be under if they donít get steam shaped repeatedly I reckon that level of bracing is definitely needed.

Next job is to drill holes in that lovely rear fuselage and sew in the wire rigging.

Until next time.

Paul
(AKA Veri-Gash)