HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2014, 01:46 PM
United States, TN, Pulaski
Joined Jul 2013
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengaleng View Post
Nose gear servo wire gets harnessed into the rudder wire coming from the back, both rudders and the nose wheel should operate together.

The ailerons are plugged into the hole where the wings join, I'm going to be making a harness for that as well.
See above
jwallwhitworth is offline Find More Posts by jwallwhitworth
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2014, 05:07 PM
United States, PA, Norristown
Joined May 2012
624 Posts
I'm trying to find specs on amp draw for the following:

All the Finwing servos that came with the kit
Fy41ap
GPS
Data radio
3x tilt servos(2x hitec hs65hb 1x Finwing tilt)
3x 360 pan servos (2x GWS 360's, 1x Finwing 390)

I plan to use a 7.5a ubec for 5v but I want to be sure I won't be going over the amp draw, any help would be appreciated. If I exceed the potential amp draw I will have to use two separate ubec's
Jengaleng is offline Find More Posts by Jengaleng
Old May 12, 2014, 09:36 AM
aka JoshW, damightyj
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2013
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by holykaos1 View Post
Ok was just wondering if it would be a good thing to change or if it would really do any thing seeing as how carbon rod has a high price tag.
Sorry, I would have replied sooner but missed this. The wings are fairly light even with the stock tubes preinstalled in the wings, considering the amount of foam. Truth be told, I wish they were stronger. I recently had an incident wherein I flipped the Pixhawk to FBW but mistakenly and unknowingly switched the elevator orientation on the ground before the flight. I flipped in to FBW in the air and the flight controller put the Titan in to a straight-down dive. I flipped back to Manual and was able to pull out of the dive, but the wings flexed a lot. Edit: they flexed a LOT. I even laminated the wings with 3mil lam and added black ultracoat on the bottom. I'm pretty sure the wings would have snapped w/o this reinforcement.

Here's a video from my buddy who was following me with his quad:
Air Titan LOS - FlyByWire Almost an Epic Disaster (0 min 45 sec)

later review of the Pixhawk logs showed the dived induced -2.8G and the recovery was in the 5.5G range.

Anyways.. I would NOT worry about the weight of the tubes in the wings, nor the CF tubes that join them. They are very light and arguably insufficient if you get in a situation. I think they're perfectly sufficient as long as you don't try any aerobatics though The benefit:weight ratio is definitely favorable though, so I wouldn't stress that.

Curious... anyone modding the wings and adding flaps?
JoshW24 is offline Find More Posts by JoshW24
Old May 12, 2014, 04:16 PM
Katalepsis
United States, AL, Enterprise
Joined Dec 2006
93 Posts
Brown pants moment. I always fly two mistakes high everytime I run a config wizard or make large PID adjustments. Nice save.
glorysgun is offline Find More Posts by glorysgun
Old May 13, 2014, 10:27 AM
aka JoshW, damightyj
Joined Jun 2013
191 Posts
Thanks Yep, same here on the two-mistakes rule. It just happened to take two mistakes for me to get out of it, so, I think I need to make "two mistakes" a bit higher
Old May 13, 2014, 11:19 AM
Katalepsis
United States, AL, Enterprise
Joined Dec 2006
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshW24 View Post

Curious... anyone modding the wings and adding flaps?
The thing I have learned with my Titan is that I land better with a little speed and with power. It's been ages since I last flew a fixed wing nitro plane but there you'd always bring the plane in with power, even at idle. I've been flying these foamies for awhile now and have just gotten into the habit of chopping power and floating in. The Titan is not a typical foamie weighing in at 15lbs. Flaps will slow it down but I don't think I want to get into a situation where you'd get close to a stall. This thing has enough of a predictable scale approach that you can pretty much fly it right in. Landing gear seems to be as stable as you can expect from hardware bolted to styrofoam. Don't really see a need for takeoffs either as I'm getting about a 1.6:1 power to weight ratio. She gets up quickly at 90amps Flaps maybe a consideration if you plan on really piling some batts for endurance. I'd have to reposition my A/P to make room for anymore than the 6S10000 I'm running right now.
glorysgun is offline Find More Posts by glorysgun
Old May 14, 2014, 06:41 AM
aka JoshW, damightyj
Joined Jun 2013
191 Posts
Thanks for answering. So far my experience is the same, that you have to keep the power on. Flying previous foamies has spoiled me, that is for sure.

You nailed the reason why I was asking, I am considering a second 12,400mah battery and my runway conditions aren't the greatest. At the field I fly at they're fine, but in the desert that isn't always the case. I know with more practice I'll grease it in better and better, but right now I'm still bouncing the landings a bit too much with the one battery on. There is a spot I want to fly this summer but the landing area is a bit short. Doable, just short

Anyways, thanks for the reply!

edit: only wondering for landings... Take-offs is not a concern due to the amount of power available
Old May 15, 2014, 01:19 AM
Joined May 2012
624 Posts
great recovery josh!

I'm not doing flaps because my titan is going to be on the heavy side and it will need to land under power. I don't have any extra channels for that either but I guess once I land I could set flaperons to slow down

my titan is about 80% done building now and I'm itching to fly but taking some extra time to sort out some issues.
Old May 15, 2014, 03:58 AM
aka JoshW, damightyj
Joined Jun 2013
191 Posts
Good to hear Jengaleng, thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to seeing some build pics and flight vids from you soon then
Old May 16, 2014, 08:46 AM
Joined May 2012
624 Posts

Old May 16, 2014, 10:19 AM
aka JoshW, damightyj
Joined Jun 2013
191 Posts
Those look fantastic! Is the bottom camera at any risk of dragging on the ground? It looks to be a bit low.. I have been theorycrafting a brushless gimbal idea (3-axis of course) that could "deploy" out of that hole and then after the flight, but before the landing, retract back up in to the hole so that it has an acceptable amount of clearance for landings. Even if the pod deployed/retracted only an inch, I think that would make a ton of difference..

Looks good bud, looking forward to hearing how the maiden went!
Old May 16, 2014, 05:53 PM
Joined May 2012
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshW24 View Post
Those look fantastic! Is the bottom camera at any risk of dragging on the ground? It looks to be a bit low.. I have been theorycrafting a brushless gimbal idea (3-axis of course) that could "deploy" out of that hole and then after the flight, but before the landing, retract back up in to the hole so that it has an acceptable amount of clearance for landings. Even if the pod deployed/retracted only an inch, I think that would make a ton of difference..

Looks good bud, looking forward to hearing how the maiden went!
Hey josh! thanks!

My main concern for a bottom facing cam was exactly what you are talking about. What I've found is that there is much more clearance then you think, you can see the nose wheel is 2 or so inches below the camera which isn't a lot but it's enough unless I'm landing in the thick. I'm more concerned with tall grass getting tangled on up on the camera during landing then the camera actually hitting the ground.

I thought about having a raise function on that camera as well but because of my lack of channels(Using all 12 that dragon link offers) and the clearance measurements checking out I went with how it is now.

In the future I might be adding the feiyu tech 2 axis gimbal but that's another project.

What you see in the pictures are as follows:

3 rmrc 700 ntsc cams
1x 1w 1.3ghz tx
1x 1w 900 mhz tx
fy 606 data radio 2.4ghz
dragonlink rx w/new dipole
2x 5v rmrc 7.5a ubecs
3x 12v l-c filters
1x turnigy remote switch
finwing 390 pan/tilt for gopro and fpv cam
rmrc basic pan/tilt for bottom facing and passenger cam
2x gws 360 pan servos
4 manual switches on t he opposite opening to the esc- 2x ubec on/off, 1x 5v lights and strobes on/off, 1x 12v wing light strips on/off, rmrc USB port for upgrading osd firmare in the plane(FC firmware done with data radio wirelessly)

As I've said above, this plane was built with the mission of giving a non-fpver and fpver alike control of their view without having to fly. With a flip of a switch I can turn on the top mounted camera that is connected to the 900mhz tx to give them complete view.
I am using a repeater to achieve 12 channels from the dragonlink so channels 11&12 are pan/tilt for the passenger camera. There will be a stand alone radio tx associated with those channels so the passenger has control over where they want to look, headtracker optional.

It's a rainy day and I'm painting the wings and tail sections in the garage and waiting on the replacement esc to come in the mail before I'm able to glue the fuse together. This plane looks like it's going to be a favorite for a long time but only time will tell.

-Jeng
Old May 17, 2014, 08:57 PM
Joined Jul 2013
103 Posts
Maybe my last Titan flight, Just listed it for sale. Family things came up and it is in the classifides

From today

Finwing air titan LOS (6 min 35 sec)

For sale link

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2168515
Old May 18, 2014, 06:33 PM
Joined May 2012
624 Posts
sorry to hear about your situation Jwall

now that you might be considered non-bias, are there any little nagging things about the titan that you didn't like after building and flying it?
Old May 18, 2014, 06:59 PM
Joined Jul 2013
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengaleng View Post
sorry to hear about your situation Jwall

now that you might be considered non-bias, are there any little nagging things about the titan that you didn't like after building and flying it?
Actually only one. Lack of a side door but that was solved easy. Made my own. Otherwise I love this plane. Reminds me of a jumbo penguin. Wish I could keep it but need to down size as we have our third kid on the way now so sitting some priorities.

I will split up the electronics from the airframe and servos/motor esc.