HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:21 PM
United States, MA, Taunton
Joined Jul 2013
96 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I forgot to set email notification and got sidetracked on some other great threads.

Im thinking about trying out the 3Drankin mod that you just built or just parting ways with it for something that is on par with my crashing style

Can the 3Drankin take some rough landings, I don't really crash all that much, I generally fly low and light and work on harriers etc, so when I crash its more of sudden landing vs a full on nose plant.

RCrudder dude, would recommend of of the 32" Value hobby foamie over the 3Drankin upgrade? I do like flyer her, she is just to nose heavy to hover any more...

Thanks!
jk6stringer is offline Find More Posts by jk6stringer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2014, 05:43 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Mar 2014
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6stringer View Post
Thanks for the replies, I forgot to set email notification and got sidetracked on some other great threads.

Im thinking about trying out the 3Drankin mod that you just built or just parting ways with it for something that is on par with my crashing style

Can the 3Drankin take some rough landings, I don't really crash all that much, I generally fly low and light and work on harriers etc, so when I crash its more of sudden landing vs a full on nose plant.

RCrudder dude, would recommend of of the 32" Value hobby foamie over the 3Drankin upgrade? I do like flyer her, she is just to nose heavy to hover any more...

Thanks!
Thats a hard question to answer! Lol

I have so much fun with both of them!

The as3xtra i dont consider really a good 3d trainer as i would the value hobby 32". But i do like that the as3xtra can be brought anywhere, i generally though can fly the value hobby model anywhere that i can the as3xtra but i guess it depends on skill level as well.

In the end id say the value hobby model over this to learn good 3d and have lots of life out of it, cause lets face it, no matter how small or big depron is always going to be not necessarily weaker but way more breakable then epp. And with epp its easily fixeable if per say a nose dive happens and u get tears, with depron it may explode or crack all over the place.

Go with the value hobby id say!

I know ive put a lot more money into this little thing with all the airframes and motors compared to the value hobby 32" thats still going strong.

The 3drankin does give more durability overall but still as all depron is, quite fragile in more situations then not if you get what im saying.

Goodluck!

-Mike
rcduder is online now Find More Posts by rcduder
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:08 PM
Joined Jul 2013
96 Posts
Great feedback you sold me on it, I'm heading over to Value Hobby to pull the trigger!

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:12 PM
Joined Mar 2014
260 Posts
Quote:
Great feedback you sold me on it, I'm heading over to Value Hobby to pull the trigger!

Thanks
No problem i hope you enjoy it!

Spastic in the value hobby thread has a great build log of the laser just as a good reference for all of them

Goodluck and go ahead and message me or post in the value hobby thread for any more info!

-Mike
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:19 PM
Joined Jul 2013
96 Posts
Thanks will do, I appreciate the help!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:27 PM
Joined Mar 2014
260 Posts
Quote:
Thanks will do, I appreciate the help!
No problem thats what im here for!

-Mike
Old Jul 23, 2014, 09:27 PM
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2014
107 Posts
Boo on Value Hobby !!!!
Just tried to order an epp, 32", complete setup after reading this thread. Apperently they only ship within the U.S., and I can't order one JUST cuz I'm up here in canada!!!!!
Confirmed by Email from customer support.

Not impressed!!!
The Jackalope is offline Find More Posts by The Jackalope
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:43 PM
Joined Mar 2014
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackalope View Post
Boo on Value Hobby !!!!
Just tried to order an epp, 32", complete setup after reading this thread. Apperently they only ship within the U.S., and I can't order one JUST cuz I'm up here in canada!!!!!
Confirmed by Email from customer support.

Not impressed!!!
Sorry to hear about the frustration but this is not the thread for it

Go to the value hobby thread

You cant really blame a small company like them if they dont want to ship out of the country i guess but ive never had this problem so really cant say what to do.

-Mike
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
44 Posts
Hey guys. Loving this plane so much. I might buy another fror outdoor as I've been bashing this one around the living room. I will always have one as long as they don't stop making them with no replacement like last time.

Anyway I am having trouble with the plane tourqe rolling in a hover. I really have to hold aileron the entire hovering flight. I use standard as3x mode. Even when I am in hover assist it goes full aileron trying to hold but just quite can't hold on and will piro 90 degrees and catch it again. Repeat.

I was considering moving battery to opposite side but I don't think that would make a difference. Any thoughts?? I am using the Suhkoi prop.
iadamz is offline Find More Posts by iadamz
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
494 Posts
unwanted torque roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadamz View Post
I am using the Suhkoi prop.
I went back to stock prop because of similar problem. Stock prop or the GWS 5030 works better for me.
Wid is offline Find More Posts by Wid
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
Ivanka pri Dunaji,Slovakia,Bratislava
Joined Jul 2008
67 Posts
Im sorry but AS3XTRa airframe is really bullsh*t. its twisty and weak. I dont have problems with flying, im in 3D flying about 12 years, but in flight i really can see, that fuselage isnt rigid at all.
Im looking for any 3mm depron alternative. I also changed 2 ailerons servos to 1 1,9 Hobbycity servo. Its really strong and fast.
Have anyone A4 tiled plans for any alternative airframe ?
Thanks
SrAjnI_sVK is offline Find More Posts by SrAjnI_sVK
Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,486 Posts
looking into getting this bird.

Just curious have any of you "tail dipped" this thing yet?? Lets see a video!!

I fly mostly scale planes, and sport. I have never really got much into 3D, but I think with this plane having the AS3X, I will have a blast (cheating) flying 3D. Also it would be good for flying a my house which I cant fly my other planes at.

Any major Pro's/Cons for this plane?
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrAjnI_sVK View Post
Im sorry but AS3XTRa airframe is really bullsh*t. its twisty and weak. I dont have problems with flying, im in 3D flying about 12 years, but in flight i really can see, that fuselage isnt rigid at all.
Im looking for any 3mm depron alternative. I also changed 2 ailerons servos to 1 1,9 Hobbycity servo. Its really strong and fast.
Have anyone A4 tiled plans for any alternative airframe ?
Thanks
If you don't want to buy a frame from 3Drankin just use the stock frame for a pattern for your 3mm aero Depron
Wid is offline Find More Posts by Wid
Old Today, 12:11 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
573 Posts
I have an upgrade motor with 9T pinion from Micro Motor Warehouse. How do I swap it on my AS3xtra? I tried pushing on the stock motor and it's not budging. There was some white glue maybe where the motor meets the plastic mount and I removed that with an X-acto blade but the motor is still not moving. Once free, it doesn't look like it could come forward due to the lip on the motor mount but how does it move backward, the plane body is in the way?

I searched this thread but couldn't find a guide.
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
Old Today, 12:25 AM
Joined Mar 2014
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markran View Post
I have an upgrade motor with 9T pinion from Micro Motor Warehouse. How do I swap it on my AS3xtra? I tried pushing on the stock motor and it's not budging. There was some white glue maybe where the motor meets the plastic mount and I removed that with an X-acto blade but the motor is still not moving. Once free, it doesn't look like it could come forward due to the lip on the motor mount but how does it move backward, the plane body is in the way?

I searched this thread but couldn't find a guide.
What i did was cut away the airframe a little bit so you have room to pull it out.

Then grab some needle nose, grab the back end of the motor can and twist it should come right out! For me it did at least, i cut it away with an exacto just like you did.

You then will have to cut off the plug from the stock motor and solder it to the new motor.

Hopefully that helped, goodluck!

-Mike