HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2013, 09:17 PM
Joined Aug 2013
18 Posts
Discussion
Beginner question

Hey Guys,

Well i received my hobbyking trainstar yesterday and have been building it. I have managed to build it except for one issue. No matter what i try i can't seem tog et the propellor on to the prop shaft using the supplied prop adaptors. It appears the various prop adapters supplied are too small?

Could this be the issue or am i doing something else wrong?

Any suggestions?

Many thanks
frogger081 is offline Find More Posts by frogger081
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2013, 09:45 PM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,570 Posts
Can you post a pic of the adaptor?
Frenche is online now Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:10 PM
If I duck, you RUN
Australia, WA, Kallaroo
Joined Jan 2010
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger081 View Post
Hey Guys,

Well i received my hobbyking trainstar yesterday and have been building it. I have managed to build it except for one issue. No matter what i try i can't seem tog et the propellor on to the prop shaft using the supplied prop adaptors. It appears the various prop adapters supplied are too small?

Could this be the issue or am i doing something else wrong?

Any suggestions?

Many thanks
Some of the prop adapters need to be screwed on the prop as they are so tight. But as frenche mentioned photos would help the problem solving process
Kaffine is online now Find More Posts by Kaffine
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:50 PM
Joined Aug 2013
18 Posts
Here it is. Its not the adapter that screw in, just the bit (sort of like a thick plastic washer) that sits inside the prop to make it sit stably on the shaft.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:58 PM
If I duck, you RUN
Australia, WA, Kallaroo
Joined Jan 2010
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Here it is. Its not the adapter that screw in, just the bit (sort of like a thick plastic washer) that sits inside the prop to make it sit stably on the shaft.
OK so you have the motor with about a 3mm shaft

On that sits a Prop adapter, Aluminum collet with a screw thread that the prop goes on?

The plastic circle adapter in your pic sits inside the prop. once cleaned and squeezed onto the prop you should be able to place or sometimes screw the prop onto the aluminum adapter

Are you attaching it to the correct side, effectively the back of the prop, it will be a tight fit so the prop does not move on the circle and unbalance the prop itself
Old Sep 14, 2013, 01:15 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,784 Posts
Just drill it out if it needs it. If the prop is too large for the shaft then that collet pictured may have to glue into the prop hub. If it fits into the prop but is too small for the shaft, just drill it out to fit. It's really just a matter of using any solution you can to make it fit. If there's no easy fix then you may need a new prop or prop adaptor.

Have you got any mates local to you that may have spares? Or even a local hobby shop? Just take the motor, prop and adaptor in with you and see what they can do.
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Sep 14, 2013, 01:15 AM
Joined Aug 2013
18 Posts
I don't appear to have an adapter which is strange if i need one as it was a rtf kit. Essentially i have the inner ring which first inside the prop. The instructions then say that the prop then goes directly on the shaft - and then is secured using a washer and bolt. doesn't mention an adapter at all. The issue was i can't fit the prop onto the shaft with that inner ring in it as it don'w fit.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 01:28 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,784 Posts
No, you can't put any prop directly on the motor shaft. There should be an adaptor in the kit somewhere that should fit the motor shaft, then the prop goes on that then is secured by the nut and washer. The adaptor should squeeze tight onto the shaft when the but is tightened up. Check the contents for little odds and ends and give us a picture of what you find!
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Sep 14, 2013, 02:06 AM
Joined Aug 2013
18 Posts
Hey so the only bit remotely resembling the adapter is this first picture. The instructions call it a a spinner pedestal. Is that it? It goes on first, then the prop with the little round washer thing inside it then the bolt and finally engine cover. The issue then
Old Sep 14, 2013, 02:23 AM
If I duck, you RUN
Australia, WA, Kallaroo
Joined Jan 2010
1,131 Posts
Do you have anything that looks like this?

One more thing does the shaft have a thread on it?

and does the white cap ting fit over ther shaft and does it then hit the cowling?
Last edited by Kaffine; Sep 14, 2013 at 02:28 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 02:34 AM
Joined Aug 2013
18 Posts
so these are the instructions. They are very crap - but essentially i feel i've been doing it right. I just need to drill the small round insert that goes into the prop to make it a bit wider and i am done?
Old Sep 14, 2013, 02:35 AM
Joined Aug 2013
18 Posts
here are the instructions.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 03:20 AM
If I duck, you RUN
Australia, WA, Kallaroo
Joined Jan 2010
1,131 Posts
Kewl

Looks like there is a nut that keeps the back plate from hitting the cowling, then the back plate prop, securing nut then spinner...

The hole for the back plate should be a bit smaller than the shaft so it is a snug fit or it will oscillate and put the motor off balance

Good luck with the build and first flight

Remember try to stay 3 mistakes high so you have time to recover and NEVER...NEVER fly over or behind yourself...

Kaff...
Old Sep 14, 2013, 05:59 AM
Joined Aug 2013
18 Posts
thanks for all your help guys. I stopped over to my brother in laws and used a drill to make the rubber inset big enough. Fits perfectly now. All finished. Just trying to bind the bloody tx and rx which don't seem to want to talk
Old Sep 14, 2013, 06:02 AM
If I duck, you RUN
Australia, WA, Kallaroo
Joined Jan 2010
1,131 Posts
Quote:
thanks for all your help guys. I stopped over to my brother in laws and used a drill to make the rubber inset big enough. Fits perfectly now. All finished. Just trying to bind the bloody tx and rx which don't seem to want to talk
Wait when I was trying to find info on the prop I read somewhere about binding issues...

BRB.

Here is some info, hope its not the final problem..if it is do you own a soldering iron

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1897598
Last edited by Kaffine; Sep 14, 2013 at 06:09 AM.