Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:00 PM
Microbiology at it's best.
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
244 Posts
We have the technology to rebuild

A pic of the motor mount that I wanted to use but I measured wrong. It is strong enough to handle a much bigger motor than the one that you can see.

Also, here is the glider needing some TLC after the Kadet is finished.

My HURC order should be here tomorrow.
beerbrewer is offline Find More Posts by beerbrewer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:03 PM
charliey0
United States, WA, Oak Harbor
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
Gents, please excuse my butting in. One day I'll get to the Kadet Sr, but for now it's the LT-25. This comes with a .25 - .30 2Stroke, but I want electric. What engine? How much watts? Best motor - prop - battery combo ? Would really appreciate help
Charliey0
charliey0 is offline Find More Posts by charliey0
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:53 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliey0 View Post
Gents, please excuse my butting in. One day I'll get to the Kadet Sr, but for now it's the LT-25. This comes with a .25 - .30 2Stroke, but I want electric. What engine? How much watts? Best motor - prop - battery combo ? Would really appreciate help
Charliey0
Hi Charliey0, how about you start a new thread for this one and then I'll drown you in info. My LT-25, beside a favourite flyer has also been a power system testbed from mild to wild.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:52 AM
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliey0 View Post
Charliey0
Hey Charliey0, it is OK to join in. This is my first conversion from a slimer to electric and I am learning as I go. There has been a wealth of info provided to me by many fine folks on this thread. My Kadet should be in the mid to lower range for sport power running an E-max 43 at 720 watts WTO. Sig stated at least 500 watts for a Senior and I think I have a Lt-40 or someting close since mine is over 10 yrs old. Who knows, maybe it is an early version of a Senior since it has a 70 inch WS and the Lt-40 was only recently introduced.

I like scirocco's idea of you starting a your own thread. The info will be dedicated to your goal. I will be waiting to see what comes about.

Terry
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:29 PM
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
244 Posts
Direct from Sig

Here is the reply from Sig Mfg.

"Sounds like an LT-40. That's the only Kadet we've ever had with a 70" wingspan. The LT-40 kit version has been out for over 20 years. The ARF version was out for about 6 years, then off the market for two, and now reintroduced a couple years ago.

Best regards,
Mike"

Now I can sleep at night.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:25 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,978 Posts
I was researching .40 sized ARFs last night for anothert thread, and noticed that the current vesrion of the LT-40 is the "LT-40 EG" for electric or gas. Although I'm surprised Sig recommends a motor with Kv=1000 @500W, which suggests 3S for a 12 or 13" prop, or maybe 4S and an 11" prop. I'd always recommend for a model that big 4S minimum and Kv nearer 800- 900, or my personal favorite of Kv around 400-500 and smallish 6S packs.

Comparing it with the competition such as the Nexstar EP or the Alpha .40, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better choice than the LT-40 with its signficantly lower wingloading - a key feature IMO for a trainer.

@Terry - now it's confirmed it is an LT-40, have you thought about editing the thread title?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:25 PM
victoria texas
Joined Jul 2003
142 Posts
Ditto, LT40 is a great all around model. The big wings will enable you to select from a wider range of motors. One thing that i would look at would be prop clearance. look at the maximum prop size you could mount and still clear the ground. A motor that uses a 16 inch prop aint gonna do ya any good if it hits.
ucrash2 is offline Find More Posts by ucrash2
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:29 PM
victoria texas
Joined Jul 2003
142 Posts
and if ya' really like small motors, just get them in bulk....
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:42 AM
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post

@Terry - now it's confirmed it is an LT-40, have you thought about editing the thread title?
Awesome idea so I did it.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:09 PM
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
244 Posts
I know that I have read something about raising the back of the wing about 3/8 inch (or 10 mm) but I have not figured out why. One person said that it would give about 3 degres of downward thrust. If that is built into the firewall in the beginning, why would I need more?

Not much has moved on the conversion since my last post. I did get in the batteries and charger in so I have cycled them twice between balanced full charge to balanced storage charge. I know what I want to do for the mount but I need a new front wheel assembly so I can get the height correct. More on that later if I build in a new LG mounting block to raise the plane up another inch for spinning a larger prop.

I went to the overpriced LHS to pick up a few items and it appears that they are moving away from aircraft and parts. I hate to place a card order for such a small cash value but if I can't get it locally, I will have to. They will sell you a land buggy or other toy and they have increased the amount of floor space for "gaming" for all of you D'n'D freaks.

Uc2, I can see putting 4 blue wonders on the LE of those glider wings I have. What is the airframe that you have the 4 on?

Terry
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:03 PM
victoria texas
Joined Jul 2003
142 Posts
I dunno what plane it is, got it from a friend who got it at a swap.

The twin Kadet sr was test flown sunday.....excellent! flew very straight and honest.
Frankly, I was amazed things went so smoothly. Sorry no pics yet. I can't fly it and
take pictures at the same time. Somebody took a vid and i will threaten the club
members till they cough it up.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:49 PM
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
244 Posts
Another order

Well I just placed another for what I had hoped for the last of the stuff I need. All I can say is mercy, it looks like everybody is wanting the exact same items from HURC as I. There is a bunch of what I want that is out of stock so I won't be ordering any extras. At least I have a watt meter coming and plenty of parts to keep me busy over the Turkey Day Break next week.

I have been so busy at work that I have had very little time for any "government" project. I do have the motor mount and firewall cut out but need to get it glued up. I also found out the hard way that basswood realy likes to split right down the grain. I should have everything ready to install the motor by Friday if they don't throw a bunch extra on me at work.

I will get pics up on my next post.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:53 AM
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
244 Posts
I have finished the new motor mount and I am very pleased with the way it has turned out. All of the screws thread in easily by hand and it puts the weight forward by about 2 inches. If I remember correctly, I pulled out 5 ounces of lead fishing weights that were directly behind the firewall. This setup will eliminate having to add any extra weight and allow me to swing a big prop. My first try for the mount put the motor too low.

My next hurdle is to figure out the battery hatch and air flow over the ESC. I will try to get that figured out over the holiday. With my watt meter arriving early next week, this baby may be flying before Christmas.

I also need to contact Sig Mfg.Co. for the correct angle or line when the plane is sitting on the ground. I picked up the new front landing gear yesterday so that I could finish the new mount assembly. I just need to get it positioned correctly in regards to height.
Last edited by beerbrewer; Nov 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:12 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,978 Posts
IF they used the same method as their the LT-25, the correct thrust angle is built into the firewall alignment. It's worked fine for me across varying power systems
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:10 PM
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
244 Posts
Hey there scirocco,

I am not concerned about the thrust angle for the new mount since that angle has not changed. For the mount I just made it so the prop sits out in front of the cowling. I made sure that it was parallel to the original so the firewall is only moved 2 inches forward.

The line or angle I am referring to is how the bottom of the fuse and wing lines up with the ground. I do not have the original front landing gear and the new one tends to put the tail down way low, (IMHO). With a 12 inch prop I have just over 2 inches clearance between it and the ground. The new mount raises the center line of the motor about 1 1/4 inches above the original slimer so I can swing a bigger prop. The nose just seems too high in relation to the tail. It could be just the way the motor is mounted causing an illusion. I need to mount the wing and see what the actual angle of that line is.

I do have a pair of wire main LG that is about 1 1/2 inches taller. They came off of a Midwest Aero-Star 40 that I built years ago with used electronic parts. The poor thing did not survive its maiden voyage. I don't know what went horribly wrong, but it went straight down from about 100 feet up at near full throttle. I suspect either the tx and rx was the cause since they were used. The engine was buried at least 1 foot in a cornfield. I saved what I could and threw the balsa kindling in the trash. Anyway one of the LG wires are slightly twisted but can be straightened.