Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 02, 2003, 08:47 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Twiglet in Depron

A thread a while back caught my attention, while planning a little-bitty windy day flyer: Micro Pico Jet by Pierre Audette. He was referring to the Twiglet by Paul Alexander Cook. The plane was described on their club web page here

I Emailed for the plan a while back, and kept it handy, while figuring how I was going to do it. I just can't leave well enough alone

Anyway, here's some pictures and specs on how I did it. First, here's my intial report:

My deviations from the plans:

3mm Depron throughout
1/8" CF tube for spar
Both servos moved within 1.5" of front of wing, set side-by-side
DD EDP-50XC
Moved motor forward, so prop just cleared the back of the wing
Shortened elevons to clear prop

I'm going to start a new thread to show the pictures and such.

It flew great. Slower than I expected, but still plenty fast. I'm switching to a 3x3 prop for the next flight. Still flew fine down to about 40% throttle... floated in for a landing. Not as pitch sensative as I expected but still more than I like, but I fully believe that's a flat-plate symptom.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2003, 08:49 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I used a single magnet to hold the hatch down onto the motor case. Seems to work very well!
Old Nov 02, 2003, 08:51 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Here's a side shot. I need to 'paint' it with some sharpies, and take some 'gut shots'. I'll add those in a little while.
Old Nov 02, 2003, 09:27 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
i watched gene fly this little devil .... very impressive. really nice looking profile in the air, and it is so small - it is a hoot to watch.
jerbear is offline Find More Posts by jerbear
Old Nov 02, 2003, 10:01 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Here's the top inside
Old Nov 02, 2003, 10:02 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Here's the bottom hatch
Old Nov 02, 2003, 10:03 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Here's the bottom opened
Old Nov 02, 2003, 10:04 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
The battery goes waaaaaaay up in the nose
Old Nov 02, 2003, 10:06 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
And finally, here she is all 'Painted up' with Sharpies
Old Nov 02, 2003, 10:08 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,585 Posts
super

Great..... looks like lots of fun.....Plans???? Love the small size.
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Nov 03, 2003, 07:02 AM
United States of America
Joined May 2003
287 Posts
Very cool Gene! What did your AUW come out at? I don't have depron do you think sturdiboard would work? Thanks.
GenesisCreation is offline Find More Posts by GenesisCreation
Last edited by GenesisCreation; Nov 03, 2003 at 07:34 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2003, 07:25 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
GC: It came out at 3 1/8oz (89g) w/ a 2 cell ET250! The plans call for 5oz, so should be OK with Sturdiboard ro Readyboard.

jerbear is going to try it with FF, so we'll know more in a few days...
Old Nov 03, 2003, 10:34 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Well, I got in another very enjoyable flight thi morning I think I really like this little plane. I may tweak a few things and build another eventually...

The strangest thing happened, though. Basically, the same as yesterday, when jerbear was watching... Today, I switched to a 3x3 prop, and it flies much better, as expected. I think I have found the 'Terminal Velocity', though... Yesterday when I was trying a 3 cell 250 pack on the 3x2, I was flying right at myself, 10-15' off the ground, and picked it up to full throttle... I had been flying at half... Anyway, I thought I got a radio hit, but no I'm not sure...

So, fast forward to this morning... All was well in the world. I put the battery back a little further, and loops were much better. Anyway, I figured I'd check how it did on a dive, so I climbed up to 50-75' or so, and pointed it straight down... Naturally, I cranked the ailerons, since a dive isn't a dive, unless you're rolling ...

So, about 10' down, still 30-40' off the ground, the Twiglet exploded! I'm talking what appeared to be pieces everywhere! I thought enough to chop the throttle, and just stood there with my mouth open, while the 3 pieces just fluttered in the sky, eventually, after what had to be 5 seconds, but felt like a lifetime, I took the chuckling stroll of shame over to pick up the pieces...

It all snapped right back together, no damage!!! So, I launched it, and buzzed around myself on the walk back to the other side of the field...

I'm trying to determine what happened. Man I wish someone was shooting video. I'm going to have to try it again, you know I think, the force of the spin on the Vstab was enough to knock the top hatch off, and the wind going into the fuse popped the bottom hatch off. Heck, the battery didn't even come off the velcro. I'm not kidding. It just snapped back together!

Crazy...
Old Nov 04, 2003, 06:34 AM
United States of America
Joined May 2003
287 Posts
Glad there was no damage. I would have loved to have seen that. Where's a video camera when you need one.
GenesisCreation is offline Find More Posts by GenesisCreation
Old Nov 04, 2003, 08:15 AM
Wiltshire, UK
Joined Jan 2003
107 Posts
Genebond,

I’m glad that you have taken a fancy for the Twiglet design, and like the depron interpretation along with Pierre’s a while back.

I flew two of my Twiglet’s for most of the (UK) summer, one powered by the GWS IPS S2 motor and a second powered by the PJS300 out-runner motor. The PJS powered model was by far the better and still achieved over 10 minutes of flight when using 2S 640mAH Li-poly’s and a 7x6” prop. I definitely recommend the PJS motor for this type of model.

Unfortunately my Twiglet’s have now been retired due to new projects. I have attached a few pictures for interest, and if anybody is interested a free plan is available via Reg Heath of www.modelflight.fsnet.co.uk .

Here’s a link to Twiglet on Reg’s site:

http://www.mfarchive.modelstuff.co.u.../flydocset.htm
Paul.A.Cook is offline Find More Posts by Paul.A.Cook