HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:24 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Discussion
Stumped about powering retracts

The retracts in question are the E-Flite .60-1.20 size electric. If I connect one retract to a receiver, the retracrt (either one) works normally evey time. If I turn things off and back onit doesn't work any longer. I disconnect everything and walk away and then then will work again once. I've had both retracts working simultaneously on an intermittent basis but only for one shot.

I've powered the receiver with 70 amp esc with switching BEC, the E-Flite 60 amp ESC with switching BEC and even a Castle 10 amp BEC. Same behavior with each. I've tried three different receivers. Everything works sperfectly except for the retracts with al the above power setups. I'm completely stumped. Defective retracts?
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:33 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,435 Posts
Sounds like defective retracts, or an itermittent fault in the Y-lead. Have you tried connecting them one at a time direct to the receiver, or simply swapping them around on the Y-lead to see if it's always the same one that behaves badly?

I power mine with a separate 4A BEC, but that's not because they need the power, it's just because I'm paranoid about a faulty retract shorting the BEC and causing me to lose my receiver power if they're using the same BEC.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
I've tested them with and without the Y's. I guess I need to call E-Flite on Monday.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:29 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
I doubt it will help anybody but I did fix the problem. I don't understand the problem. I only know that what I did fixed it. what I did was to shim the retracts with 1/32" plywood so that they were flush with the wing surface.

You might think something was hanging up somewhere but, if you've seen the retracts, they are completely self contained within an aluminum frame. All the internal motion takes place within that frame. It is a head scratcher for me. Hopefully it will help someone else in the future. Horizon was completely stumped. There you go.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:33 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,435 Posts
Any chance the wheel was hitting the bottom of the well before you shimmed it up? If the retract doesn't quite reach the end of its travel, due to obstruction, it doesn't always behave as you expect it to next time you hit the switch.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:27 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
It is possible, I suppose. Maybe I should shim it a bit more to be sure. 1/32" isn't much.