HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Apr 2002
398 Posts
Discussion
Micro Crawler FPV- Project G.I.M.P (Geo Intelligence Mobile Probe)

Hi All,

Just got back from an almost a month trip, but I can now post pics of my completed FPV micro crawler project. I just wanted to share this.

Ever since getting into this micro crawler project, I have been wanting to convert it into a fun micro FPV setup that I can drive around the house and harass the cat or just FPV outdoors. Finally, after some planning and setup, I have completed it. The goal of this project was also to create a micro FPV ground all terrain vehical that was also tough enough to survive tumbles/flips/drops without damage to the FPV gear. I actually tumbled this down 16 steps with no damage... Run time is 20min before I have to swap out the Lipos for both the Video/Audio TX and the Motor/RX. I am using Zippy 350 Mah 2S Lipo to power the Motor & Rx and a Hyperion 240 1S Lipo to power the Video & Audio.

It's really fun to drive it around the house and outdoors! I can get quite a great range. I can control the crawler on the 2nd floor while the crawler is on the first floor or even outdoors! It sure does give a very different perspective. The crawler is one of the best vehicles to use as a micro FPV as it can crawl over many obstacles unscathed.

I did spend some time to 'calibrate' the camera inside the crawler so that I can FPV around with an actual sense of distance and control. If you notice the screen, anything within the left and right vertical lines of the rectangular OSD overlay display block that has it's bottom edge in line with the bottom of the screen overlay is 1.2 feet away and I can 'fit' the crawler through the space . ...I can guage stuff up to 5 feet away quite accurately.

With the custom case designed, I can easily carry all the FPV equipment and crawler anywhere and unleash G.I.M.P for terrain scouting! Kinda inspired by the Mission Impossible Mobile Remote Kit in the last movie .

I am still trying to learn more about FPV equipment and am glad to find so much informative posts here.

Thanks for looking!

Some of the Mods I have done:

1) HS-65MG steering servo to replace the weak stock servo
2) bent in front links
3) Mini Qlo Miclaw Tires
4) BWD Wheel widener kit
5) BWD Beadlock Vertex Rims
6) Lipo Conversion
7) Relocated battery and esc to axles
8 ) Full Drooped Suspension using Micro T springs
9) flipped tranny shifting weight forward
10) Custom Lipo Reinforced holder
11) Internal weighted wheel weights with Molded Tungsten
12) Extended rear Driveshaft with Micro Trekker Shaft
13) HR Aluminium Servo arm
14) Aluminium servo block
15) TMC BUGGY CHASSIS KIT
16) Video and Audio Transmitter
17) Reinforced Video Antenna protective structure so that the crawler can flip/drop with no damage to the A/V antenna
18 ) Handbuilt top mounted Camera adjustible mount
19) Calibrated Camera lens adjustment for accurate FPV control
20) Custom Carrying Case

I am also hoping to swap out the motor for one with alot more torque soon.

Size Comparison with a Mouse

Reinforced Lipo Holder

Reinforced RX Holder

'Poor man's ' Manual OSD Distance/Space Calibration

Custom Case

butter_fingers is offline Find More Posts by butter_fingers
Last edited by butter_fingers; Feb 09, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:29 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,683 Posts
That's pretty cool Am I right that it started out as a Losi crawler? Have any video of it in action?
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:31 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,036 Posts
I'd move the On/Off switch to some other different location where its not going to get bumped and make you go for a long walk to get it back
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:53 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
I like it!! I had an e-maxx made up for FPV. Kinda gave it up because the range just wasn't good enough.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:56 PM
Happy Newbie
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2011
86 Posts
Beautiful!

I 2nd the request for video, please!
Scurvy is offline Find More Posts by Scurvy