HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2014, 05:59 AM
jv8
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jan 2010
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelity101 View Post
Thanks xtraflyr...I'll try to report back on my settings as well as soon as I can get back up and running.

Also, I do have to agree with you about the notion of hands free 3-D operation with the Graupner Gyro receivers. Watching the video with that 3D hands free hovering and doing really impressive maneuvers is what led me to believe the Gyro was actually capable of such things. My eagle tree Guardian will hold 3D position during a tailslide… But that is advertised as a 3D capable heading to hold where this is clearly not the same implementation
I'm still setting up my Graupner gyro... but from what I read so far I think the Graupner gyro does not do "heading hold" mode. This is the "I" gain in the PID controller.

The Eagle Tree Guardian will do "heading hold"... if it falls out of a hover you can just give it throttle and it will find its way back to the original orientation.

However, the Eagle Tree has some disadvantages:
1) it's a separate unit
2) it only has a single remote gain channel which affects all axis - the Graupner can independently control all axis in flight. So you could mix out aileron gain only when the aileron stick is away from center for fast spins while the other axis are locked. Or you could weathervane the tail when desired.
3) The P and D gains are not independently adjustable
4) It has low servo current rating - external power bus is necessary for larger models
5) The servo output config is less flexible. So if you had 4 aileron servos you would have to use an external matchbox

I think I'll be fine without heading hold. The "rate" mode will make the plane fly "bigger" and more stable... but it will be less robotic in the sense you will still need to manually correct when drastic things occur.
jv8 is offline Find More Posts by jv8
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:31 AM
Chester NJ
Joined Nov 2005
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jv8 View Post
I'm still setting up my Graupner gyro... but from what I read so far I think the Graupner gyro does not do "heading hold" mode. This is the "I" gain in the PID controller.

The Eagle Tree Guardian will do "heading hold"... if it falls out of a hover you can just give it throttle and it will find its way back to the original orientation.

However, the Eagle Tree has some disadvantages:
1) it's a separate unit
2) it only has a single remote gain channel which affects all axis - the Graupner can independently control all axis in flight. So you could mix out aileron gain only when the aileron stick is away from center for fast spins while the other axis are locked. Or you could weathervane the tail when desired.
3) The P and D gains are not independently adjustable
4) It has low servo current rating - external power bus is necessary for larger models
5) The servo output config is less flexible. So if you had 4 aileron servos you would have to use an external matchbox

I think I'll be fine without heading hold. The "rate" mode will make the plane fly "bigger" and more stable... but it will be less robotic in the sense you will still need to manually correct when drastic things occur.
I really don't want a heading lock gyro. I want to work for my hovers. It does make harriers and elevators stable and knife edges take a little less stick work. I still have to learn what it can do. I'd like to try it in my 60cc or 100cc plane. Of course I need a more channel RX.
xtraflyr is offline Find More Posts by xtraflyr
Old Jul 23, 2014, 09:24 AM
Go fast, pull up.
United States, NY, Clarence Center
Joined Nov 2008
1,489 Posts
I believe that all of my previous comments regarding the gyros may be inaccurate. My transmitter is defective, meaning I had a very high packet loss. This would explain why my model was not flying as expected as I can only imagine how many times the Gyro receiver went into hold mode.

I know that I am off to a pretty rough start with this new system, but hopefully the new transmitter will allow me to better understand the true range of the receivers as well as the functionality and benefits provided by the Gyro receivers.

I would also like to call attention to the electric air module, specifically talking about the inaccurate current measurements. This may be a simple miscommunication with the guys at open hobby, but I want to be clear on the issue and see if anyone else has the same problem. When my quad was hovering, the Graupner EAM showed approximately 17 A. I know, based on previous testing with several different current meters that I require between 20 and 22 A to maintain a hover. During forward flight I know that I am pulling between 30 and 40 A, while the Graupner EAM displayed 22 to 25 A. The voltage measurement seemed pretty accurate, but maybe that is because I grounded the cell voltage ground pin to main ground... Meaning the ground on my power distribution board. The consumed current measurement is obviously off because the amperage measurement is off.

My question to open hobby is "are you aware of this issue and are you working on a fix?" I have explained this issue in an email to service at openHobby.com and the response had to do with the voltage problem… Which has nothing to do with the problem I am reporting. I am repeating my question here, not to be redundant, but to make it clear what my specific problem is and hopefully address it so others can benefit from the information as well. If this is not a known issue, and I may have a defective unit, I need to know this so that I can return it. I do however find it hard to believe that it is a defective hardware unit because at least one other person is reporting the exact same issue.
Fidelity101 is offline Find More Posts by Fidelity101
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:40 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
584 Posts
I am still working on this. First tests did not show any current and voltage differences between three different devices (ESC, EAM and E-Meter).

I will need to do some more testing.
Graupner USA is offline Find More Posts by Graupner USA
Site Sponsor
Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM
Go fast, pull up.
United States, NY, Clarence Center
Joined Nov 2008
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graupner USA View Post
I am still working on this. First tests did not show any current and voltage differences between three different devices (ESC, EAM and E-Meter).

I will need to do some more testing.
Is it possible, due to the significant packet loss in flight, that the capacity information is lower. Perhaps dropped packets of telemetry information prevents accurate capacity information? I'm trying to give the Graupner EAM the benefit of the doubt whenever possible, so lets assume that my 21A hover dropped to 17A hover for two reasons.
1.) I lost 2oz of weight by removing excess wire and hitec telemetry gear and replacing it with the Graupner EAM.
2.) It was a completely calm day, zero wind, so perhaps 17A is close to accurate during a hover.

Taking that as an assumption, it's possible that the current could be fairly accurate and the capacity could be off because of packet loss???

I can't do any testing on my side until I get a new radio...sending you a private PM with my off the record gripe. :-)
Fidelity101 is offline Find More Posts by Fidelity101
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
584 Posts
I don't think they are related. My focus is the capacity reading using different firmware versions before drawing any conclusion.
Graupner USA is offline Find More Posts by Graupner USA
Site Sponsor