HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2009, 09:25 PM
Foster City, CA
Joined Dec 2002
175 Posts
Discussion
Super Decathlon - 106" wingspan

Just a one minute video showing the beautiful scale Citabria (not a Decathlon) taxing out, taking off and flying around, with some still photos thrown in. No aerobatics and no landing, but nice video quality.

"The plane was built from an original Bud Nosen kit. It is powered by an original OS Gemini 120 twin. Gene probably built it in the early 80s, but never finished it. I finished it and painted it with Nelsons polyurethane. It has a 106 inch span, and weighs 17.5 lbs. It flys veeery scale. Definately not a 3d airplane.

-Mike"

Super Decathlon (1 min 42 sec)
brosenguy is offline Find More Posts by brosenguy
Last edited by brosenguy; Aug 14, 2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: It is a Citabria, not a Decathlon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2009, 09:50 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,223 Posts
Thats one of the best Nosen Citabrias I've seen!

Can't really get a clear view of the underside of the wing, but it looks like the original Nosen flat-bottomed Citabria wing. I was wondering if the builder modified the wing to a semi-symmetrical one, ala Decathlon?

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:38 AM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,642 Posts
Nope thats a Citabria, on the takeoff roll you can just make out the flat bottom wing

cooper998
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:51 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1 Posts
Nosen Citabria

Correct. It is a flat bottom wing. The airplane is a typical Citabria, but the paint scheme is a composite of several different Citabria/Decathlon ideas that I have seen in the past. The video was shot on my second flight with the airplane, and it was still not quite trimmed out completely. I have flown Rc on and off for 30 years, and most recently have been playing around with large scale 3d stuff. it is really interesting to take a step back in time and fly an airplane like this again. It flys very scale, and you have to coordinate the turns all the way through. It is a nice relaxing scale ship to fly.

Mike
cheatgravity is offline Find More Posts by cheatgravity
Old Aug 14, 2009, 04:48 PM
Got Water ?? Lets Fly !!
New England
Joined Mar 2009
32 Posts
Nosen Citabria paint work

Hey Mike !!

Superb paint work on your new ride... It appears that you have many hours of paint time in that color combination. It looks awesome.

Congrats on the successful flights and the video quality is outstanding !!

Enjoy it

~doug @ the ranch
lakesideranch is offline Find More Posts by lakesideranch