Nov 03, 2012, 08:55 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
HO. LEE. SHIIIIAT!! What an awesome plane!! Good lord. This thing is so locked in that it's not even funny. It virtually hovers and torque rolls hands off! Every thing I threw at it was easier to to pull off than any other plane I've ever flown. This plane is just ridiculously good. I didn't even need one single click of trim!

I still have some playing around to do with my setup though. I'm running the Motrofly 5320-300 on an 8s setup with a 19x8 prop. I think I need to try out a 19x10 to see how I like it. It felt a little sluggish at times but it could be that I'm used to my 57" Extra rocket. I'll go ahead and order another prop to try but plenty happy with how it flies on the current setup... I Just want to see what it feels like with a little more top-end speed.

The other thing I need to iron out is my aileron travel. My aileron rolls aren't axial right now so I'm guessing they aren't traveling the same distance in both directions. I'll nail that down tonight.

But man... what a stupidly fantastic plane!!

Oh... a few questions. I'm currently using HS-985's because that's what was on the plane when I bought it. They are fine but I'll move up sooner or later to something better. But my questions are:

I'm using a CC BEC Pro and I've got it set to 6v for now. Do I need to bump that up to something higher? I didn't feel like it needed it today but just curious. Also, should I be using a separate battery pack to power the BEC?
Quote:
It's just like everything is in slow motion. And on top of that the plane is just so dang locked in!!!
Nothing flies like a Slick!!! Glad you like yours!!

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2012, 09:00 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Turnerm what brand of prop are you using? The xoar and mejzlik both produce more thrust and speed than an apc. Plus 3k watts. I am producing 7800rpm with my mejzlik 19x8 prop.
Nov 03, 2012, 09:32 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic
Turnerm what brand of prop are you using? The xoar and mejzlik both produce more thrust and speed than an apc. Plus 3k watts. I am producing 7800rpm with my mejzlik 19x8 prop.
Xoar 19x8.
Nov 04, 2012, 02:18 AM
3d NOOBular
Losi thanks for posting an rpm number for the 19x8 prop. I was wondering how my gasser compared power wise. It has more, but also weighs in close to 11 pounds. I had always been wondering how big of a difference there was on power. If my plane lost a pound it would be a rocket. As it is I think it flies really nice but not as light as the electrics... which isn't a problem for me.
Nov 04, 2012, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke
Losi thanks for posting an rpm number for the 19x8 prop. I was wondering how my gasser compared power wise. It has more, but also weighs in close to 11 pounds. I had always been wondering how big of a difference there was on power. If my plane lost a pound it would be a rocket. As it is I think it flies really nice but not as light as the electrics... which isn't a problem for me.
The DLE 30 based on its stated HP of 3.7hp equates to about 2700watts....spool ups slower on gas to you dont have that instant acceleration like you do with electric so it feels like less power than that. Along with the extra pound of wieght too.
Last edited by GoldCraft; Nov 04, 2012 at 07:08 AM.
Nov 04, 2012, 07:09 AM
3D Addict
Quote:
HO. LEE. SHIIIIAT!! What an awesome plane!! Good lord. This thing is so locked in that it's not even funny. It virtually hovers and torque rolls hands off! Every thing I threw at it was easier to to pull off than any other plane I've ever flown. This plane is just ridiculously good. I didn't even need one single click of trim!

I still have some playing around to do with my setup though. I'm running the Motrofly 5320-300 on an 8s setup with a 19x8 prop. I think I need to try out a 19x10 to see how I like it. It felt a little sluggish at times but it could be that I'm used to my 57" Extra rocket. I'll go ahead and order another prop to try but plenty happy with how it flies on the current setup... I Just want to see what it feels like with a little more top-end speed.

The other thing I need to iron out is my aileron travel. My aileron rolls aren't axial right now so I'm guessing they aren't traveling the same distance in both directions. I'll nail that down tonight.

But man... what a stupidly fantastic plane!!

Oh... a few questions. I'm currently using HS-985's because that's what was on the plane when I bought it. They are fine but I'll move up sooner or later to something better. But my questions are:

I'm using a CC BEC Pro and I've got it set to 6v for now. Do I need to bump that up to something higher? I didn't feel like it needed it today but just curious. Also, should I be using a separate battery pack to power the BEC?
Check out the savox 1258tg about $65. I had 985's first in my slick - the savox's are much quicker - using 6V and a CC BEC Pro. You will immediately feel more connected to the plane.
Nov 04, 2012, 09:35 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast
Check out the savox 1258tg about $65. I had 985's first in my slick - the savox's are much quicker - using 6V and a CC BEC Pro. You will immediately feel more connected to the plane.
Or check out the Align DS610s!
Nov 04, 2012, 09:57 AM
3d NOOBular
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft
The DLE 30 based on its stated HP of 3.7hp equates to about 2700watts....spool ups slower on gas to you dont have that instant acceleration like you do with electric so it feels like less power than that. Along with the extra pound of wieght too.
You made the assumption that I'm using a DLE 30

The PTE 36cc has 4.2 HP and I'm getting a little more with my custom ring.
Nov 04, 2012, 01:55 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Yeah Im sure that 36 has more power. I peak only at 4hp and drop to 3.6 to 3.7 (this is where my rpm was measured)
Its the instant power of the electric l love.
Nov 04, 2012, 01:59 PM
Team Hillbilly
Quote:
Oh yeah!!
Nov 04, 2012, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Yeah Im sure that 36 has more power. I peak only at 4hp and drop to 3.6 to 3.7 (this is where my rpm was measured)
Instant power goes a long way to getting my arse out of trouble, long live electric.
Nov 04, 2012, 03:22 PM
Do not know what RPM the HPof DLE is rated at but if it is like the Glo motors it is well above it's usefull RPM. That said your useable HP will be less than rated.

Electric motors develop torque and HP at their operating RPM so you are getting the full rated HP

Makes it difficult to do actual comparisons.

Dennis
Nov 04, 2012, 05:06 PM
TEAM TWISTED
Guys, found batteries we were thinking about running on the 70. It's an 8S setup, Castle Ice 100 and the Motrofly 4325 310 KV spinning Xoar 18x8 for starters.

This battery is made by flight power. It's rated for 50C continnuous and 100 Amp bursts. 4S 5000 Mah and comes in at 20 ounces. Will two of these be too much weight? Of course the other options are smaller but the next size down is 3600 Mah but Tower's website says that battery weighs 3 oz. more. Something is strange about that but, primarily wondering if the 5000 is too much power or too heavy to run two of them in the 70 with the setup above. I was thinking we would be best with something around 4200. The 4200 mah batts at Headsuprc look OK and we use them in the 51 but the continuous rating on the is only 25C.

What's the consensus on batts for an 8S plane?

Thanks for whatever you can offer...
Nov 04, 2012, 05:18 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
5k lipos are not to heavy. A 19x8 prop will be better for you to help over come the extra battery weight. With the 5k lipos you will most likely still come in lighter than mine (mine has a 4 ounce heavier motor, heavier wheels, repairs and so on adding weight)
Nov 04, 2012, 06:15 PM
TEAM TWISTED
Quote:
5k lipos are not to heavy. A 19x8 prop will be better for you to help over come the extra battery weight. With the 5k lipos you will most likely still come in lighter than mine (mine has a 4 ounce heavier motor, heavier wheels, repairs and so on adding weight)
Sweet. Thanks for that prompt reply. The 19 x 8 will pull more amps through the Ice 100, right? I knew we should have gone with the 120 but at the time had read only about folks with the 100 amp speed control so thought to go that route. With an 18x8 pulling 80 - 90 amps, not enough ceiling to go up to the 19 or you think it's all good? I guess we would certainly move up in terms of speed controls if it's the only way to get good 3D results out of this plane.

Quick Reply