Old Jun 25, 2016, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by DroneRequired
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2015
1,354 Posts
Help!
3s Lipo - 1 volt difference between cells!

Hi all,

After another flight on my Eachine 250 Falcon I tested my lipo to check if I could squeeze a few minutes more. But what my lipo tester told me was quite disturbing. It read:
Cell 1: 3.7, Cell 2:2.7 Cell 3: 3.6 Total: 9.9

I think the lipo tester might be out, but I;m scared to try and plug it into the charger.

What would you do?
DroneRequired is online now Find More Posts by DroneRequired
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2016, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by kamcoman
Douglasville, GA
Joined Sep 2004
599 Posts
Measure the voltage with a multi-meter to verify lipo tester accuracy.
kamcoman is online now Find More Posts by kamcoman
Old Jun 25, 2016, 09:25 PM
Joined Oct 2015
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamcoman View Post
Measure the voltage with a multi-meter to verify lipo tester accuracy.
I don't actually have a multimetre, but my charger will give me a reading of the battery's total voltage but not each cell.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
22,991 Posts
Plug it in and out a few times. Sometimes a little bit of contamination on the pins will give strange readings.

BTW, squeezing a little bit more out is a sure way to kill a battery as you now know.
Lipos should not be discharged below 3.7V/cell (resting v). 11.1V(3.7/cell) is a long way from 9.9V.

What charger are you using?
See sticky above about charging "dead" packs.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:40 PM
Joined Oct 2015
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Plug it in and out a few times. Sometimes a little bit of contamination on the pins will give strange readings.

BTW, squeezing a little bit more out is a sure way to kill a battery as you now know.
Lipos should not be discharged below 3.7V/cell (resting v). 11.1V(3.7/cell) is a long way from 9.9V.

What charger are you using?
See sticky above about charging "dead" packs.
I tested it again and the bad cell reads 3.2 volts, I charging the Lipo up now. Close call, I've learnt my lesson. Thank you for your help.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 07:12 AM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
8,372 Posts
There are several tools that every electric flier should have in the tool box.
1. Wattmeter. It's the only way you can tell exactly how much current your system demands. Without a wattmeter you can easily damage motors, ESC's and batteries.
2. Digital Volt meter. This is so that you can verify battery voltages. The cheap cell checkers are OK for a quick check but you need a decent DVM for varification.
3. A full function charger. It must balance charge, storage charge and discharge. It must report pack and cell voltages as well as charging current and mAh returned to the pack during charge. A good one will also measure Internal Resistance (IR).

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jun 27, 2016, 06:04 PM
Joined Oct 2015
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
1. Wattmeter. It's the only way you can tell exactly how much current your system demands. Without a wattmeter you can easily damage motors, ESC's and batteries.
2. Digital Volt meter. This is so that you can verify battery voltages. The cheap cell checkers are OK for a quick check but you need a decent DVM for varification.
3. A full function charger. It must balance charge, storage charge and discharge. It must report pack and cell voltages as well as charging current and mAh returned to the pack during charge. A good one will also measure Internal Resistance (IR).

Glen
Looks like I need to add few things to my shopping list.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
8,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post

Glen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneRequired View Post
Looks like I need to add few things to my shopping list.
And if you haven't already done so, read this:
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1