Old May 15, 2016, 03:03 PM
Find More Posts by patrickgw
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Feb 2008
40 Posts
Help!
Can you identify this airplane?

Hello guys,

Can anyone identify this airplane for me? I picked it up at a garage sale. The wing span is 48 inches. The length is 31 inches. It's been set up with some sort of glow engine in the nose. It has ailerons and flaps.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Patrick
patrickgw is offline Find More Posts by patrickgw
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2016, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by gerryndennis
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Jun 2008
427 Posts
G'day Patrick,

I'm pretty sure that is a Pilot Cutlass 40 from OK Model of Japan.

It would probably have been fitted with a .40 to .46 size glow engine.

The canopy and cowl have either not been fitted or are missing, but otherwise the construction, shape, number of ribs, spar layout is identical.

It actually has ailerons and elevators, not flaps.

Google 'pilot cutlass' for plenty of pictures and copies of the plan.

It's a nice model, are you planning on flying it?

Dave H
gerryndennis is online now Find More Posts by gerryndennis
Old May 16, 2016, 12:19 AM
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Feb 2008
40 Posts
Thanks so much Dave! I'll do some Google searching for more info. I plan on flying it. I'll need to know the CG location, throws, etc. I appreciate your help!

Patrick
Old May 16, 2016, 02:50 AM
Find More Posts by gerryndennis
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Jun 2008
427 Posts
Outerzone has the .20 size plan with some notes giving the throws, these would be a good guide.

The 'standard' cg position for a 60 delta is 50% of the centre rib, so half way from the firewall to the elevator hinge line or thereabouts should work fine. This would put the cg just forward of the main gear, which is exactly where you want it.

The plans show the cg quite a bit further forward than that which is a bit surprising, maybe the designer found it dificult to get the cg far enough aft?

I read some build threads where they said the model flew quite nose heavy at the plan cg.

The elevator on a delta has a very short moment arm so it's very dificult to get the model to rotate to the takeoff attitude if the gear is a long way behind the cg as it is shown in the plans.

You might want to start at the plan position (no further forward) and gradually move it aft toward the 50% position after a few flights.

One problem with Deltas is orientation, it's easy to lose track of which point of the triangle is the front one in the air. Stay close for the first few flights.

Deltas roll very quickly despite having relatively small ailerons.

They generally are set up to be a bit heavier on the elevator though. If you pull too much elevator on a delta they will get into a very high drag mode and slow down quickly. So relatively non responsive on the elevator to avoid accidentally getting into this mode. The up side is that they don't have a sharp stall, more of a high drag mush.

To get a good landing you have to slow them right down early in the approach and come in nose high balancing the drag with a bit of power (not too slow though). Land nose high and cut the power sometime just before or in the flare. The drag is very low at low angles of attack so if you try and land flat you'll either float the length of the field, or start bouncing because you had to fly it on. They bounce easily due to the short elevator moment arm (low pitch damping).

There's nothing too hard in all this, just something to be aware of before you go flying.

Sorry if I'm telling you a bunch of stuff you are already aware of but I like deltas, and I'm keen to see you enjoy yours.

Having said all that I've not actually flown one yet, but I have done a fair amount of research. So my advice is based on my reading rather than experience.

Please let us know how you get on.

Dave H
gerryndennis is online now Find More Posts by gerryndennis
Old May 16, 2016, 11:04 AM
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Feb 2008
40 Posts
Thanks Dave! Lots of great information!!!!!
Old May 24, 2016, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by Thermalin
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
4,027 Posts
The original cutlass had a much different look... this is the one i'm thinking of. But then recalled and found the pilot version... looks like it
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old May 24, 2016, 10:38 PM
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Feb 2008
40 Posts
Thank you!