Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old May 12, 2016, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by derejf
United States, CA, Loleta
Joined Sep 2003
43 Posts
Discussion
What dirt bike should I get?

I've been looking at buying a dirt bike and I finally decided on the atomik one only to find out it's no longer in production. So I was hoping you guys could help. Which bike do you guys recommend. I was thinking the skyrc but I don't like the fact that it doesn't have oil filled shocks or forks.
derejf is offline Find More Posts by derejf
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2016, 09:09 PM
Find More Posts by RCMOTOS
Joined Feb 2016
44 Posts
Hey there,

I think the new Skyrc has oil filled front forks. However i would recommend the ARX bikes, quality and parts support are much better though they still have grease filled front forks (which work very well IMO.)
RCMOTOS is online now Find More Posts by RCMOTOS
Old May 13, 2016, 12:58 AM
Find More Posts by Guidoracer
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2004
3,550 Posts
The Atomik does still exist, but in the VMX-450 egyro form. It is a much better bike than most ARx 540s, save the ARx 540 Pro, which it is even with.

http://rc-motorradshop.de/produkte/vmx450/
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old May 13, 2016, 02:25 AM
Find More Posts by derejf
United States, CA, Loleta
Joined Sep 2003
43 Posts
From what I've gathered so far the arx has a bell crank steering and doesn't preform as well in the tight corners versus the direct steering bikes and I plan to use it at the track. Plus the no oil in the shock/forks is a bummer. It's my understanding the X-Rider is a clone of the arx.
Is it true that the venom is still in production? If so does anyone know where to find one in the states? As far as I know the skyrc is the only one that you can adjust the speed of the gyro. Which is a plus in my book. The Nuova faor looks the best if it only had a e-gyro.
derejf is offline Find More Posts by derejf
Old May 13, 2016, 04:16 AM
Find More Posts by martin34
Joined Dec 2008
289 Posts
The venom is avaliable again but as far as i know you have to buy it from germany.You are rite about the x rider being an arx clone.You can get a direct steering option for the arx but i am not sure how much of an improvement it is over stock.
martin34 is online now Find More Posts by martin34
Old May 13, 2016, 08:17 AM
Joined Feb 2016
44 Posts
Having tried both the Bell crank type and the direct steer, the improvement was not as great as i would have expected. Ultimately the power of the E-gyro is your enemy when trying to turn sharper with speed.

The Trick with the 1/4 scale gyro bikes i think is hard braking into the corner then hard gas out for tight turns.

The vmx looks more scale in terms of the frame but having the rear wheel the same size as the front is not true scale for dirt bikes. It's a shame is only available through one source.
Old May 13, 2016, 08:34 AM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2004
3,550 Posts
The ARx 540 goes with direct steering in the box only for the Pro models, which is why I mentioned them above. Otherwise, they still have the same horrid forks as the lower models.

The VMX540 forks don't just look better, they are proper oil-damped forks that are world's better than the ARx ones.

Gregor's RC-Motorradshop in Germany is a very well-established business, and you should have no concerns purchasing from him, even from the U.S.

As far as the X-Rider goes, yes, it is an ARx clone, with all it's design flaws and the design flaws of the bike that ARx copied -- the Radio Shack Ricky Carmichael (yes, I'm referring to that parallel link steering and those awful forks). That said, it does work and you can have a lot of fun with it. And it's in stock at 2WheelHobbies.com with spare parts available to ship from California.
Old May 13, 2016, 09:12 AM
Joined Feb 2016
44 Posts
Oil filled shocks would be nice....Is there any way of converting the ARX forks to oil filled?

The forks are the same on the pro kit as the base with the new models. only difference i can see is the direct steering head and alloy triples...

Hopefully they update them to oil filled some day soon lol
Old May 13, 2016, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by martin34
Joined Dec 2008
289 Posts
There's a mod on YouTube where a guy fits hpi savage shocks into arx shocks.How well it works I don't know.The steering on my base arx isn't that great but I only run it in big area's so it's not really a problem but I can't imagine it getting around a track in stock form.I am going to fit a stronger steering servo tho as the stock one is very weak.
martin34 is online now Find More Posts by martin34
Old May 13, 2016, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
2,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMOTOS View Post
Hey there,

I think the new Skyrc has oil filled front forks. However i would recommend the ARX bikes, quality and parts support are much better though they still have grease filled front forks (which work very well IMO.)
It is the opposite from what I have heard - the older SKYRC SR4 version has the oil filled front forks. The newer model SR5 does not based on what I have read and seen of manual. Videos show this bike turns on a dime though.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old May 13, 2016, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
2,065 Posts
Decisions

Hard decision based on what features you want out of the box vs mods you can do. Other considerations will be cost to get parts and how easily available it is to get them. Pretty much all these bikes will benefit from an upgrade rear shock (big bore 16mm) due to heavy flywheel in rear wheel. I own the VMX from original release with e-gyro upgrade kit. Check out the video playlists I created too.

VMX450 1/4 scale
Youtube Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...-ZlrLxBf46jOmL
If you buy the new "-01" version sold by Rc-motorradshop in Germany or TaoBao in China, then it comes with an e-gyro upgrade instead of original mechanical system for the gyro in back wheel. No electronics, so you need to buy electronics to make the e-gyro work. Benefits are it comes with modern features like beadlock rims, foam tire inserts, steering damper, and direct steering. You can get parts on ebay for some items otherwise best source is from Germany or China, so either its a benefit or not depending on how much you love this bike just having parts available. Bike did required a big bore shock and e-gyro specs in back wheel need checking for proper spacing. Over 300 pages in the MM450 discussion thread on how to setup or fix this bike is a +.

ARX540 / X-RIDER BX4 1/4 scale
Youtube Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...GTyaEoRgWhYYDm
If you want nitro, the ARX is your only real option. The X-rider version is a base model ARX electric version (an original, not clone from what I heard) with e-gyro while AR sells a pro model with direct steering upgrade and e-gyro. I have not heard much benefits to the AR direct steering design. A cheap direct steering mod is possible with Phantom 400 parts. Great aspect of bike is plenty of owners and mods done to bike and parts are available albeit costs are higher depending on where you get them from. Some guys have added mods to make the bike perform better. Here's an example: http://www.rcdirtbikeaction.com/1808...0-by-themoz74/

SR4 (older model) / SR5 (newer) 1/4 scale
Youtube Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...QF2T8HzdzRW0Wv
Only things I have heard about the newer model SR5 is that the front fork design was changed so not oil filled design, like the SR4 was. Rider was changed for SR5 as well as motor KV. If you wanted the oil filled forks I suppose you could buy the SR4 forks. Bike does come with direct steering. Parts available from UK store RCbikes.co.uk or Chinese sources like Banggood. Price of this bike is probably the lowest with ebay I see direct from china to US for under $300 with free shipping. One impressive aspect I see of this bike is how quick it can turn. Looks very flickable in videos. It is unknown about quality of the SR5 parts vs SR4. Some extreme mods made to the bike as well as easier steering damper mods you can do to it. http://www.rcdirtbikeaction.com/1743...14-works-bike/
http://www.rcdirtbikeaction.com/1688...dy-for-battle/

Himoto MX400 1/4 scale
Youtube Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...LMJ_nH13CS3ytL
One of the least talked about bikes. Biggest distributor in US seems to be NitroRCX site. It comes with direct steering, dry front forks, and mechanical gyro. Design looks a bit ugly like the 1/5 Anderson M5 bike. No talk about the bike, but not many complaints either! I suspect an e-gyro of other bike could fit but the cost is too much, just buy an AR or SR bike instead.

Phantom 400 1/4 scale
Youtube Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5DdSbQJ0LM6UuD
Specs / design is based on the ARX540 with some changes mainly in the frame and it comes with direct steering and e-gyro. For the life of me I don't understand why ARX didn't just copy this direct steering and put it right back into it's own ARX bike! Anyways, its a bit difficult to get, mainly either from Chinese site TaoBao or seems popular in Thialand / Asia.

NF CSF411 1/4 scale
Youtube Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...0C5RJB2xJ9Ylot
Available in nitro or electric. While it does sell both an offroad and onroad version, it has no gyro in it so its mainly used as a supermoto racer in places like Italy. Has beautiful spoke rims and looks very cool but very limited in use.

Anderson M5 1/5 scale
Youtube Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...GvfNOP8BIF5FwW
No idea if this bike is still in production. Used to see a lot of these for sale on ebay but they are a bit expensive when they do pop up. UK seems to be the biggest source for parts as it was very popular for both offroad and supermoto racing. Smaller scale is better for smaller tracks or smoother locations and has a heavy mechanical gyro. Lots of upgrades were available including a custom e-gyro sold in Germany RC-Motorradshop, but buying them would far exceed cost of going 1/4 bike with e-gyro installed.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old May 13, 2016, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by geez
Canada, ON, Lucan
Joined Aug 2014
85 Posts
I have the MM 450 , an SR5 , and a CSF 411 . the MM450 is almost a scale bigger than the other 2 , which makes it easier to see on a track . the 450/VMX has the best /most durable rider . the SR5 handles great but the front forks [ that are not oil filled ] sound terrible when driving . the rear shock bottom is weak and gets sloppy quick . no cover for the pinion / spur gear either . adjustable gyro is a nice feature if you want to supermoto a little . the CSF 411 is absolutely gorgeous but is a real challenge to use in the dirt . my fav is the MM 450
geez is offline Find More Posts by geez
Old May 13, 2016, 04:53 PM
Joined Feb 2016
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
It is the opposite from what I have heard - the older SKYRC SR4 version has the oil filled front forks. The newer model SR5 does not based on what I have read and seen of manual. Videos show this bike turns on a dime though.
Thanks for the correction John. I wasn't aware of that.

Great write up, should make it easier to decide.

One things for certain you can bet on having some fun which ever you decide on.
Old May 13, 2016, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by chktm
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
3,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer View Post
The Atomik does still exist, but in the VMX-450 egyro form. It is a much better bike than most ARx 540s, save the ARx 540 Pro, which it is even with.

http://rc-motorradshop.de/produkte/vmx450/
Sorry Lito, gotta have my say and in my opinion the Atomik stands well above the arx pro. Modern tyre compounds and inserts, steering damper and oil forks not to mention a much slimmer chassis, and a much better turning bike. Great bike for track work. Also John, from what I saw the new VMX comes with an ESC for the e gyro.
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
Old May 13, 2016, 07:05 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2004
3,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Sorry Lito, gotta have my say and in my opinion the Atomik stands well above the arx pro. Modern tyre compounds and inserts, steering damper and oil forks not to mention a much slimmer chassis, and a much better turning bike. Great bike for track work. Also John, from what I saw the new VMX comes with an ESC for the e gyro.
Oh, I definitely prefer the MM450/e-gyro'd VMX450 over anything ARx. I'm just giving the direct-steering Pro version the benefit of the doubt, as I haven't driven an ARx with that steering config yet. I'm assuming it's better that the parallel link version.

And I have to say again, Chris, that what you do with the MM450 is magic.