gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Mar 08, 2016, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,563 Posts
Manny:

I read somewhere that it might be at Foster City, site of the IOM Worlds.

There is nothing on the AMYA website yet. Is the LBMYC location official? (Either location is too windy for my Hot Dog �� but I might come down for a day and watch if it is at Foster City).
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Last edited by FoamCrusher; Mar 10, 2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by gpzy
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher View Post
Manny:

I read somewhere that it might be at Foster City, site of the IOM Worlds.

There is nothing on the AMYA website yet. Is the LBMYC location official? (Either location is too windy for my Hot Dog �� but I might come down for a day and watch if it is at Foster City).
Now listed on the AMYA web site.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
3,450 Posts
GPZY......

Getting ready to try a build of one of Claudio D's designs for an "M". I received the template drawings today and they look like a "Sugar Scoop" hull with a maximum beam at deck level of 178 mm. and a maximum waterline beam of 169 mm.

Any chance you might have some beam dimensions for the "Hot Dog" of yours so I can make some comparisons and decide what kind of wind strength might be optimum? Appreciate any comparison specs. He is calling for a bulb weight of 3166 g.

Thanks, Dick
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 06:35 PM
Find More Posts by gpzy
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
GPZY......

Getting ready to try a build of one of Claudio D's designs for an "M". I received the template drawings today and they look like a "Sugar Scoop" hull with a maximum beam at deck level of 178 mm. and a maximum waterline beam of 169 mm.

Any chance you might have some beam dimensions for the "Hot Dog" of yours so I can make some comparisons and decide what kind of wind strength might be optimum? Appreciate any comparison specs. He is calling for a bulb weight of 3166 g.

Thanks, Dick

FoamCrusher sails the Hot Dog.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
3,450 Posts
FoamCrusher - sorry - I asked the wrong person. Any chance you have or could provide the specs for this boat (see above).

Thanks Dick

Apologies to Gpzy
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 07:11 PM
Find More Posts by modelyacht
United States, MA, Lunenburg
Joined Mar 2008
24 Posts
Shipping my M with swing rigs to CA to race over 4th of July. Its just not happening this year.
modelyacht is offline Find More Posts by modelyacht
Old Mar 17, 2016, 04:28 PM
Find More Posts by breakwater
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,722 Posts
Got enough airline miles to go back and forth 17 million times, but to get a Marblehead Cross country. Ugh.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Mar 17, 2016, 05:16 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
FoamCrusher - sorry - I asked the wrong person. Any chance you have or could provide the specs for this boat (see above).

Thanks Dick

Apologies to Gpzy
Dick: I will be glad to, but I am on the road right now and won't be home until next Wednesday.

However, I do remember that the OEM bulb is about 5.5 lbs - same size as an IOM bulb, which is what I used. The AUW is around 8.5 lbs so it is a real lightweight that does well in drifting to about mid A rig range. After that it gradually falls off pace. Of course, being hot dog shaped, the hull is all circular cross sections.

The fin is shaped 3" wide aluminium plate which adds a bit to the ballast. It sits very high in the water at rest giving it a short waterline. The hull never becomes fully submerged to its full beam which further reduces it's already low wetted surface, which is why it does so well in light winds.

Knowing this I'll leave it to you to determine just how valuable the hull dimensions will be to you, but I'll post them after I have a chance to measure them.

I also have a set BG's Indy plans, which is a modern all-around conditions design and can give you those if you want too.

FC
Old Mar 17, 2016, 05:22 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Joined Mar 2012
491 Posts
Brad Gibson is pretty clear about not wanting people to pass around the dimensions and specs from his plans to people who haven't purchased a set. It's a pretty reasonable request given how small his business is and how much he does to make plans and other help available to the r/c sailing community.
Tom Corbett is online now Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Old Mar 17, 2016, 05:54 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,563 Posts
I'll take a look on the plans to see what he says about limitations. I would never copy plans or build a second boat from plans without paying a mold fee, but it never occurred to me that a beam width, bulb weight or AUW would be proprietary.

Tom, do you have a link to where BG may have expanded beyond what it says on the plans?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:02 PM
Joined Mar 2012
491 Posts
I believe if you read the terms and conditions on BG' s web store they say "The purchased document shall not IN ANY WAY be copied altered modified distributed shared uploaded published or sold without the express written permission of the designer Brad Gibson."(emphasis added).

Seems clear to me. And as a matter of respect and simple courtesy I also believe the right thing to do before sharing any info on someone else's design is to ask for permission first.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:00 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,563 Posts
I'm not going to get into a pi$$ing match with you, Tom, over the grammar of BG's statement, but it is clear to me that statement clearly applies to the "document" (i.e. the plans) and says nothing about the dimensions as you allege.

As memory serves that is the same language that is on the plans.

That wording is there to preserve his legal right, with which I agree, to be compensated for his time and skill in creating the design and prevent unauthorized copies from being built. A single dimension as mundane as the beam width is not going to allow someone to deny his right to be compensated for his work.

I have had people pirate my software code so I understand the concern, but keep the issue within reason.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 07:09 AM
Joined Mar 2012
491 Posts
Easy way to settle what that language means is simply to ask Brad Gibson. I'm pretty sure I've got this one right....

Now back to the discussion of the M Nationals...