Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Dec 04, 2015, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by keone m.
fountain valley
Joined Jul 2008
61 Posts
Question
looking for a byron p-51 fuselage to make a mold off of it

was wondering if anyone would like to loan a clean Byron p-51 fuselage to make a mold off of it.i have all the material to do it.i don't know if there are any copyrights,but I really don't care.this plane needs to be more available in my opinion...anyways,thanks
keone m. is offline Find More Posts by keone m.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2015, 07:30 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,820 Posts
A year ago, there was a guy that wanted to start cutting out of production kits. It wasn't long before lawyers became involved.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 05, 2015, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by scale_only
on'tday eedfay ethay ollstray
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
5,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
A year ago, there was a guy that wanted to start cutting out of production kits. It wasn't long before lawyers became involved.
Who's lawyers? Iron Bay?
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Dec 05, 2015, 08:08 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,820 Posts
A year ago ? Iron Bay wasn't involved with what that guy was trying to do.

My point is that some one owns the rights to the Byron designs. It's best to get their permission if one wants to produce fuselages from their design.
Old Dec 05, 2015, 08:14 AM
Find More Posts by scale_only
on'tday eedfay ethay ollstray
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
5,161 Posts
Then who was involved?
Seems to me Iron Bay still owns those rights since they bought the right to produce/distribute those planes.
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Dec 05, 2015, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by keone m.
fountain valley
Joined Jul 2008
61 Posts
Quote:
then they can take me to court.ill just change a panel line in the mold so its not the same.im not trying to make money.just want to make the plane more available
keone m. is offline Find More Posts by keone m.
Old Dec 09, 2015, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
9,273 Posts
Why not just make your own? besides the Byron is not super scale...FYI I have one new in the box.
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Dec 09, 2015, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by exf3bguy
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2011
2,963 Posts
I beleive Byron is still in business making fuel. If so any use of the name Byron when describing a " reverse engineered " product is where the copyright infringement would happen. There is a guy who has been making molds and kits of out of production pattern airplanes and has not apparently been having issues doing so. Then again he is not using the manufacturers name only the name of the airplane. He is also not making anything where the company still somewhat exists.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 09, 2015, 01:50 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy View Post
I beleive Byron is still in business making fuel. If so any use of the name Byron when describing a " reverse engineered " product is where the copyright infringement would happen. There is a guy who has been making molds and kits of out of production pattern airplanes and has not apparently been having issues doing so. Then again he is not using the manufacturers name only the name of the airplane. He is also not making anything where the company still somewhat exists.
I have seen aftermarket fuselages successfully produced without incident. They were marketed as a "fiberglass fuselage that will fit a *** wing".

This may be a way to get around any conflicts.

The incident I was referring to was when a guy said that he was going to produce kits that were out of production. He was using the individual kit manufacturers' names.
Old Dec 09, 2015, 02:05 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,963 Posts
Quote:
I have seen aftermarket fuselages successfully produced without incident. They were marketed as a "fiberglass fuselage that will fit a *** wing".

This may be a way to get around any conflicts.

The incident I was referring to was when a guy said that he was going to produce kits that were out of production. He was using the individual kit manufacturers' names.

Exactly, almost impossible to copyright a shape but using a copy written name is a no no.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
double post
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Last edited by packardpursuit; Dec 11, 2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: double post
Old Dec 11, 2015, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Joined Jan 2009
2,074 Posts
"Exactly, almost impossible to copyright a shape but using a copy written name is a no no."

A n original sculpted shape, no different than a painting or song, etc is EXACTLY meant to be protected by copyright! This doesn't mean Byon's P-51 shape is so protected, though it may be. If it is protected by claim, it's probably not under copyright. Brand Names and registered Trademark protections are somewhat different.

"Protection " itself is a rather misleading concept. It is un-enforcable until or unless a court finds claimed protection exists for a specific instance. Threat of court proceedings is often enough to discourage infringement, real and/or perceived.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Dec 11, 2015, 06:42 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,963 Posts
I see what you are saying but that would be a difficult concept for a.prosecuting lawyer to prove. Byron would also have to prove damages. The OP could easily make the fuselages out of epoxy glass rather then polyester and have laser cut wood wings and tail and its a completly different kit. A jury or judge is not going to have a clue otherwise, a 1/5 P51 is going to look the same no matter where it came from in their eyes.