SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2008, 01:43 PM
foamanologist
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Apr 2006
938 Posts
Discussion
Need help with torque rods please.

I for some reason cannot get my torque rods to work right. Is there a way anyone can show me that works well?

Matt
customminatures is offline Find More Posts by customminatures
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2008, 06:49 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,256 Posts
Torque rods is a pretty generic description. We can help you if you can be more specific.

Describe what you are having trouble with in detail, and we'd be happy to help.
356Jim is online now Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Nov 06, 2008, 08:16 PM
foamanologist
Joined Apr 2006
938 Posts
Maybe I am calling what it is the wrong thing......! I am talking about the cf rod that is attached to the ailerons so the the control horns are inside the fuse. I cant figure out a good mounting method. Maybe someone can post some pictures of there mounting methods. Its mainly because I am still working on my semi-scale jets and I dont like the look of control rods running out of the sides of the fuse.

Thanks,
Matt
Old Nov 06, 2008, 08:34 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,638 Posts
Hi Matt,
Look here, is this what you're talking about? I used carbon tube and pins for piviots.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889440
Mike
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Nov 06, 2008, 09:44 PM
foamanologist
Joined Apr 2006
938 Posts
I built this from a few 3 views I found on the net. 9" ws Hellcat

Id like to put the ailerons near the wing tips, but not the entire length of the wing. How do you guys run the cf rod from the fuse to the ailerons? Ive tried it with guides installed in the foam, under the wing. Am I doing something wrong? They are just never smooth and free moving.
Old Nov 06, 2008, 09:59 PM
Joined May 2001
2,256 Posts
Your torque rods should be in line with the trailing edge of the wing, coaxial with the leading edge of the aileron. The torque rod should be a straight shot from the fuse out to the aileron. If not, you'll have the problems that you described.

I have built larger planes with torque rod activated ailerons, and micro/indoor planes will work the same way. Just be very careful with placement and geometry.
Old Nov 06, 2008, 10:01 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,638 Posts
The axis of the rod needs to be on the same axis as the hinge. It needs to be a straight line through the center of the hinges and the center of the rod. I don't have good luck with tape hinges and torque rods, I can never get the hinge line and rod lined up well enough.

It's the same as a strip aileron except the aileron is shorter and the torque rod is longer.
Mike
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Nov 06, 2008, 10:21 PM
Joined May 2001
2,256 Posts
Your torque rods should be in line with the trailing edge of the wing, coaxial with the leading edge of the aileron. The torque rod should be a straight shot from the fuse out to the aileron. If not, you'll have the problems that you described.

I have built larger planes with torque rod activated ailerons, and micro/indoor planes will work the same way. Just be very careful with placement and geometry.