SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2007, 09:24 AM
Custom User Title
Cary, NC
Joined Oct 2007
269 Posts
Discussion
Greetings

An introduction of sorts: I have a coworker that showed me a few of his films from his home-built RC planes and I was just blown away by them.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/search/?search=imflyer

I started talking shop with him earlier this week, and started surfing around the vendor sites and looking for beginner planes.

To make a long story short, and not bore you with the research phase, I stumbled upon BosTom's brushless upgrade to his hybrid WD3/4, and that is the route I am going to take. I really like the concept of the plane being durable, lightweight, and with a couple minor tweaks and blast to pilot. His videos are outstanding.

I’m duplicating his build, and, per the advice of, my ‘adviser’ we’ll call him [my wife would call him ‘the enabler’], went with the Spektrum DX7. I am also thinking about a Black paint scheme via Krylon H20 foam safe latex; I'll read up on that in the Painting and Finishing Tips. This community is huge.

The WD is on back order until 11/2, but I made most all of my get-started purchases last night. The waiting begins, but that'll give me plenty of time to lurk and Search.

-Anders0n
Anders0n is offline Find More Posts by Anders0n
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:16 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,522 Posts
Welcome to RCgroups! Sounds like you have someone on hand to help you get started. That sure makes things easier.
Be sure to post pics of your projects! We never get tired of seeing what others are doing.
By the way, What part of the country are you in? I bet there is someone on this board not far from you. We are everywhere!
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:42 AM
Custom User Title
Cary, NC
Joined Oct 2007
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc
Welcome to RCgroups! Sounds like you have someone on hand to help you get started. That sure makes things easier.
Be sure to post pics of your projects! We never get tired of seeing what others are doing.
By the way, What part of the country are you in? I bet there is someone on this board not far from you. We are everywhere!
Wes
Thanks. Yep; I am a documenter so I'll have plenty of pics, althought they won't be anything you guys haven't seen. I am in NC, and am reaching out to a couple others that I've been able to identfy that are in the area.
Anders0n is offline Find More Posts by Anders0n
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:46 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,679 Posts
Hi Anders0n,

While you are waiting for your WD4, take a few days and read through the Wing Dragon/Wing Dragon 4/Begin-Air Series Planes Tips & Tricks. I'm sure you'll find enough to keep you busy during your non-flying hours and some great modifications you can do during the winter months.

-Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:53 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Welcome aboard... Can't wait for your stuff to come in, so we can start working on it.

LittleG (the enabler)
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG