HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2014, 04:00 PM
Joined Oct 2008
77 Posts
Discussion
RC Modeler Magazines/articles are available to you

Hello all,

I finally completed a labor of love that took three years in the making. When I first got started in RC modeling, I would pick up Radio Control Modeler Magazine and read the articles in it from cover to cover and repeat. Well, this was during my college days and I needed to make a decision between finishing school or building more airplanes. After completing my degree, I got back into building and flying RC planes. I ordered a set of plans from RCMplans.com (when they were still faithful in getting their plans out to customers) and I was looking for a build article for the F-117 (February 1997 issue) and I asked if anybody could send me a scanned copy of the article. Well, all I got was that I could pay for the article or buy the magazine from individuals. I thought that this was not very helpful so I decided to look on EBAY and I found and obtained the magazine. I read the magazine from cover to cover and I remember how much I enjoyed the magazine. I decided to see if I could order more RC Modeler Magazines to read. After acquiring a fair number of magazines, I decided that I would scan the magazines and convert them into PDFs for easy storage and retrieval. Long story short, I have acquired, scanned and converted them all into PDFs. All the issues from October 1963 to June 2005. Along the way, I have also collected Model Aviation, Model Airplane News and Flying Model magazines, all of which have been scanned to PDF. So, if you are looking for an article, a review, a build article or whatever, please let me know and I will upload the article so that you and anybody else can enjoy it.

Happy flying and soft landings!
ser001 is offline Find More Posts by ser001
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2014, 04:27 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,316 Posts
Having started such a project at least three times I can only imagine the time you have put into this labour of love. I doff my hat in appreciation and gratitude.

Nothing I need at the moment that I don't already have in hard copy. But I'm sure this will be a great service for others looking for items.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Feb 25, 2014, 05:49 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,660 Posts
+1 on the comments by Bruce. A very welcome source of building information. Thank you.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Feb 25, 2014, 06:19 PM
Joined Oct 2008
77 Posts
I just wish that I had the website space to host all these magazines (450+) so that anybody can have these. The total space for all of them is 19.7gb (all magazines scanned in full color, 200dpi and full page advertisements removed). I just wish that I would have kept as many of the plans as I could from the magazines since it seems that RCMplans has not been meeting their obligations. I think that I have about 100 magazine plan originals that I kept. I want to go ahead and rescan these at 1600dpi and resize them to full size plans. I have done this for about 13 plans so far.I really hope that AMA is able to purchase RCM plans and keep that valuable source of modeling history.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 06:30 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,054 Posts
19g isn't that big for a server. The outerzone files are around 5g.

The bigger chores are to provide thumbnails for people to browse, and a reasonable search engine.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 25, 2014, 07:40 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser001 View Post
I just wish that I had the website space to host all these magazines (450+) so that anybody can have these.
Wow. A mind-boggling effort. Even without the ads (which, at one point, made up over 80% of the magazine content).

If you're so inclined, a discussion with Steve at Outerzone about possibly hosting some or all of the plan scans (not the full magazines) might be useful. There are plenty of guys who would be happy to process the 8x11 scans into full-sized PDFs and resubmit them for anyone to download, print, and build from.

Just a thought.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Feb 26, 2014, 06:57 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,837 Posts
I collect plans for two reasons:

1. To scale up or down the models' outlines. I then re-engineer their innards for the new size and for modern Electric power.

2. To use as a reference when drawing a new model. Often times, when I'm trying to figure out how to do some engineering, it really helps to see how other folks did it.

So, I'd be very interested and willing to pay for access to scans of the old RCM plans.

CD
Captain Dunsel is online now Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Feb 26, 2014, 08:39 PM
Joined Oct 2008
77 Posts
To all,
Since each magazine has been scanned, the plans have also been scanned. Anybody and everybody is welcome to the articles with the scanned plans still in them. The PDFs were scanned at 200dpi. To expand the plans into full size plans is a hit or miss some of the times. I have taken some and made them full size (Invictus II, below, for example) with great success. Others just do not have enough detail in the small writing to get full size plans. Also, any set of plans that covered two pages in the magazine will have the part missing at the spine of the magazine. There are a few plans that I carefully remove the pages by removing the staples so I could get the full plan. I plan in the months to come to scan all the original 8"x11" magazine plans at 1600 DPI and upsize them to full scale. I have also thought about making these plans available at outerzone.com.

Last edited by ser001; Mar 25, 2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 09:28 PM
Joined Oct 2008
77 Posts
Hi all,

I wanted to give this out to everybody. Below is the Crusader II. This plane was on the cover of the very first RCM magazine that I saw on the newsstand and the first issue that I bought. I told myself that I would build this someday and I am slowly in the process of doing it. I think that it is a beautiful plane and a great example as to why people scratch build planes still. In a world of look-a-like ARFS, this plane truly stands out! The build article was too large to upload so I optimized it and shrunk it to 1/3rd its size. Enjoy!

Last edited by ser001; Mar 25, 2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:58 PM
USA, MD, Joppa
Joined Jul 2003
79 Posts
I would love to get a copy of the build article and plan to the Bokkie. I believe it was published in the February 1971 issue of RCM.

Thanks
Sam
Sam Harbold is offline Find More Posts by Sam Harbold
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:22 PM
Joined Oct 2008
77 Posts
Hi Sam,

Here is the build article. The 200 DPI scanned plan is inside it. It looks like it is good enough to make full size. I will look through the original magazine plan pages to see if I saved this plan. Enjoy!

Last edited by ser001; Mar 25, 2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:27 PM
USA, MD, Joppa
Joined Jul 2003
79 Posts
Thanks so much!!
Sam Harbold is offline Find More Posts by Sam Harbold
Old Feb 27, 2014, 06:46 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,660 Posts
Thank you! Would you have the Gee Bee Zeta available as a PDF?

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Feb 27, 2014, 07:30 AM
Joined Oct 2008
77 Posts
Hi Piperjoe,

Here you go sir. Enjoy!

Old Feb 27, 2014, 09:21 AM
Joined Oct 2008
77 Posts
HI Sam,

Here is the scanned plan for the Bokkie. Enjoy!