HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2014, 03:16 PM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
Contest
SVSS 2014 Davis XC Contest, APRIL 5-6

OK…..

Date for the SVSS (Sacramento Valley Soaring Society) 2014 Davis Spring XC race is March 29-30. If the weather forecast shows rain or wind above about 10+mph the date will be postponed and moved out one week to April 5-6. I will post here and send out an email on the Wednesday afternoon preceding the contest weekend as to whether its go or no-go.

Courses will be 24 mile on Saturday, 18 on Sunday (both speed). I’ll have maps for everyone. Scoring will be Turnpoint GPS speed as usual. Please have your GPS (a second on board backup GPS unit is always a good idea). There will be more legal corner cuts, more race strategizing, less of those pesky TP cylinders to stress over.

This is our only XC race prior to Montague so hope to see everyone there. I've already PM'd the usual suspects, anyone new to this please PM me and I will add you to my email list.

Who knows, maybe we will see a new team??

Steve Henke

ETA: maps attached. I will provide color maps printed off the original .tiff files which are much better quality than prints off these jpegs
Will also provide road mileage and directions for the drivers

Pilots meeting is 9:30am. Entry fee is $25 per team.

ETA: 3/26/14
Looks like the storms are going to continue into the weekend Saturday 3/26. Contest is moved out one week to the backup date 4/5-6. pray to the weather gods

ETA: 4/2/14
Contest is a GO! Weather looks good for this weekend, a definate warming trend so could be pretty dynamic with good visibility I hope.
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Last edited by TrekBiker; Apr 02, 2014 at 05:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:02 PM
United States, OR, Medford
Joined Jun 2006
64 Posts
Thanks Steve look forward to it
rwemacs is offline Find More Posts by rwemacs
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:16 PM
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
Six teams have confirmed so far. Still have my fingers crossed that a new team will magically appear (you hear me out there in Arizona Jeff??)

John Ellias will be racing his X2xc (4m extended boom F3J Xplorer2 loaded to 176 oz ) That should be interesting after his impressive performance last year at Cal Valley. Bill and I will fly Super (lucky) Supra (still has 5 lives left out of the original 9). Greg N. #11???? He is building like crazy but not sure so probably the original #10. The rest are all MXC's I think.

I have been communicating with John and think I now have a better understanding of the Winscore program we use to score races (same as full scale XC races). I will be setting up a base map for SVSS Davis in the same way Montague and Cal Valley are set up with permanently assigned control/turn points. Can use this base map to build up a library of various courses. Will post course maps sometime next couple weeks.

I really enjoyed the short Goal and Return Montague course out to TP9 (school) as you can see all the teams on course and some really good head to head matches often set up. Maybe we'll try something like that for Sunday this time.

Steve
Last edited by TrekBiker; Feb 28, 2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 04:24 PM
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
courses

Courses posted.

After several communications with John Ellias I think I finally have a handle on how Winscore works. Winscore is a full scale sailplane race scoring program that we have been using for our west coast races for several year now. To set up a race course you first need a base map with all desired control points. Control points are points on the map that designate the start, finish and turnpoints. You can have as many control points on the base map as you wish but can only use a maximum of 11 for the actual race course. This maximum of 11 includes the start and finish point so out on course you are limited to a maximum of 9 turnpoints. Any control point can be the start or finish. The start and finish can be designated as planes oriented in specific directions, north-south, east-west, etc. The length of the start and finish planes can be anything you want but usually a half mile to either side is more than enough. Out on course the control points chosen to be designated turn points are cylinders with a 0.2 mile radius. A 0.2 radius seems huge and it is when your are flying at lower altitudes as you make the turn but at very high altitudes that 0.2 radius (0.4 diameter) can get pretty small. All the regular west coast teams now have enough experience with this system that it is pretty rare that a turn point (TP) is missed.

Attached are the base map, Saturdays race course and Sundays race course.

For Saturday the course is 24 miles (straight line miles between turn points). The road miles are 28. The course has 8 turnpoints and 10 legal cuts. A legal cut is a road corner that is not a turn point. The race is scored in straight line air miles between the designated turnpoints. Pilots can fly as deep into the legal cut corners as they dare. I think all of us have learned the hard way that caution and judgement are critical when it comes to cutting the corners. I personally have lost visual several times cutting corners so I am a little more conservative than I used to be. The glider can get real small real fast when you cut a corner too far and the angle changes so that there is a lot less surface area to see. Cutting the corners can save time and increase average race speed but some skill is needed or you can end up chasing a glider that is suddenly waaay ahead of your chase vehicle. That can make for some excitement.

For Sunday the course is 18 air miles, 21 road miles. The course has 5 turn points and 5 legal cuts. Most of this course is a there and back along the same roads which means the teams can all see, pass, race head to head more easily.

I will provide color copies of the course maps printed off the original .tiff files which are much better quality than printing off these jpegs. Road directions and miles will also be provided for team drivers

steve
Last edited by TrekBiker; Mar 12, 2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 01:40 PM
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
Update

Looks like the storms are going to continue into the weekend. Contest is moved out one week to the backup date 4/5-6.

Steve
Old Apr 02, 2014, 05:07 PM
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
Contest is a GO. Weather looks good for this weekend, a definate warming trend so could be pretty dynamic with good visibility I hope. I still remember our XC contest a few years back when we were still doing distance and the air was so clear we could fly to over a mile high and we were flying in and around the clouds. I think Greg's team set the distance record of 90 miles that day, could have been even more but a big rain cloud knocked him down

Steve
Old Apr 02, 2014, 06:54 PM
Joined Jan 2005
267 Posts
If anybody needs one, I have at least 1 extra gps logger to lend out.

John
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Old Apr 09, 2014, 01:19 PM
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
Scores

Well.... what can I say. It was brutal. Saturday the wind came up early but all teams managed to make it off the field and onto the course. My team landed out twice with only a few miles and it was not looking good. On our third attempt with Larry Jolly on the sticks the wind started to die off around 3pm and our hopes came alive. We got into trouble at the same exact spot we landed out on our first flight but Larry managed to pull off an incredible save right off the rooftop of a ranchhouse. There were a few more dicey moments but we managed to complete the course. John Ellias flying his experimental X2xc also completed the course on saturday (20 minutes faster than us and in worse conditions!)

Sunday the wind came up with a vengeance. 20+ mph gusts. Only two teams managed to get off the field at all and both of them were the highly loaded custom designs, Greg Norsworthy's XC#10 at 17 oz/ft and John's X2xc at 19 oz/ft. Contrast that with max 5kg loading of 15 oz/ft for my team's Super Supra and around 14.5 oz/ft for the fully loaded MXC's.

The cutoff time was 3pm so there was no option of waiting till the wind died. With 6 teams and two days of competition there were only 2 course completions. That is TOUGH conditions. SVSS is going to have some discussions about maybe moving our event to the fall in the future.

There was one bright spot to this event that I feel is very important and will have truly earth shaking consequences for the future of RC Cross Country racing and that is what John Ellias has done with his experimental X2xc.
The conditions were as tough as I've ever seen at an XC event but they proved perfect to really test John's theory of using a highly loaded (174 oz!!!) 4 meter F3J machine like the Xplorer2. For wind and low topping thermals spaced very widely apart it could have the advantage and he pretty well proved this to be the case. That he could beat upwind in 20+mph headwinds for over 4 miles on Sunday's course seems unbelievable to me.

This is a real game changer and the other teams definately took notice. My team is going to head that design direction and I'm sure others will as well. Montague will be the final test for the X2xc with likely low wind unlimited lift conditions on at least one of the four days but for me the verdict is already in. Designs like John's modified X2xc are the future for us, at least for our west coast speed task type XC flying (distance tasks are pretty much dead here)

John's X2xc thread here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1962639

event scores attached

Steve
Last edited by TrekBiker; Apr 09, 2014 at 01:27 PM.