SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2013, 06:42 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneM View Post
That is on Balsa ARFs, it is damn near impossible to get a good bond with just foam and CA without the kicker.
Incorrect, thin CA and kicker as used on hinges is not a good idea. Thin or Superthin CA and any kicker is asking for chemical burning. Bad advice. Sorry, but I cannot let that kicker and thin CA idea be posted as a good idea on foam or balsa.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2013, 06:57 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Incorrect, thin CA and kicker as used on hinges is not a good idea. Thin or Superthin CA and any kicker is asking for chemical burning. Bad advice. Sorry, but I cannot let that kicker and thin CA idea be posted as a good idea on foam or balsa.
I can only speak for myself, I used thin CA let it soak for a few seconds and then hit with kicker, it ain't going anywhere.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Nov 03, 2013, 06:59 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
I can only speak for myself, I used thin CA let it soak for a few seconds and then hit with kicker, it ain't going anywhere.
Stay with that brand because what I use the Superthin and thin will smoke and overheat.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2013, 07:16 PM
dannylooper
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
I used medium CA with no kicker just let it dry mines fine

I wicked the hinges, drops in the holes then stabbed it

I did a pre stab before gluing just to make sure the fit was proper
flybydanny is online now Find More Posts by flybydanny
Old Nov 03, 2013, 07:25 PM
Just. Keep. Flying.
United States, UT, Alpine
Joined Mar 2012
21 Posts
You know it's probably a bit early on to be asking this, but here goes. It's gonna start snowing here any day now, so does anyone have any ideas about putting skis on this plane? A CZC on skis = Awesome .

EDIT: Maybe these would work: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._60_size_.html
T_S_H is offline Find More Posts by T_S_H
Last edited by T_S_H; Nov 03, 2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2013, 07:28 PM
Living The Dream in Bris Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybydanny View Post
I used medium CA with no kicker just let it dry mines fine

I wicked the hinges, drops in the holes then stabbed it

I did a pre stab before gluing just to make sure the fit was proper
+1 here to, my thin CA (HK labelled BSI product) sets very quickly on it's own, sometimes way too quick
ohaussie is offline Find More Posts by ohaussie
Old Nov 03, 2013, 07:36 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
AR635 set up for PNP Z-Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcop View Post
Just a few things to note. I'm flying with the recommended 3200's and 5000's, I have the 3200's centered on the tray and it's perfect. I moved the 5000's back until they hit the ittle bump in the bottom of the fuse, they're half way back on the tray and you can only use one strap. The 5000 feels great there and honestly, if you're flying with AS3X it will compensate for the CG change to an extent, it will make a plane that could be nose or tail heavy bot feel so nose or tail heavy.

I got the Plug and Play version so the receiver was separate. If this is the route you go it's important to take the following steps with the 635. Set your Radio end points to what the Carbon Z Cub manual says, 125% end points on Elevator, Aileron, Rudder and Flaps. Make sure you read the instructions for the receiver for the next steps. I will also attach a link to John Redman's programming video, it's very easy to follow and understand. If you have already installed your prop go ahead and remove it for safety during programming. You will need to program the receiver to sport mode first. Once you are in sport mode go ahead and throttle up slightly to engage the AS3X, it only takes a quick blip of the throttle. Now the most important part, check the sensing motion of the receiver. You will find that the ailerons are set correctly, but the elevator and rudder are backwards, if you don't change the sensing direction your flight will more than likely only last a few seconds. You can change the sensing motion while programing the gain, I believe the default gain in sport mode is 70% on all three axis. Remember the gear switch is the default gain mode, rate switch with this receiver, make sure when setting the sensing motion and gain you do so with the switch in both positions, John will talk about this in the video. When you program the gain go ahead and set it to 80% on all three axis, this is how the BNF is programmed out of the box. Once you have everything programmed you will notice that the rate are the same between both switch settings, that is preset and can't be programed differently on the gear switch. however you can go ahead and set up a flight mode or regular dual rates on the switch you desire. Now you can set the dual rate percentages to what Quique recommends in the manual, low rate 70% all around and high rate 100%. You can adjust this to what ever you like but you have to keep the percentages between 50 and 100% in order for the AS3X to function properly. Now you can leave the gear switch in either position, the gain and throw is the same either way, so you rates switch will do whatever adjustments you need. I'm using 20% expo high rate 10% low rate on the ailerons and elevators and 20% expo on high and low rate rudder. I will still play with the expo more, it may not even need that much.

I'm very happy with the recommended rate and settings, the plane flies so great with these settings, slow rolls, 4 and 8 point rolls are so easy, I maintains a slow knife edge with authority and well!! I have had no issues hovering either, locks in well and stays there with minimal inputs. I use my flaps when first entering the hover then shut them off as soon as the plane is vertical, it allows a very slow, stable entry but doesn't have to be done this way. The only thing I did slightly different in the radio setup was the flap system, I have a 50% setting with 20% down elevator mix and full flaps with 30% down elevator mix, so far I have found the mix percentages to be perfect for my setup.

Hope this helps anyone setting their Cubs up, you are going to love this plane when you get it in the air!!

John Redman AS3X set up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ALhC0H5R-M

Lee Morey
Team Horizon
Lee.. Thanks for the information .. I also spent several hours on Saturday programing the AR-635 as my vendor messed up my order and sent me the PNP instead of the BNF.. Oh well.. education is good I guess.. I called you guys twice on Sat.. And neither time the tech guys could tell me what set-up was in the PNP version.. SO I went with the Sport Mode as a starting point.. I see you increased your gains up by 10% to 80%.. I also noted that both the elevator and rudder were reversed so you had to move the settings 14 times to the left to make it right.. ALL is working correctly now in both postions of the gear switch.. I hope you all will post on your website the exact setting of the PNP for future guys like me.. HH gave me great assistance when I called and thanks again for your post...
Vern1960 is offline Find More Posts by Vern1960
Old Nov 03, 2013, 07:38 PM
Joined Oct 2013
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_H View Post
You know it's probably a bit early on to be asking this, but here goes. It's gonna start snowing here any day now, so does anyone have any ideas about putting skis on this plane? A CZC on skis = Awesome .
hi..does the prop have enough clearance i wonder,with skis on.......
JohnD14 is offline Find More Posts by JohnD14
Old Nov 03, 2013, 07:40 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
Painted the fuselage with the Pledge Floor Care this afternoon. Looks awesome! Very easy and I just used a sponge brush. I've had some of this for a while. I use it to thin paint when I airbrush my foamies. The difference really is noticeable and makes the colors really pop. Even makes the white foam look better. Time will tell how well it holds up. Pics of the airplane are several hours after it dried. The shine is impressive.
Tim H. is offline Find More Posts by Tim H.
Old Nov 03, 2013, 07:41 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern1960 View Post
Lee.. Thanks for the information and glad I was not the only one learning the 635 manual.. I also spent several hours on Saturday programing the AR-635 as my vendor messed up my order and sent me the PNP instead of the BNF.. Oh well.. education is good I guess.. I called the guys at HH twice on Sat.. And neither time the tech guys could tell me what set-up was in the PNP version.. SO I went with the Sport Mode as a starting point.. I see you increased your gains up by 10% to 80%.. I also noted that both the elevator and rudder were reversed so you had to move the settings 14 times to the left to make it right.. ALL is working correctly now in both postions of the gear switch.. and I asked HH to please provide the exact setting of the PNP for future use soon on their website.. I hope they do..Again, Thanks for your post...
Unless I am having a brain cramp, the PNP has no receiver so there would be no setting for receiver AR 635. You must mean you wanted to know what the BNF AR635 setups are for CZC should you want to duplicate the setup of the BNF in your PNP.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2013, 07:46 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,226 Posts
From today at the Horizon Hobby (JR) indoor event.
E-Flite Carbon Z Cub (4 min 20 sec)
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Nov 03, 2013, 07:51 PM
Just. Keep. Flying.
United States, UT, Alpine
Joined Mar 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD14 View Post
hi..does the prop have enough clearance i wonder,with skis on.......
I haven't even gotten my cub yet, so I wouldn't know . Good question though.
T_S_H is offline Find More Posts by T_S_H
Old Nov 03, 2013, 07:54 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Unless I am having a brain cramp, the PNP has no receiver so there would be no setting for receiver AR 635. You must mean you wanted to know what the BNF AR635 setups are for CZC should you want to duplicate the setup of the BNF in your PNP.
I'm guessing that he did what I did, and had to buy the AR635 separately.

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Nov 03, 2013, 07:57 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
I never, EVER kick thin CA in CA hinges on balsa, mainly because the CA bonds with balsa very quickly and well since it's organic based. HOWEVER on foam it's a different story, and I also had to kick my application of thin CA (ZAP brand) for the rudder hinges on this plane. I waited 20 minutes and it was still wet. In fact, if you read instructions for foam safe CA, it says very clearly that the CA may not bond properly WITHOUT the use of kicker. In the case of foam, CA has nothing organic to bond with, so most of the time at least a little kicker is needed to get it to bond.

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Nov 03, 2013, 08:00 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
I never, EVER kick thin CA in CA hinges on balsa, mainly because the CA bonds with balsa very quickly and well since it's organic based. HOWEVER on foam it's a different story, and I also had to kick my application of thin CA (ZAP brand) for the rudder hinges on this plane. I waited 20 minutes and it was still wet. In fact, if you read instructions for foam safe CA, it says very clearly that the CA may not bond properly WITHOUT the use of kicker. In the case of foam, CA has nothing organic to bond with, so most of the time at least a little kicker is needed to get it to bond.

Tom
Try BSI brand it works well. Check out Bob Smith Industries FAQs.
RCG Plus Member