SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Today, 07:28 AM
United States, LA, Jena
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
Landing Help

Lol.. No that's a good question for me. It is on correct though. I have flown it five times and I landed it where it rolled on the wheels one time. All the others ended up on the nose. Thanks for any more advice!

Jonathan
sperry12 is offline Find More Posts by sperry12
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 10:07 AM
The flying snake
United States, CO, Thornton
Joined Sep 2013
920 Posts
With mine the only way I can get it to land and roll is to land nose up then give it full down elevator once on terra firma
Grandpa strap is online now Find More Posts by Grandpa strap
Old Today, 11:10 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry12 View Post
I have flown it five times and I landed it where it rolled on the wheels one time. All the others ended up on the nose. Thanks for any more advice!

Jonathan
That's a pretty good ratio if you ask me. I fly off a gravel soccer field and I always nose in, maybe once I had a sweet rollout and I consider myself an above average pilot. The problem is that the gravel at my field has just enough iron in it that when the motor touches the gravel it gets stuck in the magnets. I know this because it gets stuck on the canopy magnets all the time.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Today, 11:24 AM
United States, LA, Jena
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
Landing The Yak

I appreciate all the responses! I love that thing in the air, but not so much on the deck. It's tough for me to get help with my location so I'm going to start using this forum more! Could someone tell me maybe the first move I should learn to become a 3d pilot? Thanks for any help.

Jonathan
Old Today, 11:31 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry12 View Post
I appreciate all the responses! I love that thing in the air, but not so much on the deck. It's tough for me to get help with my location so I'm going to start using this forum more! Could someone tell me maybe the first move I should learn to become a 3d pilot? Thanks for any help.

Jonathan
1st step learn how to harrier. I promise you though these UMX birds are not the way to go for learning "real" 3d. They're stabilized, have next to no mass, and are extremely difficult to do 3D on compared to a much larger (48" at least) balsa or even foam plane, or one of the 32" Crack series from Twisted Hobbys like a crack yak or mxs-c.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Today, 11:34 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
560 Posts
I'd say, to put your battery back in the compartment, max out your rates, take it up a few mistakes high and try some hovering. That said, this is not an easy plane to hover. I can hover my 32" profile EPP foamy for ages, but can only do a few seconds with the Yak. You may want to also move your pushrods closer to to the wing in the control horns to give you more through for hovering and 3D. Have fun.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Today, 02:09 PM
United States, LA, Jena
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
Umx yak

I appreciate all the great advice. Thank y'all very much.

Jonathan
Old Today, 02:17 PM
The flying snake
United States, CO, Thornton
Joined Sep 2013
920 Posts
I second the TH crack mxs-c. Great 3d foamie
Grandpa strap is online now Find More Posts by Grandpa strap
Old Today, 03:48 PM
United States, LA, Jena
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
Help

I know this question doesn't belong here but I know knowledgable people are keeping up with this thread. Ok so I'm trying to become proficient at this hobby I love and I want to start doing more complicated things.... If my model is pulling hard to the landing gear in a knife edge position I could let my transmitter help me some. Right? I have a dx8. I need to mix in up elevator with right aileron control. Does someone know how I might do this? Thanks.

Jonathan
Old Today, 04:05 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,146 Posts
You'll be better off mixing the elevator to the rudder. The rudder needs to be held in KE, a well balanced plane needs no (if any) aileron while in knife edge flight.

That's the key though...
A well balanced airframe should need little if any elevator in knife edge!

Find the ideal neutral CG and it will behave much better
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Today, 04:07 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,657 Posts
Jonathan,

The KE test is one method of adjusting the CG. Trim for level flight at 80%-100% power, then roll to KE. If the plane pulls toward the canopy, it's nose-heavy. If it tucks toward the belly, it's tail-heavy. The inverted flight test is another method. Trim for level flight at 80%-100% power, roll inverted, and don't touch the elevator. If the plane dives, it's nose-heavy. If it climbs, it's tail-heavy. If it continues on its path, it's slightly tail-heavy. If it takes just a hint of down-elevator to maintain altitude, the CG is at the sweet-spot. This assumes that the decalage & thrust-line are correct. However, CG, decalage, and thrust-line issues have similar symptoms in normal flight, so there are flight-tests specifically designed for determining root-cause.

For details, see my flight-trimming guide for aerobatic planes. I explain the finer points of trimming & balancing aerobatic ships, and the theory behind it. Be sure to check out the attached flight-trimming troubleshooting chart, courtesy of the NSRCA (National Society of Radio Controlled Aerobatics). Follow the steps in order to determine if it's a CG, decalage, or thrust-line issue.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 05:17 PM
United States, LA, Jena
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
Thanks!

Hey appreciate all that! Joel, that's an awesome link thank you for that. I'll study that for a few days to get my noggin wrapped around it. That's what I needed!