SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 27, 2013, 07:14 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,475 Posts
Question
Anyone tried repairing a prop ?

update: it's a black regular plastic prop.....

-------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 2: is this a stupidest idea....? (i'm starting to think so)
-------------------------------------------------

I have a cessna from art-tech 182 class 500...just been discontinued not too long ago...anyways the prop is 10x8 three bladed....

I not very recently tried repairing one blade that snapped from a nose-in...yes, stilll learnng to fly as I have not many open fields and the one i have is a park for soccer....with light poles...sticking 50 feet up all over the field...you know what obstacles are to a newbie.

Anyways, I glued the blade to a prop with gorilla super glue from wal-mart....has some sort of additive which makes it elastic...my thought very barely elastic....and then when it is set...i sand it down to make it rough....put mesh tape...well, small strip to wrap around the breaking point (fiber mesh tape from home-depot that you use in joints to prevent cracking of backer boards), and finally I cover it with epoxy glue.

It worked...tested it while aircraft was static and held in place...full rpm for a short burst and some minutes of 60% power. It flew, full rpm take off, then 40-60% flights. No aerobatics...not ready for that anyways. Unfortunately, when it crashed with some nose contact, it broke again in that spot. But it was fine.

The other one did not work where two blades broke off...I did not sand it down well for epoxy. Full rpm they broke off.

Anyone ever tried that ?
Flying Pitcher is online now Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Last edited by Flying Pitcher; Apr 27, 2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: after reading around...
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:00 AM
Intentionally left blank
Joined Aug 2005
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher View Post
Anyone ever tried that ?
Generally not, due to the forces placed on a prop, bending force and a tension force, and ensuring it is strong enough.
Usually the cost of a prop is significantly smaller than the cost of removing it from flesh.
Not to mention the unreasonable attitude some people display when injured.

Best to chuck even a slightly damaged prop (bent, nicks and chips) in the bin and get a new one. Also the vibration of an unbalanced prop is not good for motor and electronics.
Magrat is offline Find More Posts by Magrat
Old Apr 28, 2013, 08:21 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
217 Posts
Hi Flying Pitcher
A prop can be very dangerous. What you have done is very dangerous. Please stop that. You getting hurt will give our hobby a bad name. If you cannot afford to replace a damaged prop, stop flying.
villapilote is online now Find More Posts by villapilote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:49 PM
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,475 Posts
Well, I thought I'd try that and see what happens. The reason I was not worried is because I fly in a very big space (update: big space with night lights in the field all over..like racing pylons) and early in the morning and never any spectators. Only birds that scream and quiet down after the crash. Also, I keep big distance from the airplane during all phase of flight.

Good points and thank you for warnings.

....newbies w/ their stupid ideas(me)...
Last edited by Flying Pitcher; Apr 28, 2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 01:36 PM
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
...Also the vibration of an unbalanced prop is not good for motor and electronics.
I checked and it looked balanced...well, as much as I could see with home-made balance checker...screwdriver
Old May 15, 2013, 12:43 PM
Addicted to lazy-flying models
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Apr 2013
122 Posts
Major no-no !

I remember a discussion about this subject at a flying club years ago, and one of the members showed off a scar. A "repaired" prop blade had separated under centripetal load and passed cleanly through his left ear. A couple of inches farther to the right and it could have killed him.

IMHO, particularly given how little props cost in the greater scheme of things, trying to repair a prop is one of the absolute no-no's of our hobby. It just isn't worth the risk. I beseech you to not do it!
azdiane is offline Find More Posts by azdiane
Old May 18, 2013, 11:33 PM
Lear 35, GII, GIII pilot
Hazlehurst GA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
I cannot imagine trying to repair a prop for any model I have. A failure would endanger my arm/face/hand/fingers....considering the cost of ANY new prop available today, I'd say it is silly(false economy) to try to fix a prop....just get a new one( no flaws!)
Learn from us who have had a prop fail....it's not worth it.(don't ask how I know)
agpilot24 is offline Find More Posts by agpilot24
Old May 23, 2013, 09:17 AM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Hope you are back up and flying

Good advice above and safety is the rule.

However, reading of where you fly and that you seem to be a tinkerer with ideas, i'd always support that when the person has a bit of common sense !
Have you ever tried a single bladed prop ?
The basis is that you weight the other side, make everything secure and well finished. There can be no case of "it'll do", or the motor is likely to fail pretty quickly anyway.
It'll balance in the same way as a 2 bladed prop, stopping at different places each time it is spun around.
Also, a modification should never be tested while stood at the side of it, bit of forward thinking and expecting a dramatic failure is the right way to consider something like this.

If you go to 7:10 in this video, he shows a 1 bladed prop on an Extra 330

1 Bladed prop Extra 330 demo + T-580 QuadCopter Lighting Tips . (9 min 38 sec)
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old May 24, 2013, 08:20 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,208 Posts
Considering the thread you started here: 3D Electric Heli Flying

Alert----- Newbie personal injury from main blades

and now this one, Anyone tried repairing a prop ? looks like your an acccident waiting to happen! You really need to adopt some safety standards and practices, before you do some bodily harm to yourself!!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old May 27, 2013, 07:49 AM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2013
184 Posts
Never re-use a broken prop, u could get a 11x7 2 blade APC prop, I come with spacers for the prop shaft, a 2 blade is more efficient anyways.
hawl131 is offline Find More Posts by hawl131
Old May 29, 2013, 12:30 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Props are cheap, buy another.

10x7 from MAS http://masterairscrew.com/10x73-blad...propeller.aspx

http://www.europemodels.eu/p_3853_3+...lass%29+2+pcs/
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker