SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:36 AM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
195 Posts
I used the stix-it before on another model, the only problem is that it is a bit thick and left the covering a bit uneven. The nitrate dope might work-I used it before on fuel soaked balsa and UltraCote stuck to it. I think I will take some scraps and try the #M spray and some dope and see what happens.
Bill
BStaley is offline Find More Posts by BStaley
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:01 AM
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
607 Posts
Yes, the StixIt can be thick, but it can be thinned with butyrate dope thinner, making it much easier to use and preventing brush strokes showing, which I also originally had problems with.

Scott
shinck is online now Find More Posts by shinck
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:08 PM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
195 Posts
Well it's about time...

OK, first assembly of all the pieces. Everything fits and lines up well, so now I have some extra motivation to get this thing finished.
Bill
Old Jan 31, 2014, 03:56 PM
Orlando "Buzzards" FL
Joined May 2002
1,184 Posts
Nice work Bill, can't wait to see it in person.
Raed
raed5 is online now Find More Posts by raed5
Old Feb 01, 2014, 02:44 AM
Manchester, UK
Joined Sep 2010
51 Posts
That. Is. Gorgeous.

Inspired.
Patitifa is offline Find More Posts by Patitifa
Old Feb 03, 2014, 02:15 PM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,527 Posts
A guy from my rc club has a Krick model that he flies both on the slope and towing.
It flies actually real nice both on the slope and have many 1 hour thermal flights.

Reiher, glider take off. (1 min 1 sec)

3 meter Reiher. (1 min 4 sec)

Good luck
Soren
SpeedsterDEN is offline Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:26 AM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
195 Posts
I got one wing sheeted. It turned out OK but there is a slight bowing between ribs. After I get the L/E shaped I'll decide if it needs to be fixed or leave it alone.
I'm gonna take a break from this for a short while-I have another project that I need to do. That's why this is called a "hobby" right?
Bill
Old Mar 01, 2014, 12:24 PM
Joined May 2004
1,487 Posts
What a work of art! Absolutely beautiful!
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Old Mar 14, 2014, 03:17 PM
Joined Sep 2013
2 Posts
Spoiler/airbrakes

Hello Bill

Quite a fascinating build and I hope to start mine in the coming months
Can you give me some direction as to where I maybe able to source the spoiler/airbrake units
Regards
dackfields is offline Find More Posts by dackfields
Old Mar 15, 2014, 02:18 AM
Casselberry, FL
Joined Mar 2007
195 Posts
I got the spoilers from Icare.-300mm on top, 370mm on bottom. Not exactly the scale dimension but as close as I could find. Here's the link:
http://www.icare-rc.com/airbrake.htm
Bill
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:18 AM
Joined Sep 2013
2 Posts
Brilliant !
Thanks much
Regards
dackfields is offline Find More Posts by dackfields
Old May 10, 2014, 08:16 PM
Joined Apr 2008
179 Posts
Anybody know about the Reiher with Flaps?

My Reiher Bomber is larger (Post # 35 above) but has exactly the same wing, by design. It requires maybe a mile or more of landing approach. I used to fly it a lot when our club had access to a full scale airport. Now with just a model airplane field its risky with anything but strong winds directly down the runway.

One Reiher authority said flaps are fatal on Reihers. Of course, my RB has no spoilers.
softshell29 is offline Find More Posts by softshell29
Old May 17, 2014, 06:00 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,554 Posts
Nice work! I wouldn't be too concerned about irregularities... the full scale items had the same 'issues' due to the nature of materials used.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old May 24, 2014, 08:41 PM
Joined Apr 2008
179 Posts
Thanks. so much

For your separate advice.

I think that clears it up.

I was wrong in recollecting the world's leading Reiher authority told me flaps are fatal. He said flaperons are fatal. Not flaps. Flaperons!

When I built my Reiher Bomber 12 -17 years ago, I was in the middle of a flaperon experiment. I knew flaps slow and tame aircraft for more successful landings, so I thought more flaps would be even better.

Boy, was I wrong.! I launched a series of actual flight tests with full span flaps. Time and again my planes--jets, traditional configurations and sailplanes , would fall out of the air while landing with full span flaps ( I mean flaperons enlisting both the flaps and ailerons into flaps service at landing).

Now I know that flaps effectively increase the washout of a wing. Thus, in the traditional, inboard, position, flaps make a plane not only slower, but also much less likely to tip stall. That means you never want flaps outboard since that cancels the benefit or even tips the balance the other way--much more likely to tip stall.

What the World's Reiher expert( who doesn't use RCG) told me was actually--don't use flaperons since this will cause an immediate fatal crash. After many months of flight testing, I agree.

So Reiher flaps should be as useful and safe as on any airplane. Maybe I'll reactivate mine so I won't need a full size airport to land the RB.
softshell29 is offline Find More Posts by softshell29